Author Topic: Mishu the sno leopard (working at the zoo)  (Read 2498 times)

Offline sarnewfie

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
    • HarborWinds Newfoundlands and Stain Glass
Mishu the sno leopard (working at the zoo)
« on: August 11, 2006, 03:20:49 am »
if there is enough interest, i will give more postings on the zoo work i am doing.
this is the most recent post i wrote on another board.

Mishu is a doll, i just love that cat, the sno leopard.
Today he was very playful, so kathy and i gave him a few of the peacock feathers to play with, he loved them, he also has very thin toenails, not at all like the thickness of a lion, he also loved the take the feathers and try to strip the beautiful strands off them.
He has gorgous gorgous eyes, i am going to try to capture him on cam tomorrow, it is my day off, and i have to run keys back to the zoo, i am going to try to get them to let me take pics in the building, though the fencing has small spaces and i am not sure the lens will ignore the fencing.
anyway, i fed the cougars across the way, and sprayed out their kennel, than looked, and mishu was across from me watching! he is so neat, he would not come in to eat, but did come in to watch me working, so i squated to his level, and i was talking to him, he would wrinkle his nose, and rub his head on the bars, i did take my hand and barely touched him, i watched his eyes, if they were not watching me from the direction he was headed with his head, i could put the flat of my hand against the cage and touch him that way as his fur pushed thru, he is extremly soft.
if he was looking back with the eyes, while rubbing, i said uh no! i dont want him to die due to my stupidity.
actually kathy said if he is in a happy loving mood, wich he obviously was, that i could touch the fur just as i did.
he was chasing me in the kennel , he has four connecting kennel rooms in a row, so i would run and he would follow, than he would jump extremly gentle up against the wires, and his paws would be up and it was so adorable.
i love his long long tail and his huge feet.
anyway, i would take him home if i could! 
Photography by Christine
http://harborwinds.fototime.com/PHOTOS FOR ORDERS

HarborWinds Newfoundlands&Search and Rescue
http://www.geocities.com/Petsburgh/Haven/4505

SA_horses

Re: Mishu the sno leopard (working at the zoo)
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2006, 03:35:30 am »
if there is enough interest, i will give more postings on the zoo work i am doing.

I would love to hear more about it, and I am sure that others would too!

Sofia

Offline PennyK

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2006, 09:21:24 am »
Neat!!

It must be facinating to touch a wild spirit like that.

I would love to hear more updates!
Every girl needs a Teddy bear!

Offline NoDogNow

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2006, 10:44:45 am »
I would LOVE to hear about all your zoo buddies. Tell us everything!  :D
Sheryl, Dogless and sad

Offline kathryn

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2006, 02:03:17 pm »
I love swapping zoo (work) stories.  Which zoo are you working at?  I would love to hear more.  It sounds like you are working with carnivores but is it only big cats?  Right now I am loving working with venomous but I do love being able to do different taxa at work.
Kaila - Belgian Malinois
Shiner - Malinois x Ridgeback
Toulouse, Cayenne, Raven - DSH

Due to recent budget cuts and the rising cost of electricity, gas and oil, as well as current market conditions, the Light at the End of the Tunnel has been turned off. We apologize for the inconvenience

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2006, 02:55:13 pm »
Ah, snow leopards.  When I worked at the zoo back home, they were my favorite charges.  The zoo had 4, but the old Pamir was my favorite.  I was heartbroken when they put him down at the end of the summer due to his age and health.  It was even harder for me, b/c the family cat at home was going thru the same health problems and was put to sleep the following year.

Offline -Molly-

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2006, 03:25:54 pm »
HECKS YES! That is so COOL! I'm really jealous and I would DEFINITLY like to hear more about it!
Distance makes the heart grow fonder.

Gypsy Jazmine

« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2006, 05:25:00 pm »
I am so envious!...That would be my dream job I think!...You are so lucky to get to be near & even touch what most people never will have the oppertunity to!...I bet your dogs give you a complete sniffing over at the end of the day! :D...Do you, by chance, get to work with wolves?...If so PLEASE tell all! ;D

Offline sarnewfie

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
    • HarborWinds Newfoundlands and Stain Glass
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2006, 11:40:08 pm »
Thanx everyone, seeing this went over well i will post the others!
i work at a small zoo in our town here, it is not well known.
i work with
wolves,sno leopard,cougar,bear, Birds of Prey,Big barn with assorted birds, fallow deer, Bison,sandhill cranes, Whitetail deer, prairie dogs,bearded dragons, a green dragon, fish, snakes,turtles, tortoise,the Big Red Barn, has two pigs, lambs goats and three cows ARRGGGG
and two donkeys, ducks, chickens and turkeys.
Photography by Christine
http://harborwinds.fototime.com/PHOTOS FOR ORDERS

HarborWinds Newfoundlands&Search and Rescue
http://www.geocities.com/Petsburgh/Haven/4505