Author Topic: Is she pure bred?  (Read 14150 times)

Offline lilqhgal

• Gnawer
  • Wataaya
    • View Profile
    • Cowgirl Expressions
Is she pure bred?
« on: August 11, 2006, 06:24:35 am »
I have a rescued Akita mix and have never had this breed before. I've taken her with me everywhere and some folks think she's purebred.  What are y'alls best gesses?  I'll post a couple pics and then post the only pic I have of her siblings (who were taken to the pound) which I took with my cell phone from above so they look sort of 'short'.

Offline lshelley21

• Big Paw Certified
  • Jazmine 7 months old
    • View Profile
Re: Is she pure bred?
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2006, 07:33:03 am »
i worked with an akita breeder for a while, i know that unless they are sick there tails are always on their backs. Not saying she is sick..in the picture she could be staring off at soemthing. She def. looks at least 99% akita...but be forwarned they do not do well with the same sex. I have a horrible story that happened at the breeders. Where two bitches  got in a huge fight between the fence... for no apparent reason. The breeder told me that if i noticed everyother kennel is a male, because males will fight for dominence, and the bitches fight to kill.   She is drop dead gorgiouse though. Good luck with her!!!!!!
Lauren, Jazmine (great dane)
Jazmine's pets:
Calvin (ferret)
Willy (ferret)
Samantha (ferret)
Baxter (ferret)
Ferrets friends:
Shirly and baldamore (geckos)
Gecko's friend:
Big D (fish)

Oh yeah.. my pet.. Matt (hubby)
Our pets are all above

Nicole

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2006, 08:03:37 am »
In the second picture, she looks VERY VERY GSD. Her hind legs are kinda squatty and slinky like a GSD, and she has that saddle. Also, the tail is NOT an akita tail.

She's absolutely stunning, though! But, probably not pure bred.

Ditto on the akita aggression thing. Careful!

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2006, 02:13:48 pm »
I'd have to concur that she's not purebred.  How old is she?  In her obedience classes she doesn't look very big, but I'm not sure how old she is in them.

I was going to say mixed with shepherd maybe, but the siblings don't look anything like shepherds (of course there could be different fathers, but that's a whole other story).  From the pix, it looks like her coat sits flat to the skin.  Akita's, like huskies (with which I am familiar with) have coats that stick straight out from the body, not flat like most breeds.  Which is why they look so fluffy all the time.  Also, something about her head just doesn't look right for an akita.  The way the ears are set isn't quite right for an akita.  And of course you have the tail issue.  If her tail isn't curled over the back, and akitas have a full curl of the tail, not a sickle shape (like huskies) she's got something else in her.  She is gorgeous though, and she definitely takes after the akita side of the genes.

I agree to be careful with an akita especially if you're not familiar with the breed.  They can be highly protective, and if she takes after the akita side in looks, she probably takes after it in personality as well.  Try to get her as socialized as you can, both with other dogs and people.  Akitas definitely a handful, and not for the faint of heart or inexperienced owner (not that you're inexperienced, I'm just saying in general)

Offline kathryn

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2006, 02:38:19 pm »
Her muzzle looks shorter than the Akitas I have seen.  She is a gorgeous girl though.  Sorry not much help other than that.
Kaila - Belgian Malinois
Shiner - Malinois x Ridgeback
Toulouse, Cayenne, Raven - DSH

Due to recent budget cuts and the rising cost of electricity, gas and oil, as well as current market conditions, the Light at the End of the Tunnel has been turned off. We apologize for the inconvenience

Offline Saint and Mal mom

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2006, 03:07:06 pm »
I think she looks purebred. I looked into getting an Akita for months before I got Zoey and Dolly. I think she's beautiful for sure, though, no matter what she is! By the way, welcome to BPO!
Marissa

Zoey- Alaskan Malamute, 4 years
Dolly, CGC- Saint Bernard, 4 years
Foster mom to Clarence- Basset Hound, 5 years

"To be loved by...any animal should fill us with awe-for we have not deserved it."

Offline -Molly-

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2006, 03:39:09 pm »
She definatly looks mostly Akita but her tail and her face are different.
Distance makes the heart grow fonder.

Offline Danegirl2208

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2006, 01:50:01 pm »
she looks purebred to me..so cute :) :)
« Last Edit: August 12, 2006, 01:50:26 pm by Danegirl2208 »

Offline lilqhgal

• Gnawer
  • Wataaya
    • View Profile
    • Cowgirl Expressions
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2006, 01:15:07 am »
Thanks guys!!!  I love my Big Dogs.  Always grew up with Danes (love all the pics by the way!)  I too didn't think she was full bred, but like I said I've never had one before.  I'm kind of glad her tail doesn't curl up, I personally don't like that look.  She also has the reserveness of an Akita, but thanks to finally knowing that she has a forever home here she warms up pretty good to other dogs.  And she's a good trail dog! (I have horses.)  We went riding a couple of weekends ago and she got along great with 2 rotties and 2 aussies.  A little kind of "off" at first meeting, but by the end of the day they were all pals.  She also **LOVES** water, so I was thinking x with a Lab??  She acts very 'ditzy' sometimes too, like a lab, and clumsy!  I've seen her fall off the porch cuz she wasn't paying attention.  Oh and on our trail ride, she fell off a 30 foot cliff into a river!  (another story for another time - her guardian angel was there for her!)  Thanks for the warm welcome and all the replies!  I posted here when I first got her (last summer) but for whatever reason didn't keep up with it.  Hopefully I can do so now.

Offline ReesKujo

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2006, 12:10:01 pm »
I'd say she has alot of Akita in her but not purebred.It's strange though because I've owned Two mixes and although they didn't have the full Akita curl like my purebreds they did have a curl.

Offline Saint and Mal mom

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2006, 01:50:51 pm »
She's just so pretty. I love her, no matter what she is. That tail curl reminds me of Alaskan Malamutes. I think she looks pretty with or without it!
Marissa

Zoey- Alaskan Malamute, 4 years
Dolly, CGC- Saint Bernard, 4 years
Foster mom to Clarence- Basset Hound, 5 years

"To be loved by...any animal should fill us with awe-for we have not deserved it."

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2006, 04:40:50 am »
don't know if this will help, but here is a pic of my akita / chow who weighs 75lbs.
steffanie in atlanta

aiden (4), tristan (2), & maya (born sept. 17th)
axle-140ish-lb akita (4)
peanut-5lb, 11 months chihuahua
[img width= height= alt=Image Hosted by ImageShack.us]http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/3339/alltogethernowme6.jpg[/img]

Offline ozzysma

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2006, 12:08:52 pm »
this was my hooch a chow akita mix  he is 10 here and alittle on the heavy side.patti

Offline Leah...

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2006, 10:48:04 pm »
Ya, just a little "heavy"! jk, he is gorgeus!

As for the pup, IMO, she is pure bred.

Akita's are one of those breeds that the show quaility stock look totally different from the pet stock. (look at my PB aussie for example! totally different from a show quality aussie) if you ask me, your pup is probably the equivalent of one of those "i have an akita, you have an akita, lets breed them!" type breedings. she is prob pure akita, just not the well-bred akita you are used to seeing. she is absolutly beautiful, none the less!

as far as personality/behaivor go, akitas are just as trainable as any other breed, don't let anyone tell you otherwise! yes, they may have DIFFERENT issues that need to be worked on, but you seem on the right track with the classes. for example, a lab or aussie or golden or the like may have serious issues with the figure 8 (in competetive obedience, a dog is asked to weave between two people in heel position with the handler.) because they want to say hello to every single person they come across. with an akita, you don't really have to worry about that but you may have to worry about the stand for exam (self explanitory) because an akita may not want a stranger walking up and poking him, with mom 8 feet away (maybe 6', can't remeber!)

so good luck with this gorgeus girl, i hope i have helped a little. i think there are some ok pictures of Bailey (my akita mix) in his paw print-take a look.

Leah
Leah
Mom to:
Sky- Australian Shepherd
Sammie- Newfoundland/Border Collie mix
Rose- Tortie/Tabby cat
Stinky- Silver Marten rabbit
Ruby, Mambo and Charlotte- Rats
Trevor- Frog
13 Millipedes
NO LONGER WITH US
Bailey the Wolf-Dog 1998-2007
Spanky- Rabbit 2000-2007

Offline kristin

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2007, 10:06:21 pm »
I realize that this is an old discussion, but I couldn't not reply. Purebred Akitas should have curled tails, but sometimes through injury or just genetics they don't go up. Its a disqualificati on in the show ring, but that doesn't mean they aren't purebred, your dogs tail looks just like an Akita tail, it just isn't held up. Also her ears are bigger than a show dogs should be, but again, individual dogs can vary alot.   
Akitas coats can also vary alot, her coat looks fine to me.  Some coats are more standoffish, but her coat looks like its in normal limits.  Her color is German Shepherdy but again, I have seen purebred Akitas that color.  Is she purebred?
very possibly. 

Kristin CPDT