Akitas > Akita Discussions

Is she pure bred?

(1/3) > >>

lilqhgal:
I have a rescued Akita mix and have never had this breed before. I've taken her with me everywhere and some folks think she's purebred.  What are y'alls best gesses?  I'll post a couple pics and then post the only pic I have of her siblings (who were taken to the pound) which I took with my cell phone from above so they look sort of 'short'.

lshelley21:
i worked with an akita breeder for a while, i know that unless they are sick there tails are always on their backs. Not saying she is sick..in the picture she could be staring off at soemthing. She def. looks at least 99% akita...but be forwarned they do not do well with the same sex. I have a horrible story that happened at the breeders. Where two bitches  got in a huge fight between the fence... for no apparent reason. The breeder told me that if i noticed everyother kennel is a male, because males will fight for dominence, and the bitches fight to kill.   She is drop dead gorgiouse though. Good luck with her!!!!!!

Nicole:
In the second picture, she looks VERY VERY GSD. Her hind legs are kinda squatty and slinky like a GSD, and she has that saddle. Also, the tail is NOT an akita tail.

She's absolutely stunning, though! But, probably not pure bred.

Ditto on the akita aggression thing. Careful!

ZooCrew:
I'd have to concur that she's not purebred.  How old is she?  In her obedience classes she doesn't look very big, but I'm not sure how old she is in them.

I was going to say mixed with shepherd maybe, but the siblings don't look anything like shepherds (of course there could be different fathers, but that's a whole other story).  From the pix, it looks like her coat sits flat to the skin.  Akita's, like huskies (with which I am familiar with) have coats that stick straight out from the body, not flat like most breeds.  Which is why they look so fluffy all the time.  Also, something about her head just doesn't look right for an akita.  The way the ears are set isn't quite right for an akita.  And of course you have the tail issue.  If her tail isn't curled over the back, and akitas have a full curl of the tail, not a sickle shape (like huskies) she's got something else in her.  She is gorgeous though, and she definitely takes after the akita side of the genes.

I agree to be careful with an akita especially if you're not familiar with the breed.  They can be highly protective, and if she takes after the akita side in looks, she probably takes after it in personality as well.  Try to get her as socialized as you can, both with other dogs and people.  Akitas definitely a handful, and not for the faint of heart or inexperienced owner (not that you're inexperienced, I'm just saying in general)

kathryn:
Her muzzle looks shorter than the Akitas I have seen.  She is a gorgeous girl though.  Sorry not much help other than that.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version