Author Topic: Considering having Thunder Stud a litter before he gets fixed..need advise  (Read 26063 times)

Jen

Hi
I want to let Thunder stud a litter with a respected breed,( don't have one particular in mind yet) and I have never done anything like that before so I was looking for advise and steps to take to ensure a good out come.  Your advise is welcome.  I have attached some pics of my boy, he is an all white Pyr and was hoping to find an all white female.

Jen

OMG big typo!  Breed should breeder!  Sorry

Hi
I want to let Thunder stud a litter with a respected breeder,( don't have one particular in mind yet) and I have never done anything like that before so I was looking for advise and steps to take to ensure a good out come.  Your advise is welcome.  I have attached some pics of my boy, he is an all white Pyr and was hoping to find an all white female.

Offline DixieSugarBear

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
Most think you get the best results by not breeding two all whites.  They say it is best to breed an all white with a dog with markings.

Lisa
Lisa, owned by the following:
Sugar Bear - Great Pyrenees 4.5 yr.
Dixie Darlin - Great Pyrenees 4 yr.
Penny Lane - Great Pyrenees 2.5 yr.
Beauman - Great Pyrenees 14 months
Izzy - Great Pyrenees 14 month
Rosie - Great Pyrenees (at the bridge)

Jen

Hum..........w onder why?  Do you know if there is a specific reason?

Offline DixieSugarBear

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
It is my understanding that when you breed two pure white pyrs you can get a loss of pigmentation. 

Lisa

Jen

AH yes the geneology factor!  Are you a breeder?  I really want to learn more.  I am looking into the OFA certs with our vet. What else should I do?

It is my understanding that when you breed two pure white pyrs you can get a loss of pigmentation.  

Lisa

Offline Saintgirl

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
If you are going to stuf Thunder out I would recommend finding a female that has been hip and joint certified, as well as a clean bill of health from a  vet for any genetic problems. Our big guys can have so many problems and it would save everyone involved with the future pups the grief from any of these problems. Good luck in finding a great mate for him, he is so beautiful.
Leah, Hutch, and Abbey

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
Good luck in finding a breeder. Out of curoisity, why are you going to fix him? Is the breeding just to have one of his pups or for another reason?

I am just asking becasue we have thought of breeding Bear in the past, and have thought of fixing him too buthave decided against both. I would love a baby of his but since we have no plans of showing him the line would look odd without a CH. in front of his name.
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

Jen

OK first of all thank you for you wonderful comments about Thunders looks!  Now,  one of the reasons Jabaer is that it's healthy to have them fixed but before I do that I want to have him breed because of a few reasons: Pyrs are LSG's not just show dogs and Thunders's LSG insticts are super strong, also I feel he is sooooooooooooo ooo beatiful and smart that he could definatly be CH if I had the time and lifestyle to do that.  I am not looking for money I actually am sure I will lose money because I will do full certs but only stud one time.  I want to donate an off spring to Neourlogical service dog group.  Pyrs make execellent alert dogs for Parkinson's and Seizures, Strokes and so on.. (neoro stuff)  My family has been stricken with several of these neoro diseases and I am very active in fight to find a cure, in the meantime they need service dogs, again a Pyr can have an uncanny sense of neoro signals and can alert the person and push them down into a chair for example. Thunder is good like that, if my daughter has a fever he will not leave her, not even for a treat!  She has had feveral seizure and been hospitalized for it before we had got Thunder.  Anyway that's why.  They do the service training close to my home so I could monitor the pups progress and if it didn't work out I would certainly take the puppy back and keep him or her forever.

Offline DixieSugarBear

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
No I am not a breeder, would love to be one day. I feel I should wait until I know alot more about the breed and breeding.  I want to make sure that I have something outstanding to add to the quality of the breed.   I was told by a show breeder that they never breed two all whites.  I was just passing on the information I was told.  Good luck with your guy.  If you find out any different information I would love to hear it. I want to spend the next two/three years learning everything I can about the breed, and starting to show Dixie.

Lisa

Offline DixieSugarBear

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
What a great reason to breed.  I wish you the best of luck.  I have ordered a few books from amazon on breeding. I will let you know if I find a good one with useful information.

Lisa

Jen

I put your 2 whites might equal loss of pigment to my Pyr Group.  They jumped all over it...not true, according that site.  Just thought I would share.  May I ask if you already know what you would like to do, why haven't you started showing?  Also if you are serious about the breed I am surprised you are not part of that Pyr group.  If you would like I will get you the info to become a member I for one would love to have you there.

Offline DixieSugarBear

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
I did see a post on another board I am on.  I have joined 8 pyr boards in the last few months.  As far as showing I plan to show Dixie, she is now 5 months.  I would love to show Sugar Bear but I had him fixed at 6 months.  We are in a very small town, and I am looking for a show judge to take a look at her and let me know what they think. I should be able to have that done this month.  After that is done I have to find a trainer to teach me how to show.  I hope to be able to show her this fall, as most show in my general area are in November due to the summer heat.  All of this is still very much in the planning stage.  My heart would love to breed Dixie but I am going to make sure I am doing the best thing for her and any puppies.  That means I have tons to learn. It would be great to have someone else in the process of learning to breed to share info with.

Lisa

Offline DixieSugarBear

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
I ask myself everyday, why I am thinking about showing and breeding.  It all comes down to what a great addition to my life my babies have been. First Rosie for 9 1/2 years, then Sugar Bear and Dixie.  They have each shown me that they can take a good life and make it great, and this is something I would love to share with other families.  Sappy I know but it is what I feel.  But I do know that I have alot to learn before it can be more than just a nice daydream. 

Lisa

ann

i'm kinda funny about breeding and please  don't take this the wrong   way but i think only dogs that have been health  tested and are of good tempermant should be bred and the new pups should have homes waiting for them ,i just feel so many people breed for the wrong reasons and we have so many pups and dogs in shelters and rescue....if i were you i would go to a dog show and ask breeders alot  of ???good luck let us know...

ann