Author Topic: Considering having Thunder Stud a litter before he gets fixed..need advise  (Read 26057 times)

Jen

Lisa,

Yes I do ask myself that everyday too.  And what a day dream!  They are a dreamy breed aren't they!  I am glad you are on that other site, I haven't seen posts from you there I guess you are in the lurking stage.  I have never been the lurking type, I am too opinionated it would be too hard to restrain myself!   ;)  Yes I am starting the process as well, I don't like the show dog scene after adopting an ex-show girl.  There is such an UGLY side to it, oh I didn't like what I learned AT ALL!

Jen

Yes of course I would do OFA's and all the responsible health checks and gaurantees.  I am very active with another site that have rescue chairs and fosters and breeders and vets and I have learned so much!  I don't make a move without triple checking!!!  I have adopted an x show dog and I have ISSUES with some of the common practices among show dog owners. BELEIVE ME I won't take caution the wrong way, I appreciate it!

i'm kinda funny about breeding and please  don't take this the wrong   way but i think only dogs that have been health  tested and are of good tempermant should be bred and the new pups should have homes waiting for them ,i just feel so many people breed for the wrong reasons and we have so many pups and dogs in shelters and rescue....if i were you i would go to a dog show and ask breeders alot  of ???good luck let us know...

ann

Offline DixieSugarBear

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
I may find the same thing about the shows, that is why I am taking it slow. The most important thing for me is to make sure my two babies are happy.  I want to be sure that we as a family have fun doing or we will just find somethig else to do. I could never have a kennel show dog, that was not a full member of the family.  For me my fur-babies are my kids, and that is just the way I like it. 

I do post on the other board some, most of the time it is questions. 

Lisa
Lisa, owned by the following:
Sugar Bear - Great Pyrenees 4.5 yr.
Dixie Darlin - Great Pyrenees 4 yr.
Penny Lane - Great Pyrenees 2.5 yr.
Beauman - Great Pyrenees 14 months
Izzy - Great Pyrenees 14 month
Rosie - Great Pyrenees (at the bridge)

Jen

If you want I will tell you privately what I have found.  I don't want to get sued for posting it. But I can tell you it will be over my dead body that one of my fur babies enters a buiding with a show going on, after what I have learned! This is where I lose interest in breeding when the CH factor comes into play.  I am totally in to OFA and all health checks but I get sick after adopting an x-show dog knowing what she has been through and learning what common practices intail.  It is subject to great debate and I have a firm stand on which side of the debate I am on.  I know I am going to have a problem finding a breeder I approve!

Jen

I may find the same thing about the shows, that is why I am taking it slow. The most important thing for me is to make sure my two babies are happy.  I want to be sure that we as a family have fun doing or we will just find somethig else to do. I could never have a kennel show dog, that was not a full member of the family.  For me my fur-babies are my kids, and that is just the way I like it.  

I do post on the other board some, most of the time it is questions.  

Lisa

Offline DixieSugarBear

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
I just e-mailed you Jen.

Offline DixieSugarBear

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
This is what I have read in " The New Complete Great Pyrenees"
book by Paul Strang.

"When all-white dogs are mated to all-white bitches, there is a
grave danger that pigmentation will breakdown. If this is carried
for several generations, missing pigment is almost a certainty. In
addition, one approaches the problem of albinism,including deafness
and impaired vision. Accordingly, only the most knowledgeable
breeder who is familiar with the markings and pigmentation of all
the dogs on both sides of the pedigree for at least three
generations will attempt to breed two pure-white Pyrenees"

Lisa

Offline taijinrr

• Big Paws-a-holic
  • we breed for quality, not quantity.TOP PEDIGREES,
    • View Profile
    • http:www.taijinrhodesianrhodesianridgebacks
Re: Considering having Thunder Stud a litter before he gets fixed..need advise
« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2006, 04:13:38 pm »
AH yes the geneology factor!  Are you a breeder?  I really want to learn more.  I am looking into the OFA certs with our vet. What else should I do?

It is my understanding that when you breed two pure white pyrs you can get a loss of pigmentation.  

Lisa

that's what i was looking to hear, also, thunders pedigree and his hip/elbow ofa or pre limb???
breed to make better dogs,,,,,,,,,,,not more
my motto
TAIJIN Rhodesian Ridgebacks

Offline DixieSugarBear

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
Re: Considering having Thunder Stud a litter before he gets fixed..need advise
« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2006, 05:47:19 pm »
Oh yes, this post started off quite a trip for Thunders Mom.  She now does not have any plans breed him and has had him fixed.  She can now tell you the pedigree history of most of the top Great Pyrenees in the country.  She has a great mentor and is learning from some of the best people in Pyrs.  We share links several time a week on different show and or Pyr sites.

Lisa

Offline stryder

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
VolvoRottie
Me thinks you spent too much time on your rant and not enough keeping up with the posts.
You made good points about breeding in general. Please don't aim at one individual.
THoM
Spay before the first heat NOT after the first litter.
Neuter before he runs away.

Offline DixieSugarBear

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
Did I miss something?  This was from over a year ago. Jenn and I have both learned tons since then. Dixie is showing now and I have my second show pup on the way. Yes when we first get started it is in daydreams. We were just looking for other to share our excitement and give up tips to get where we need to go. 

Lisa

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
You are right Lisa...this thread is very old.
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

Offline Gevaudan_Jo

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile

I put your 2 whites might equal loss of pigment to my Pyr Group.  They jumped all over it...not true, according that site.  Just thought I would share.  May I ask if you already know what you would like to do, why haven't you started showing?  Also if you are serious about the breed I am surprised you are not part of that Pyr group.  If you would like I will get you the info to become a member I for one would love to have you there.

I know with my bullies, breeding two whites can cause loss of pigments.. and this makes their noses and feet VERY pink and the lips even lose color... Which is why most bull terrier breeders will breed white to colored, or white with marking to colored... a few breeders still do white on white, but its when they have GREAT lines...  i dont know if this is true with pyrs. but it IS in the bull terriers...
Jodi & Darcy
Proud Parents of
Zero-Bull Terrier
Jigsaw-Bull Terrier
Repo- Jigsaw's baby Bull Terrier
Reba-Chinese Crested
Pavi-Xolo
Simba,Sabbath,Kimahri, Lil' Meow & Slimon-Cats
Robin the hermit crab and the 8 legged freak, Webley!
~ waiting at the bridge, Zeus and Memphis, great danes ~