Author Topic: Image Sizes - How to Easily Make them smaller (XP Users)  (Read 19643 times)

Offline ptkennel

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
    • Prairie Trail Kennel
Re: Image Sizes - How to Easily Make them smaller (XP Users)
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2006, 07:57:24 am »
I've have been using photoimpressio ns to cut and crop my photos, but haven't been playing with the pixels.  I just tried a pic with less pixels, is this better?
Joy, Newfoundland
Gabi, Newfoundland
Amy, Irish Wolfhound
Sara, Irish Wolfhound
Gintaro, Irish Wolfhound (from Poland)
Desa, our Borzoi
4 Irish Wolfhound puppies, Saturn, Gemini, Delta and Mercury
www.prairietra ilkennel.com

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2006, 08:00:42 am »
I've have been using photoimpressio ns to cut and crop my photos, but haven't been playing with the pixels.  I just tried a pic with less pixels, is this better?
that be the trick!  you got it under 100 KB which is pretty good.  Pixels is playing with the size.  :)  your photoimpressio ns prgram may be able to be changed to resize by something other than pixels...but that did the trick.  now let me go look at that fuzzy little face.

Offline brandon

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
    • HaveParrotWillTravel.com
« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2006, 08:18:06 am »
I think I'm not getting across on how easy this utility is to use.  It just adds a selection to the right click mouse menu.

Here's a visual :)
“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.â€

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2006, 08:22:31 am »
I think I'm not getting across on how easy this utility is to use.  It just adds a selection to the right click mouse menu.

Here's a visual :)
I think I'll try it.  How long does it take to download on dial up?? :)
I can resize with my kodak easyshare software and microsoft digital photo editor.    but another program never hurts!!

Offline ptkennel

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
    • Prairie Trail Kennel
« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2006, 08:24:33 am »
there is a % option as well as a pixel option lins_savin_gra ce.  Thanks
And Brandon, I am going to definatley get my hubby to download that program as soon as he can get off the swather.  We are harvesting right now.  We live on a farm and everything is ready now.. We had up till 6 months ago, dial up only, now we have a satellite dish for the computer seperate form the phone, thank goodness.  Still not as fast as high speed but close. ;D
Joy, Newfoundland
Gabi, Newfoundland
Amy, Irish Wolfhound
Sara, Irish Wolfhound
Desa, our Borzoi

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2006, 08:30:52 am »
there is a % option as well as a pixel option lins_savin_gra ce.  Thanks
And Brandon, I am going to definatley get my hubby to download that program as soon as he can get off the swather.  We are harvesting right now.  We live on a farm and everything is ready now.. We had up till 6 months ago, dial up only, now we have a satellite dish for the computer seperate form the phone, thank goodness.  Still not as fast as high speed but close. ;D
yes!!! The percentage is good too!  you should be able to see what size the pic is by looking at the properties after you save a pic...or by swiping it with the mouse till a little box pops up and gives you the properties to the doc.  I try to keep my pics to about 300 or less.  and if it's a 1.0 MB pic I resize it about 50% and that gets it down to 300KB or so. 

Offline brandon

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
    • HaveParrotWillTravel.com
« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2006, 08:36:04 am »
If you edit/crop every image it probably wouldn't be very useful for you, but if you are in a hurry and just want to post the images straight from the camera, then it is such a timesaver.

Just trying to help the people who don't have either the time, the software or the knowledge to edit their photos.

Lin, I think it would probably take about 5 minutes or so on dial-up, it is only about 500k.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2006, 08:37:47 am by brandon »
“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.â€

Offline ptkennel

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
    • Prairie Trail Kennel
« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2006, 08:39:37 am »
thanks Lin, I didn't realize the pics were that slow till I was reading something where my pic was on and it was taking forever.  I love BPO, so much help and info. :D
Joy, Newfoundland
Gabi, Newfoundland
Amy, Irish Wolfhound
Sara, Irish Wolfhound
Desa, our Borzoi

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #23 on: August 14, 2006, 08:40:53 am »
If you edit/crop every image it probably wouldn't be very useful for you, but if you are in a hurry and just want to post the images straight from the camera, then it is such a timesaver.

Just trying to help the people who don't have either the time, the software or the knowledge to edit their photos.

Lin, I think it would probably take about 5 minutes or so on dial-up, it is only about 500k.
I am going to be all over that then.  thanks Brandon.  you are the man!!!

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 14, 2006, 09:21:47 am »
  Thanks everyone for answering my questions. This is the first place I've downloaded pictures and I should have asked these questions a while ago. Maybe someone could make a "Sticky" (is that the right term?) with guidelines for downloads to help out new members.

That's a good idea. I will work on that when I get a chance :)
RIP former BPO

Offline Newf Lover

• BPO Fanatic
  • Cool dog + Cold beer = Chilled Out
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ryanbrumley.com
« Reply #25 on: August 14, 2006, 09:48:48 am »
The easiest thing you can do, especially if you have Photoshop, is click on Image Size-> then change the pixels to 72 dpi.  After you have done that, save that altered image as a copy and you won't ruin the original image you were working with. After you post the copy on BPO, you can delete it.  That's what I always do and the images usually come out fine.  You can sharpen the image as well, under the Filter selection, to make it clearer to see.  FYI - images online are only displayed in 72 dpi, that is the limit for the internet, using anything more than that is unnecessary and will usually result in images too large to completely see.  Images that are saved in 180-300 dpi are really only for reprinting or manipulation.  Hope this helps!  ;)
« Last Edit: August 14, 2006, 09:51:13 am by Newf Lover »
My Newfoundland Lives My Life As Passionately As I Live His.

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #26 on: August 14, 2006, 09:57:53 am »
  Thanks everyone for answering my questions. This is the first place I've downloaded pictures and I should have asked these questions a while ago. Maybe someone could make a "Sticky" (is that the right term?) with guidelines for downloads to help out new members.

That's a good idea. I will work on that when I get a chance :)

although we've always been a little tickled to see our new members fumble with posting pictures.  :)

Offline saintbarney

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
    • Dog Care Central
« Reply #27 on: August 25, 2006, 07:21:41 pm »
I installed that program, and it is SOOO easy!

All I had to do was find the picture I wanted, right click and select "resize picture" and a little menu came up. Then all I had to do was select the size I wanted. Easy! The BEST part is that it saved it as a copy so that my original picture was still there for future printing. Yay!

Thanks for sharing this program! I share a LOT of pictures and I get so sick of opening them up in PSP, resizing, and saving picture as new, going back to my browser, locating the picture and selecting it. This is way handy!

Also...downloa ding was simple...anyon e can do it. I clicked on the link Brandon provided and download begun immediately. It popped up and asked if I wanted to run it or save it, and I hit "run" and with dsl it downloaded in just a few seconds. I don't think dialup would take more than a few minutes. Once it downloaded, you hit "run" again and it installs. Easy! I love anything to make my life easier!  :-*
« Last Edit: August 25, 2006, 07:33:12 pm by saintbarney »
~Danielle~
www.dog-care-central.com
Wheels for Weebles

My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am. ~Author Unknown