Author Topic: Looking to get another newf pup  (Read 2862 times)

Offline ptkennel

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
    • Prairie Trail Kennel
Looking to get another newf pup
« on: August 16, 2006, 03:28:32 am »
I have been thinkin long and hard about this and am not too sure what we should do so I thought we lok to you guys for advice.  We have a five month newf pup, we would like to get another.  We have an opportunity to get one from two seperate places. The first, we have a deposit from Feb. already, problems in the pups, (not what we were looking for at the time), the dog is just being bred now so we prpbably won't get one until at least Dec. end of.  The second is due any day and then October or something like that.  The first lives in Ontario (the dog will have to be sent to us), the second live in North Battleford(we can drive to pick up)
Oh I could tell you so much more but maybe , am I making a mistake thinking about this at all.  Our baby newf is getting ready to show for the fall, and I have never done that either.  Holly cow right? :-\
Joy, Newfoundland
Gabi, Newfoundland
Amy, Irish Wolfhound
Sara, Irish Wolfhound
Gintaro, Irish Wolfhound (from Poland)
Desa, our Borzoi
4 Irish Wolfhound puppies, Saturn, Gemini, Delta and Mercury
www.prairietra ilkennel.com

Offline chaos270

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
Re: Looking to get another newf pup
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2006, 04:16:53 am »
I'm going against my usual response of yay puppy!  I think you should wait a little longer.  I don't think your current pup has hit the bratty stage yet where they get into everything, forget their names and everything they were taught.  Almost every newf I've known has gone through the stage and they seem to live to make your life miserable.  If you don't believe me look in the newf board for the thread on adolescents. I think if you were to get a pup when that stage starts plus trying to show, you may get a little overwhelmed.  Kali was very slow to settle down and still tries stuff and she's 20 months.  I'd wait til your pup's attitude becomes tolerable again then get the puppy!  Either way I want puppy pics eventually!

PS Potty training in the winter is aweful but that depends on where you live.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2006, 04:18:33 am by chaos270 »
Erin and the critters
Kali ~ the newf
Lacey ~ the aussie 
Gabby ~ Holsteiner mare
Fire ~ Appendix Quarter Horse/Belgian gelding
Lilah and Hannah ~ Kali's kitties

Offline MommaBear

• Paw-meister
  • baby bear
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2006, 09:41:49 am »
I'm going against my usual response of yay puppy!  I think you should wait a little longer.  I don't think your current pup has hit the bratty stage yet where they get into everything, forget their names and everything they were taught.  Almost every newf I've known has gone through the stage and they seem to live to make your life miserable. 

OK so Bear will grow out of this eventually then...her current trick of the day is I will not walk anywhere. So I thought maybe she was sick....but she seems to play fetch running for balls no problem.

I agree, you may want to hold off on another puppy -- its a lot of work especially if you are showing Joy and will need to be very involved in her training/care.

Offline Nina

• Supreme Drooler
  • In Loving memory 12/30/05 8:30pm We miss you
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2006, 09:46:08 am »
Hey I am getting a newf from Ontario, and the pup will be ready in December! I wonder if it is from the same breeder?

Nina
Nina and Tim
Calgary, AB, Canada
Harley(Lab mix)
Dilbert(Pyr mix)At the bridge
Jolene (cat)

Offline ptkennel

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
    • Prairie Trail Kennel
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2006, 12:33:40 pm »
By the Creek Newfoundlands??? Thats where we are dealing through.  The bitch is being bred now or trying to be bred.  Not sure when the pups are due yet.  See if she gets preggie.
Joy, Newfoundland
Gabi, Newfoundland
Amy, Irish Wolfhound
Sara, Irish Wolfhound
Gintaro, Irish Wolfhound (from Poland)
Desa, our Borzoi
4 Irish Wolfhound puppies, Saturn, Gemini, Delta and Mercury
www.prairietra ilkennel.com

Offline Saint and Mal mom

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2006, 03:52:12 pm »
Five months old, huh? If you've got the time and think you can handle it, I say go for it. But believe me, my two are 2 months apart and it was a nightmare sometimes for me. But they are good pals for each other because they are about the same age, and your 2 could be also.
Marissa

Zoey- Alaskan Malamute, 4 years
Dolly, CGC- Saint Bernard, 4 years
Foster mom to Clarence- Basset Hound, 5 years

"To be loved by...any animal should fill us with awe-for we have not deserved it."