Author Topic: hi everyone!  (Read 5461 times)

Offline Krystal_00

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
hi everyone!
« on: August 11, 2006, 07:04:57 pm »
Hi everyone, Im new around here and I just wanted to say hi and to show you all pictures of my baby! His name is Mack and he is 4 months old.
When the last fish has been caught and the last tree has been cut down...Only then will man realize that he cannot eat money.

Gypsy Jazmine

Re: hi everyone!
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2006, 07:33:07 pm »
I love that name!...It fits him well!...Welcome to BPO!...I'm Chelle & my BIG paws are Samson, Pippin & Sheba who are all great Pyrenees...I'm glad to have you & Mack on board! :)

Offline MagicM3

• Paw-meister
  • *Sir William
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2006, 09:36:15 pm »
Welcome Krystal and Mack
from me,Tricia and the fur kids,Magic,Emma,Falkor

Your guys are gonna love it here.

Offline Saint and Mal mom

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2006, 09:06:02 am »
Hello there! Mack is so cute, oh my goodness! I'm Marissa, mom to Dolly a Saint Bernard and Zoey an Alaskan Malamute. Welcome to Big Paws Only! Keep the pics of that cutie coming!
Marissa

Zoey- Alaskan Malamute, 4 years
Dolly, CGC- Saint Bernard, 4 years
Foster mom to Clarence- Basset Hound, 5 years

"To be loved by...any animal should fill us with awe-for we have not deserved it."

Offline Fumble

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2006, 09:14:09 am »
Hi Mack! Welcome to BPO!! I love the last picture w/ the legs hanging off!! Sooo cute!
"My newfoundlands live my life as passionately as i live theirs"
"I slip the hater of what i've become.  they slip the halter of what they've been, and we live together, passionately, changed"
-Both from "in the company of newfies"

WE REPRESENT THE LOLLIPOP GUILD!!!

mjjensen

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2006, 09:18:52 am »
  Welcome to BPO. I'm dad to Sam and Max who are Newf/Pyr mixes and 1 year old and Duncan the Newf who just turned 8 months. Great pictures, especially the last one.

Offline BlackGreatF

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2006, 09:29:06 am »

YOU WILL love it here.
My name is Ruta, I am owned by a Great Pyrenees Mix named Kuma, and a Foxhound mix named Lugan.
Thia place is very informative, and ADDICTING!
WELCOME

Offline Krystal_00

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2006, 09:58:47 am »
Hi everyone!

Thanks for the warm welcome!

I have a question for everyone. Mack is very shy. Like so shy that if he goes out on the front step and there is someone outside that he doesnt know he wont move, wont go pee, wont go in the backyard or anything! When people that he doesnt know try and pet him he cowers away, unless i sit beside him and make him stay while someone pets him. Hes also very frightened of loud things. I try and bring him with me whenever i go somewhere to get him used to people and everyday sounds but he is just so stubborn!!

anyone else have a shy doggie? how do you get passed this?
When the last fish has been caught and the last tree has been cut down...Only then will man realize that he cannot eat money.

Offline Saint and Mal mom

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2006, 10:27:55 am »
Sounds like you're on the right track with trying to take him places and introduce him to new things. Since he is so shy, just try to go nice and slow. Let him meet one new person or animal or go to one new place a day. Not too many people at once or it may overwhelm him. Sorry I don't have more advice than that, but I guarantee that others will! Good luck with him!
Marissa

Zoey- Alaskan Malamute, 4 years
Dolly, CGC- Saint Bernard, 4 years
Foster mom to Clarence- Basset Hound, 5 years

"To be loved by...any animal should fill us with awe-for we have not deserved it."

Lyn

« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2006, 11:31:42 am »
I'm going through the same thing with Lola and she is also 4 months old.

I know there is a 'fear stage' between 8-11 weeks. But our big paws are generally late bloomers, maybe it affects them a little later?

I agree with Saint and Mal mom.. go slow and don't soothe or baby him when he's afraid. Maybe try luring him with his favorite treat or distract him with a toy. Get the person he's afraid of to give him the treat.

If people approach Lola too quickly or bend over her to pet her she will dodge their hand and move to the side. But if they get down to her level when greeting they don't seem so scary to her.

She's just getting to the point now where she will approach strangers herself.. she's just hoping they have a treat for her.. but hey it's a start. LOL

Sorry I don't have better suggestions.. I'm still trying to figure this out myself.. But try the above. It's definitely helping build Lola's confidence.

Offline Krystal_00

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2006, 11:48:23 am »
Thanks! Now I just have to figure out what kind of treats he likes! He is super picky! Maybe when he figures out just how big he is he will be less scared! I swear he thinks he is a shihzu(the people upstairs from us have one) cause he sits right in my lap when I'm watching tv or tries to sleep right on top of me at night!! He is suuuuch a mommas boy!!

Well we will figure it out sooner or later! It's all just part of the great Saint adventure!

Offline BellaRoosMom

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2006, 07:39:02 pm »
OMG!  I feel a case of PUPPY FEVER coming on....  Welcome to BPO, you'll love it here.  I never had the shy puppy so I can't help you with that, but it sounds like your socializing him well enough, and I agree with the other post not to overdo it.  They're like skinkids - clean slates.

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2006, 01:48:39 pm »
Welcome to BPO Krystal. Mack is adorable :)
RIP former BPO

Offline PennyK

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2006, 04:07:30 am »
Ohhh!  Mack is just the cutest!  LOL!

I'm Penny and my big baby is 7.5 month old Teddy.  Ted still thinks he's a lap dog too - all 115 lbs of him!  LOL!

Welcome a-board!
Every girl needs a Teddy bear!

Offline The Brindle Pack

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2006, 04:50:35 am »
Welcome to the group.  Mack is just too cute.

My Tucker dog started out as being shy and no matter how hard I tried he never warmed up to strangers.  In his case because of health issues he really developed a distrust and although he is not aggressive he wants NOTHING to do with humans.  The only think I can suggest is while Mack is young keep taking him out.  Tyra my dane was also a tad shy when she was young and we just kept taking her out.  The best place was the local farmer's market.  Now she LOVES it and all the attention she gets.  Scooter has always liked people it was getting him use to other dogs.  Just getting him out meeting other dogs and he has overcome his fear.  He now runs and plays with ALL the buddies at the dog park.

Again, welcome to the group.

Cindy