Author Topic: Drake is suddenly extra hungry, Health Issue?  (Read 3876 times)

Offline Newf Lover

• BPO Fanatic
  • Cool dog + Cold beer = Chilled Out
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ryanbrumley.com
Drake is suddenly extra hungry, Health Issue?
« on: August 18, 2006, 06:14:38 am »
We've noticed that ever since we got back from our trip, Drake has been extra ravenous.  He normally won't even touch his food unless we put a little broth or hot water/meat in it, now he goes straight for the bowl and starts eating the dry kibble.  He has never done that and he eats his food as fast as possible.  Should we be concerned?  Can a sudden eating change like this be a problem?  I know if dogs are off their food it can be bad, but if they suddenly become ravenous like a hippy who just smoked 3 joints, is that a bad thing?  Any advice or knowledge on this would be appreciated.  :-\
My Newfoundland Lives My Life As Passionately As I Live His.

Offline kathryn

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
Re: Drake is suddenly extra hungry, Health Issue?
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2006, 06:47:39 am »
I don't know that I would be concerned quite yet.  I would definitely keep a close eye on him and maybe grab a fecal sample and take to the vet.  It could just be that he didn't eat really well while you were gone and now he is making up for lost time since he is back in his comfort zone.  By the way, the mental image that the hippy reference conjured up was priceless!  Thanks for the laugh.
Kaila - Belgian Malinois
Shiner - Malinois x Ridgeback
Toulouse, Cayenne, Raven - DSH

Due to recent budget cuts and the rising cost of electricity, gas and oil, as well as current market conditions, the Light at the End of the Tunnel has been turned off. We apologize for the inconvenience

Offline lshelley21

• Big Paw Certified
  • Jazmine 7 months old
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2006, 06:49:10 am »
I know that when jaz goes away with us she does the same thing... she will eat like a fiene.... the whole time and then come home and not eat... (so the oposite) but if he was go go go the whole time then he needs to make up for those lost calories, plus he is still growing right? Perhaps he is telling you to feed a little more...
Lauren, Jazmine (great dane)
Jazmine's pets:
Calvin (ferret)
Willy (ferret)
Samantha (ferret)
Baxter (ferret)
Ferrets friends:
Shirly and baldamore (geckos)
Gecko's friend:
Big D (fish)

Oh yeah.. my pet.. Matt (hubby)
Our pets are all above

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2006, 07:14:04 am »
I'd worry too.  Maybe a fecal is a good idea since you have no idea what he got in to while you were gone!  You just never know about these guys!!! ;)

Offline doglover

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2006, 07:23:33 am »
I would do the fecal sample too. It doesn't take long and it can give you peace of mind.

Offline longshadowfarms

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
    • Longshadow Farms
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2006, 08:21:17 am »
Did he come with you on your trip or did he stay behind?  If he came with you, how did he eat on the trip?  If he stayed behind, I'd ask the kennel how he ate.  How long have you been back?  Worms are definitely a possibility but I wouldn't think they'd kick in that quickly.  I'd be more likely to think it was from not eating as well while you were gone if he is normally a picky eater and/or being more active than normal.  Even just not sleeping as much as at home may make him hungrier now.
Daphne

Offline Newf Lover

• BPO Fanatic
  • Cool dog + Cold beer = Chilled Out
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ryanbrumley.com
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2006, 09:29:59 am »
Thanks guys, I called Drake's vet office and they said that it might be a good idea to bring in a fecal sample.  They said it could be worms or some other issues but obviously it's impossible to diagnose over the phone.  For all of you who asked, we went to Alaska and Drake stayed at home with my Brother and girlfried who housesat for us.  They've watched him before and we told them exactly what to feed him, so I don't know what the problem is.  He's hardly a neglected dog, more like a spoiled brat.  Any way, time will tell and I'm sure he'll be fine.  I'll let you all know.
My Newfoundland Lives My Life As Passionately As I Live His.

Icerotti

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2006, 06:17:50 am »
How is Drake?