Author Topic: Nicki Brings up an interesting subject...  (Read 14297 times)

Nicole

Nicki Brings up an interesting subject...
« on: June 16, 2005, 11:33:18 am »
Nicker told us in another post how her teeny-weeny-Wangus got his name...

How did everyone else name their fluff-balls?

Cabeza has kind of a funny story. Cabeza means "head" in Spanish. When I got him, he was just supposed to be a foster dog. He had heart worms, and I was going to foster him until the treatment was over, and then he would be adopted out. Well, obviously he wasn't very healthy, so he was pretty thin. But, he still had that big ol' Newfie head of his. So, the whole time we fostered him, we always called him "Big Head" or "the big head dog". (well...my brother-in-law called him Tard, but that's a different story) Anyway, once we fell in love with him and decided to keep him, we realized that "Big Head" wasn't very nice. Besides, he had started to put on weight, and his head didn't look SO ridiculously huge! So, we named him Cabeza. "Head" in Spanish. hehee!

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
    • Be my friend on myspace!
Re: Nicki Brings up an interesting subject...
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2005, 12:18:58 pm »
Oasis: my boyfriend at the time (long gone, thank goodness) had a friend who was in a metal band. We would go to his house to watch them practice. One day, he had a collie mix puppy tied to a truck in his backyard. I asked about him and he said his neighbor took him from a home that was abusing him. He told them, "you obviously don't want this dog, let me take him off your hands." and just took him even though he had nowhere to keep him. My bf's friend asked if I wanted him, and I untied him and walked him home. The only song that this band played that I liked was a ballad called "Lost in Oasis". I was at a really bad point in my life at that time (possessive boyfriend, emotionally abusive, etc.) and this dog was a ray of light for me - my own personal Oasis so the name fit. Soon after, I kicked bf out!!

Rocko: since he was an Australian Shepherd we wanted an australian name. Since we don't know much about Australia, but the cartoon "Rocko's Modern Life" featuring a cute little wallaby was popular at the time we picked that. Sorry, not as exciting as the first story!!

Buster Brown: I am known in my neighborhood as the lady who takes in strays. I had just adopted out a terror of a little dog who had chewed up several doors, shoes, papers, etc. (but, admittedly was awfully cute) when a neighbor came knocking on my door and said, "there's a dog running around and I wanted to know if you want it?"  Not really, I thought, but instead replied "what kind of a dog?"  "Well, I think it's a collie?  No. It's not really a collie, it's more like a... like a Buster Brown."  I stepped outside and running past my house was the skinniest, most pathetic beagle I had ever seen. I called to him and he flattened out, ears back and looked at me with such a scared look on his face. There are woods behind my house where people often hunt. I suspect he wasn't much of a hunter and KNOW he was beaten quite often (it took him almost 2 years to start playing with the other dogs - he'd just sit back and watch and if you made ANY kind of sudden movement he'd cower. Even now, he flinches if I go to kiss him on the head.). He was so full of heartworms we had to treat him twice, but now he is sweet and beautiful and oh, so happy. "Buster Brown" just seemed like the perfect name.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2005, 12:22:17 pm by jjfritsche »
"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principle difference between dog and man." -- Mark Twain

Nicole

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2005, 12:24:16 pm »
Aw! Good stories and your dogs are all SO CUTE! The pic of Buster Brown made me smile and laugh out loud! hehehe!

Nicole

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2005, 12:30:48 pm »
hahahaha! How funny!

I used to date a guy that watched that movie literally once a week! What's up with that?

Offline mamadog

• Big Paw Certified
  • This is me and my Finn
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2005, 12:47:39 pm »
Fun topic! Let's see how I do with this...

Sakwa and Tali: We wanted a dog for a long time but waited till we had our own home. Then we looked for months at a shelter before finding "Chrissy and Rascal" sisters. We had to have them both because we were in love and couldn't have seperated them for anything...how mean would that be??  We couldn't chose names for them no matter how hard we tried. We didn't want to name them like Jack and Jill or anyting like that, but we wanted names that sounded good together and none of the names we thought of fit them (and we certainly weren't going to call them Chrissy and Rascal- the names the shelter gave to them)  So my husband kept calling them Thing 1 and Thing 2, which was cute, but not fitting. So we decided on Sakwa and Tali... Sakwa is Cherokee for "one" and Tali is Cherokee for "two". We spell them a bit differently and pronounce them a bit more smoothly than they are supposed to sound though. it's hard to call "Sa-quu-i" (SAH-kwa) and "Ta-li" (Dah-lee).

Finn: This one has no cool story except that we tried a different name every day for 5 days till my husband decided on Finn. He wanted an Irish name for our IW (and my husband is Irish too) and he remembered his grandmother telling him the story "The legend of Finn McCool" so he decided to go with that.

M, our cat: My husband rescued him years ago from owners who moved and left him living on the porch, shaved in the winter. They had called him Emminem (like the rapper) and my hubby wanted none of that! So he just called him M, or Emmy.

Chicken: She's retarded, inbred, has a crooked neck, a drippy eye, looks like a kitten though she is 2 1/2 years old, is always sneezing and needs her nose wiped and is the sweetest cat in the world. What else do you call such a cat?  We were on our way to get her from my sister who rescued her from the side of a road. We were trying to think of a name for her and my hubby said "chicken" jokingly. We laughed and went onto different names. But as soon as we got her home and watched her walk around for an hour or so, he said "you know, she does seem like a "Chicken"...  and I thought so too.

Vicki

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
    • Be my friend on myspace!
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2005, 12:50:27 pm »
I absolutely love the story of "chicken"!! How perfect!!
"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principle difference between dog and man." -- Mark Twain

Nicole

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2005, 12:54:57 pm »
hahahaha! Chicken! Great idea! And, I love the Cherokee names. What a cool idea!

I didn't tell my kitty stories!

So, lesee...Pierre . He's my 20 pound, BAD-@ss, DON'T TAKE NO CRAP orange tabby. He's got SUCH attitude! Anyway, when my daughter first brought him home (the mama had a litter out behind the garage and moved all of them but him...he was the runt. I hate to see the others, cuz he's HUGE now!) anyway...he was so tiny...we thought he was a girl. So my boyfriend named him Dixie Darlin'. But then, we found out he was a boy. So we didn't really have a name for awhile. There's a children's book about a little boy named Pierre who has a very bad attitude. Everytime the boy does something naughty, he just sniffs and it says, "I don't care.", said Pierre. So, we named the little punk Pierre.

Kyle-he's named after Kyle from South Park. We named him that cuz he used to look at Pierre the way that Kyle looks at Cartman. (you know, "Nobody likes you anyway, Cartman!" ehehhehe! So, we named him Kyle.

Lex Luther-no good explanation. He's all black. So he just became Lex Luther. But, mostly I call him Lexxie or Alexiae.

Offline mamadog

• Big Paw Certified
  • This is me and my Finn
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2005, 01:02:25 pm »
It is funny how the name Chicken gives the perfect visual of her personality!

M on the other hand, if he were human he would be a gay brittish butler. Snobby!!!!  And he's soo fat!!!  Though my husband says he's not fat, he's big furred!!

Vicki

GR8DAME

« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2005, 01:05:55 pm »
Raven's name used to be Star before we stole her from an abusive home, and she was so underfed and flighty we wanted something birdlike but something that was a little intimadating, after all she was a doberman; so Raven. Merlin has a white 1/4 moon on his hip in all the black like is on a wizard's hat (or an outhouse) so Merlin's Sir Trouble is his registered name. Strider was the name that was picked out of the hat from all of the familys suggestions. It's from the first Lord of the Rings book.
Stella

Nicole

« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2005, 01:52:22 pm »
HAHAHA!

BiG Furred! I LOOOOOOOOOVE it!!!! I'm so bored at work today...you guys are keepin' me smiling!! (and laughing!)

Great names, Gr8Dane! I love all the cool stories! Plus, it brings back happy memories of when our babies were new to us!

Offline mamadog

• Big Paw Certified
  • This is me and my Finn
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2005, 02:16:14 pm »
I know this is supposed to be about dogs but.... here is a picture of Chicken. I think I've posted it here before (in an "other pets" post) but she's so darn cute!!

Nicole

« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2005, 02:18:38 pm »
Aw, she sure is so darn cute, Vicki!!!! And, I think that cats are just as important as their Big Pawed cousins!!!!

GYPSY JAZMINE

« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2005, 04:00:03 pm »
We were going to name Samson "Bullwinkle" after the cartoon moose but when we got there he just wasn't a Bullwinkle at all!...Samson fit him after the biblical character...He was named before we got home...&, unbeknowst to my hubby, it was also the big setup for the female Pyr, St. or Newfie I intended to have & name her Deliila...lol. ..He knows now & is on board with it!

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2005, 04:05:18 pm »
No  great story for Bear's name sorry to say. i am obsessed with teddy bears and real bears in the wild and since a big, black Newfy is the clostest thing I could get to a real bear....we got him and named him Bear. He is such a bear though- he is big, hairy, loud when he wants to be, sneaky as all get out when he is playing "shadow" and a master thief! He will protect his momma from anyone and seems to love hibernating through out the day. Like any real bear he loves the outdoors and eats just about anything.
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

Offline pndlake

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2005, 04:12:06 pm »
Since we owned a video store, we named them all after movies for many years.  We had Murphy, the cat from Murphy's Law, CHUD the dog from Cannabilistic Humanoid Underground Dweller.  Then there was a terrible cat that we still have after over 14 years.  I think she hates anybody that steps on our property so we named her after the movie "Misery" which was actually the name of a pig.  Misery is so mean that at her age, she recently caught several gophers.  At night she acts like she is possessed.  And, of course there is Niki which is short for Nikita from the movies "LaFemme Nikita".  silly stories but fun.
Peggy