Author Topic: talked to a newfie owner in my neighborhood...  (Read 9210 times)

Gypsy Jazmine

Re: talked to a newfie owner in my neighborhood...
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2006, 05:23:48 am »
See i thought you said you had two newfs besides! :P LOL
anyway, i hope i made the point, that the training is a must and the breeder hopefully will point out the good and bad, the grooming the care the everything.
if not, i would run and run fast.
as far as them being active, i tell you, the lines i deal with keep you on your toes, and i am happy for that, becouse i see so much potential in the drive necessary to do the job, the thinking processes they have, and people can support what i say, and, the challenge is met with proper time spent with the pup, proper techniques used in training them.
A vet is good for medical advice but, they normally like to see newfs 10 pounds over what they should be, they also do not know dietary needs, they are medical.

your breeder should coach you on the proper diet and stay in close contact with the growth the pup experiences, many pups will grow differently and require different nutricion at certain points in their growth.
Kudos to the pyr for being a good girl now ;) and kudos to you for being so dedicated! ;D
2 Newfs beside these 3 I have?...That would be BLISS!! ;D  I do know what you mean about working lines...Samson & Pippin both come from long & strong working lines, spent time with their families & the livestock & have a harder temp than alot of Pyrs I've met...I, for one, love this...It keeps me on my toes & makes them more what Pyrs were intended to be...Sheba is out of working lines too but was taken at 6 weeks to be homed as a pet & it is evident in observing her with my boys...We recently adopted Sheba from a shelter...Her origional owners kept her around 4 months & surrendered her. >:(

mjjensen

« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2006, 06:20:35 am »
I dont consider it an exaggeration, the breed was bred to save lives and to act as soon as distress is seen, they are bred to solve problems, with that comes boisterous behavior, and, at two they still can be a handful, yours are prolly so well behaved becouse you trained them well.
big difference from someone inexperienced with the working class of dog that is a thinker.
no offense was intended you.
i see to many breeders not educating, nor telling the truth of what can happen if they are raised incorrectly, they want the money, say hi a few times after the pup leaves and are not an integral coach to puppy buyers.
with that comes problems becouse a newf is much different than a golden, a golden wants to please, a newf thinks and solves problems and works.

All OK,I didn't take offense. You've brought up some great points,some of which I wasn't aware of. I'm always looking for new information that will help me be a good dog owner and the fact that there are knowledgable people like yourself on BPO that will share your experiences is one of the reasons I spend so much time here( that and I get to post tons of pictures of my guys :D)But I do think that "hyper" is one of those catch all words that can easily be misunderstood. I like your term "boisterous" much better. :)

Offline lulu

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2006, 06:27:32 am »
 thanks for all your responses, i appreciate it. of course i know that newf puppies, like all puppies, can be rambunctous sometimes, i just had never heard of someone calling then "hyper". even my golden isnt what i would call "hyper". the breeder thinks that a golden and a newf would do good together, and i agree. i was just a little surprised by what my neighbor had said. i definitely did my research on newfs before i decided to add one to our family.
  i have some pics from the breeder that i will try to post sometime soon.
  i am paying the deposit on her today, so she will be officially mine!!!

Offline AC

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2006, 08:40:28 am »
Unles of course you saw that scary picture of Angus posted the other day!
Angus takes exception to that LMAO!! Hope he didn't scare any soon to be Newf owner off. As for Newfs being hyper, I think I agree as it applies to us. Angus has pretty good manners right now (he's 15 months old), greets people good (when people greet him correctly), behaves good around my kids etc... but that is the result of hard work from both of us. We started training classes when he  was 16 weeks old and just finished!! We'll be back in training again in November. All of our training has been positive clicker training, and we work on it everyday. Patience and dedication are our mottos.
Anyway, good luck with your new pup and your Golden.

AC and Angus

Offline sobe

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2006, 09:54:24 am »
I have a Newf cross ( 1 year old now) and a Shepherd/Husky/Border Collie cross ( just turned 4) and they get along famously !! Getting Moose was the best thing we ever did , he's a perfect match for Fwirly. He has his 'boisterous' moments and also his 'comatose' time. We walk 3 times a day , every day , they have supervised play in the back yard , and they have a house full of chew toys and other toys to play with. From the beginning ( we got Moose at 12 weeks ) there has been no problem with them, they both get tons of attention, they are both with momma all day long as I work from home ( I know, I'm blessed) and they both get enough attention that hyperness is not turned into giving me Japanese furniture !

I think the key is love, attention,exercise, training, attention,exercise, chewing toys, did I say exercise....

Offline sarnewfie

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
    • HarborWinds Newfoundlands and Stain Glass
« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2006, 10:34:37 am »
Good job AC!!
that is the key, though some dont do well with only positive!
some can be bullheaded as a rotty and they need positive along with corrections :)
glad to see you are still taking him to classes!
so many just go to one puppy class and than that is it.
they run into trouble and wonder why.
:)
this is a breed that requires a lot of work.
an exceptional few may not.
tasha, one of our girls from outside lines, is so dang easy, morgan to, she is from kaylar,
some are not! :)
just remember, every other newf will be a challenge, and every other will be good as gold.;)
Photography by Christine
http://harborwinds.fototime.com/PHOTOS FOR ORDERS

HarborWinds Newfoundlands&Search and Rescue
http://www.geocities.com/Petsburgh/Haven/4505

Offline AC

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2006, 04:17:57 pm »
Good job AC!!
that is the key, though some dont do well with only positive!
some can be bullheaded as a rotty and they need positive along with corrections :)
glad to see you are still taking him to classes!
so many just go to one puppy class and than that is it.
they run into trouble and wonder why.
:)
this is a breed that requires a lot of work.
an exceptional few may not.
tasha, one of our girls from outside lines, is so dang easy, morgan to, she is from kaylar,
some are not! :)
just remember, every other newf will be a challenge, and every other will be good as gold.;)
Angus is bullheaded as well, but only in certain situations. We worked so hard with positive training that I just refused to give up and it has payed off for us. I even done the trainers website for free so that we could go back and work on his attention with distractions. He was super excited whenever we were around other dogs, now we can pass them with only a glance when we are walking. Our trainer tells me the same thing as you said, that to many people only do puppy classes or level 1 obedience and think they are done. I'm even going to do a tricks class with him for some fun!!

OK back to the initial thread!! :)

Offline Heighway

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • Webster at 8 months
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2006, 04:53:51 pm »
It just so happens that I have a 12month old newf AND a 4 year old golden retriever.  Both lads have been neutered and they are good buddies. They play very well together, train well together and teach each other.  Both can be boisterous, but not for long....then they need a nap!  They are great fun to be around and entertaining to watch.  SAR you were so right, Riley the golden will do anything just to please, without my even asking!  Webster, my newf.... he will look at me and I can see him trying to "work things out", thinking that maybe there is a better way of doing something, or a way of having more fun for just a bit longer.  I KNOW he is thinking!  It's amazing to watch him figure things out when we play.
Karen