Author Topic: On my way to work this morning....  (Read 18782 times)

Offline eightdogs4me

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
    • When There's A Will, There's A Way
On my way to work this morning....
« on: August 19, 2006, 02:17:00 pm »
[color:"red"]WARNING: THIS THREAD COTAINS GRAPHIC PICTURES!!!  [/color]

I decided to go the way I almost never go.  I guess there is a reason for everything.  I brought along a couple of pieces of toast for breakfast-I almost never do that either.  I pulled up to a stop sign and this little skinny black dog came up to my car.  He was hungry and looking for a hand out.  I felt badly for him, but when he turned his head I knew I had to get him, so I gave him my peice of toast to get him in the car.  It looks as if he had been attacked by another dog or something and it nearly ripped one of his ears off.  It is very badly infected and the ear canal is definitely affected.  I'm not sure if we can save him, but we'll try.  He is probably around 6-8  months old,his adult teeth are in but his "boy parts" aren't totally mature.

He's on antibiotics and is comfortable for now.  We are going to get another vet to evalutate his ear, most likely he will loose it because of the ear canal being so badly infected.  He'll probably need an ablation on that one ear.  Once his fever comes down, we'll sedate him and clean it up really well and take a much better look at it as well.  If he pulls through, he is going to have a long road of recovery ahead of him.   I need to think of a name for him, even if he doesn't make it, he still needs a name.

I'll update when I can.
Emily and the gang

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
Re: On my way to work this morning....
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2006, 02:26:07 pm »
Poor Guy! An angel must have been watching out for him and sent you to him
RIP former BPO

mjjensen

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2006, 02:27:35 pm »
 That's so sad but lucky for him you came along. I hope he'll be OK.

Gypsy Jazmine

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2006, 03:20:07 pm »
I thank God for angels like you...It is nice to know that others are looking out for the homeless, strays, & "unwanteds"...It makes my burden easier to carry & does my heart good to know that I, & people like me, have backup out there...Thank you & God bless you & all of yours. :-*

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2006, 04:07:30 pm »
I'm so glad you were able to help this guy out.  I hope everything works out for the best for him and he finds himself a nice home.

bigdogs@5501

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2006, 07:18:23 am »
I am thinking that if ever a dog needed to be named Lucky- this one is it, because you found him. I am so glad that you decided to help him and take him in and god bless you. I wish that there were more people like you in the world.

Icerotti

« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2006, 10:11:37 am »
What a big heart you have. Thanks for looking out for a pup in nedd. Sending healing thoughts to the poor guy.

Nicole

« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2006, 01:30:19 am »
Oh, thanks so much for taking him in!  He is so lucky you changed your routine!

If he pulls through but loses the ear, I'm thinking you need to name him Van Gogh!  ;D

Or Vincent. You could call him Vinny for short! hahhaha! Great idea, Holly. (Of course)

And, you are SO awesome for doing this! He really needed you and he found you! YAAAAAAAAY!

Offline DixieSugarBear

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2006, 01:34:01 am »
It makes me smile knowing there are people like you in this world.
Lisa, owned by the following:
Sugar Bear - Great Pyrenees 4.5 yr.
Dixie Darlin - Great Pyrenees 4 yr.
Penny Lane - Great Pyrenees 2.5 yr.
Beauman - Great Pyrenees 14 months
Izzy - Great Pyrenees 14 month
Rosie - Great Pyrenees (at the bridge)

cricket36580

« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2006, 03:52:26 am »
I like the name Evander...And you could call him Van for short.   ;D  He's a lucky little boy for sure!

Offline navarre1316

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2006, 04:32:23 am »
I love the name Van for him!!!!  And this just shows that there are no coincedences!!  Good luck to you and VAN!!
God placed me on this earth to accomplish certain tasks...I'm so far behind I'll never die!!

Navarre: GSD 9/13/99-5/14/06 patiently waiting
Issabeaux: GSD 1/27/07
Daphne: Boxer
Stone: Siamese mix

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2006, 05:40:57 am »
How's "Van" doing today?  Is he going to make it?  He is so very blessed to have you as his own personal angel!!!

Fingers and paws crossed for him!!!

Offline eightdogs4me

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
    • When There's A Will, There's A Way
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2006, 02:13:07 pm »
I've been calling him Vincent.  I didn't even think of Evander!  I may have to reconsider...

He is doing well today.  He had his first of probably many surgeries.  We are doing our best to save the ear, he probably can't hear out of that one, but if we can save the ear canal, it would be best.  In case he continues to make wax, then it will have an escape route instead of getting backed up.

Here are some pictures both right after his surger and post op in his recovery cage:

Warning, slightly graphic pictures follow!

Emily and the gang

Offline kathryn

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2006, 02:18:55 pm »
He has the sweetest face and I think Van fits him for a name.  He's so lucky to have found you.  I hope that you are able to save his ear.  Please keep us updated.
Kaila - Belgian Malinois
Shiner - Malinois x Ridgeback
Toulouse, Cayenne, Raven - DSH

Due to recent budget cuts and the rising cost of electricity, gas and oil, as well as current market conditions, the Light at the End of the Tunnel has been turned off. We apologize for the inconvenience

Offline Miranda

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2006, 05:27:47 am »
You're such a great person!
If you think dogs can't count, try putting three dog biscuits in your pocket and then giving Fido only two of them.  ~Phil Pastoret