Author Topic: Lots of dogs for adoption! *updated 10-9-06*  (Read 24087 times)

Offline Saint and Mal mom

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
Re: Lots of dogs for adoption! *updated 10-9-06*
« Reply #60 on: October 09, 2006, 12:55:46 pm »
updated
Marissa

Zoey- Alaskan Malamute, 4 years
Dolly, CGC- Saint Bernard, 4 years
Foster mom to Clarence- Basset Hound, 5 years

"To be loved by...any animal should fill us with awe-for we have not deserved it."

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 09, 2006, 04:01:09 pm »
Tina, just wanted to say, when I first started listing these dogs, a lot of them were coming from backyard breeders. So I began to screen a bit more carefully. Now, a lot of these dogs I'm listing (if not all) are in a home and the owners are not able to keep them. I am being more vigilant as I don't prefer to support backyard breeders, however I know those dogs need homes too. And I know the fees of all these dogs. I refuse to post the dog's info if the fee is an exorbitant amount. All the fees are about $200 or less. I appreciate your concern, Tina. I have learned to be more careful about giving out info for just any dog. But you are right. There is a very small chance they are from backyard breeders. But I am doing my best to screen them.  ;)
Marissa

"To be loved by...any animal should fill us with awe-for we have not deserved it."

Offline MSF

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 09, 2006, 04:18:34 pm »
I posted eariler but my pc pooped out when I tried to post.
No one wants to support bad/ unethical breeders, but what is one to do? These animals are in need of help and homes.
Do we euthingize them just cause of the breeders they come from? Do we keep them in bad homes or rescues?

Saint and Mal mom, kudo's for your work and efforts.
Maybe many of these will be proper homes rather than being sold to just anyone.

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 09, 2006, 04:21:41 pm »
Thanks, MSF. I am trying my best. Believe me, I'd take them all if I could!
Marissa

Offline MSF

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 09, 2006, 04:37:47 pm »
I fully understand what you are saying but if they are puppymill or byb then it could very well contribute to the problem.  Instead of finding homes, teaching the community would help, protesting outside of stores, educating, not taking every dog and finding it a new home.  If you do you are helping that individual dog, not the problem.  Are these dogs found online? in a newspaper? It is a little worrisome. I think you have your heart in the right place. I'm sorry if this sounds harsh in any way.  Julie

OK but while we're educating and protesting, these animals STILL need a home.
Saint and Mal mom searched lists and newspapers and more and sees these and posts them here with the hopes that some folks like us will get them before uneducated folks do.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2006, 04:40:04 pm by MSF »

Offline MSF

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 09, 2006, 04:44:20 pm »
Meant to mention, many on the site do rescue, others are in touch with different breed rescues, this is a wonderful way to let us know what's out there that need help.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2006, 07:39:43 am by MSF »

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 10, 2006, 04:26:26 am »
When I began posting these dogs, I knew there'd be questions and I have no problem with that. I'd want to know too! Tina, you are making a good point. I don't want anyone out there to think these dogs are from the best breeders in the world or have absolutely no health problems are anything like that. That would be lying on my part. So I will state it a bit more clearly.

All these dogs are from unknown backgrounds.

Whether they were found by a good Samaritan on the side of the road and they need a home, or the family dog had a litter of pups, or a breeder getting out of the breeding business, or a family dog they can't keep anymore, or from a backyard breeder, I can't know for sure. But I do know this. These dogs are in a listing from a newspaper and website. If I see anything that looks fishy, like a bulldog puppy being sold for $1200, I refuse to post that info. That dog is obviously not in desperate need of a home! So what I look for are the older adult dogs or older puppies that need a new home for whatever reason and the ad has some detail about the dog and they are not asking a huge amount of money, then I list it. Because I myself would be willing (if I could) to take a chance on that dog. Please know, I am not trying to deceive any of you! I am so sorry if I was giving the impression that any or all of these dogs are from reputable breeders. The truth is I don't know. But I know they need homes. And if someone here on the site is willing to take a chance and perhaps looking for a new fur baby to love, then that is why I keep posting this. And I know we have a lot of knowlegeable dog people on this site. I'd rather have the dogs go to someone on here than someone who knows nothing about dogs!

MSF, thank you for your support. And I appreciate your willingness to take a chance, even if neither of the breeds you've inquire about worked out for you! Sorry!

Julie, I don't know if you know this or not, but from what I can tell, NONE of these dogs are coming from pet stores. I only list individuals with dogs. Not stores. I agree with you on bad petstores. Plus, the pups are so overpriced there. And I appreciate your concern too.

So am I okay?  :-\
Marissa

Offline MSF

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 10, 2006, 07:43:17 am »
MSF, thank you for your support. And I appreciate your willingness to take a chance, even if neither of the breeds you've inquire about worked out for you! Sorry!

No worries, when the right one comes along at the right time, things will happen.  ;)
One was already adopted.
The other breed my husband asked me not to do till we go to uncarpeted floors, which I have been wanting to do.
Carpets are just nasty things that harbor so many nasty things. I'd rather have wood floors with a bunch of throw rugs I can throw in the washer.

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 10, 2006, 10:47:56 am »
Everyone, I will not be updating this listing anymore. I do not in anyway want it to seem like I am advocating dishonest breeders, backyard breeders, or anything like that. And I'm sorry if I seemed to be trying to deceive anyone or...I don't know. It's okay. I just don't want anyone to be upset. And I'm not. So it's okay. Bye!
Marissa

Offline MSF

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 10, 2006, 02:01:27 pm »
I'd like to ask you to continue your work.
Many here have said you're doing a wonderful job to help.
Don't stop just cause a few folks have questions.
You answered them and not it is time to move on and continue your work.
The dogs need you and all of us to help.
I know it gets discouraging at times.
I hope all others who on other pages of this post will also voice their encouragment to you.
Don't get discouraged, you're doing great.

SA_horses

« Reply #70 on: October 10, 2006, 02:30:28 pm »
I'd like to ask you to continue your work.
Many here have said you're doing a wonderful job to help.
Don't stop just cause a few folks have questions.
You answered them and not it is time to move on and continue your work.
The dogs need you and all of us to help.
I know it gets discouraging at times.
I hope all others who on other pages of this post will also voice their encouragment to you.
Don't get discouraged, you're doing great.

I agree!  Please don't stop Marissa!  :)

But I would like to ask the people who have questioned Marissa here to please watch how you say things.  :)  I am sure that many here remember that people in the past have been asked to tone things down because they came across as hurtful to some people...well that is how you sometimes are coming across lately.  And I hate to see it.

« Last Edit: October 10, 2006, 05:27:18 pm by jabear »

bigdogs@5501

« Reply #71 on: October 10, 2006, 02:38:14 pm »
Please dont stop listing- I know that right now I cant take in any more- but that will not always be the case. I dont remember how I first heard about the Danes in the kill shelter, that are now lounging on my couch, but someone had to have been out there making it known and now today they are alive. You are doing a great job and you have answered a lot of questions about this dogs that are available, so thanks for all of your dedication and hard work.

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 10, 2006, 04:23:46 pm »
Guys, I appreciate all your kind words, I really do. Let me see if I can find a compromise. I will not be updating this listing. However, if any of you would like for me to send you any new information about a specific breed or all the breeds, either pm or e-mail me, and I will update you weekly or as often as you ask me to! But I do not want to cause a problem here on the board. I would feel really bad about it then. And please believe me when I say, no one has been harsh to me at all about this topic. I have no hurt feelings at all.  ;)
Marissa

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: October 10, 2006, 05:23:23 pm »
Let's not forget everyone, there is a section on this board called adopt-a-dog where many dogs needing homes are listed. They are large & giant breed specificall. Many people, including Marissa, have and will continue to post dogs in need of homes reguarly.
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

Offline navarre1316

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: October 10, 2006, 05:31:50 pm »
Where is the adopt-a-dog section?  I'm not seeing it, of course that probably means it's right in front of me!!  Marissa, I liked your updates too I would always look (even though I really don't need too!!).  So thanks to you and everyone else on this board for taking your time to let us know what's out there.
God placed me on this earth to accomplish certain tasks...I'm so far behind I'll never die!!

Navarre: GSD 9/13/99-5/14/06 patiently waiting
Issabeaux: GSD 1/27/07
Daphne: Boxer
Stone: Siamese mix