Author Topic: My odd child...again...LOL!  (Read 8307 times)

Gypsy Jazmine

Re: My odd child...again...LOL!
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2006, 06:41:32 am »
I have one of those too!  He's just so 'special'!  All the kids in the neighborhood would hang out here to play on his inventions.... weedboarding, jungle gyms through the trees, and my personal favorite was when he connected all the trees with ropes and pulleys so I could 'deliver' all the snacks and treats he wanted to his favorite trees.  (it looked like Spider Man threw up!! ::) ::) ::)) And can we talk about all the trips to the emergency room when his inventions didn't quite work?  Or the trouble he got in to in school when he would do math problems in alternative ways?  or when he tunneled under the music room in second grade and the school had to call me to tell me they'd "lost" him??

He just finished his degree in engineering and is working in product development:  a professional inventor!!  Odd is good, once they are grown.  It was H*LL when he was in school though!  Teachers are not especially fond of a kid who 'thinks different'!!  Best of luck to you!  I think they are VERY fun!!!
Your son grew up to be an engineer? ;D ;D ...Thank God there is hope for Missy then!...lol!
I know all about the teachers who want cookie cutter kids...believe me...I say a little understanding goes along way...I do INSIST my children behave in school but I also encourage them to be who they are...Disrespe ct, lying, cheating, mean spiritness...t hese types of things are  not tolerated by me AT ALL...But it is still a fine line to walk between letting them be who they are & trying to still help them fit in to societies standards...He ck, I don't "play well with others" ;D so it is hard but I think we do alright. :)

Kiahpyr

« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2006, 09:04:27 am »
I don't think anyone has to worry about your dogs. It's Missy we have to be scared of! LOL!

This is also the kid that woke up one morning and said "Mom I feel evil today". :o

Gypsy Jazmine

« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2006, 09:10:38 am »
I don't think anyone has to worry about your dogs. It's Missy we have to be scared of! LOL!

This is also the kid that woke up one morning and said "Mom I feel evil today". :o
Yes that is true :P but I was quick to point out to her that what she was really feeling was mischevious :P :D...I try not to let her equate evil with any of her feelings because I have to sleep sometime! :-\ :D LOL!

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2006, 09:16:05 am »
I know all about the teachers who want cookie cutter kids...believe me...I say a little understanding goes along way...I do INSIST my children behave in school but I also encourage them to be who they are...Disrespe ct, lying, cheating, mean spiritness...t hese types of things are  not tolerated by me AT ALL...But it is still a fine line to walk between letting them be who they are & trying to still help them fit in to societies standards...He ck, I don't "play well with others" Grin so it is hard but I think we do alright. Smiley

You are SOO right!  Just because they 'think different' doesn't mean they are excused from society's standards.  In fact, I think it's more important that these special ones develop better social skills than their peers because they just stick out and most teachers and many people take aim at those whose heads are above the parapet!  Get used to not sleeping!  Wait until Missy hits the teenage years!  Hold on to your hat, baby, you're going for a ride!!! ::) ::) ::) ::) ;D ;D ;D ;D

Gypsy Jazmine

« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2006, 11:12:51 am »

You are SOO right!  Just because they 'think different' doesn't mean they are excused from society's standards.  In fact, I think it's more important that these special ones develop better social skills than their peers because they just stick out and most teachers and many people take aim at those whose heads are above the parapet!  Get used to not sleeping!  Wait until Missy hits the teenage years!  Hold on to your hat, baby, you're going for a ride!!! ::) ::) ::) ::) ;D ;D ;D ;D
Oh I know already!...I've known since she was little bitty I was not going to like her teenage years at all!...Now if I could only convince my hubby that he needs to crack down with her like 7 yrs. ago!...I think it is hard for him to see where she could be headed if we don't keep her in check now...In his eyes she is still his little sweet baby princess...Lik e I said I walk a fine line...lol!...I only hope I am doing the right things to help her achieve her potential. :-\

Offline dober_gurl

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2006, 11:16:56 am »
My Gosh! The detached ken head, BWAHAAHAHHA. She's my hero!
"None left to rescue, none left to buy, none left to suffer, none left to die. None to be beaten, none to be kicked...all must be loved and all must be fixed"

Maggie-Doberman
Molly-Papillon
Mickey-Mutt
Collin-Kitty
Sunny-Amazon Parrot
Squishy-Guinea Pig
Harper/Lyric-Rats

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2006, 12:17:23 pm »
I only hope I am doing the right things to help her achieve her potential

It sounds like you are doing all the right things....at least that's pretty much what I did with my special one.  The biggest problem was always school, not with behavior, but with finding teachers who allowed him to become himself.  It was an ugly battle much of time but when he was with teachers who had the security to let him run with his ideas, it was glorious. (of course there was the project that required him to dress as a famous person in history and he chose to be Mother Theresa!!! ::) ::) ::)  The school was NOT pleased!!!)

bigdogs@5501

« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2006, 02:08:29 pm »
Word of advice- Hang on for the ride of your life. My "special" child just graduated HS this spring and it was a roller coaster for 13 years. What you have is a very intelligent little girl- continue to give her the freedom to develope while keeping your thumb on her the whole time. My son actually went to the School for Visual and Performing Arts in downtown Dallas. He fit in perfectly- because they were all just like him. He is now a wonderful young man who feels that he can not conform to working in a office and has decided to become a fireman ( He is already volunteering) And on his days off - he can sculpt (his way of releasing that pent up strange creative energy)
Congratulation s on the very creative intelligent little lady.

Offline kathryn

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 21, 2006, 02:46:30 pm »
I don't see the problem with the whole car ride.  It looks a little godfather meets barbie.  But then again, I was the kid that kept decapitating barbie and her friends trying to wipe the stupid smile off her face.  I turned out all right.  I am a zookeeper and love to work venomous animals and am presenting a paper about enrichment for venomous reptiles and a poster on enrichment and training of a caiman for the American Association of Zookeepers conference next month.  I think Missy will be just fine not to mention it's always fun to see what she'll come up with next.
Kaila - Belgian Malinois
Shiner - Malinois x Ridgeback
Toulouse, Cayenne, Raven - DSH

Due to recent budget cuts and the rising cost of electricity, gas and oil, as well as current market conditions, the Light at the End of the Tunnel has been turned off. We apologize for the inconvenience

Gypsy Jazmine

« Reply #24 on: August 21, 2006, 02:51:06 pm »
I don't see the problem with the whole car ride.  It looks a little godfather meets barbie.  But then again, I was the kid that kept decapitating barbie and her friends trying to wipe the stupid smile off her face.  I turned out all right.  I am a zookeeper and love to work venomous animals and am presenting a paper about enrichment for venomous reptiles and a poster on enrichment and training of a caiman for the American Association of Zookeepers conference next month.  I think Missy will be just fine not to mention it's always fun to see what she'll come up with next.
O.k....5 minutes of truth...lol!...I used to shave Barbie's head & toss her over the ditch behind our house at the end of a fishing line & fishhook & then reel her back in...This made for hours of amusement. :D

Offline kathryn

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 21, 2006, 02:56:57 pm »
Have I ever told you, I love the way you think?  I never had that idea with barbie.  That's an awesome idea.  I may have to go try that out now.
Kaila - Belgian Malinois
Shiner - Malinois x Ridgeback
Toulouse, Cayenne, Raven - DSH

Due to recent budget cuts and the rising cost of electricity, gas and oil, as well as current market conditions, the Light at the End of the Tunnel has been turned off. We apologize for the inconvenience

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 21, 2006, 02:57:19 pm »
My special guy took my daughter's Barbies and used their heads as hand grenades!!! ::)  I STILL find them in the garden!! 

Gypsy Jazmine

« Reply #27 on: August 21, 2006, 05:17:49 pm »
My special guy took my daughter's Barbies and used their heads as hand grenades!!! ::)  I STILL find them in the garden!! 
It must make you tear up when you find them!...I am almost scared to say I understand. :-\ :-\ :-* :D
KFC, TY! :-* :D ;D :)

Gypsy Jazmine

« Reply #28 on: August 22, 2006, 03:47:52 am »
OMG!...lol...lol!...I am reading all of this & just giggling! :D

O.k. everyone...5 minutes of truth!...What awful things did you do to Barbie? :D

I think maiming or decapitating Barbie is acceptable...I f it was a baby doll...Now that'd just be wrong!!! :o ;D

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 22, 2006, 08:49:54 am »
Barbie had JUST come out when I was little so she was one of my most treasured toys (THAT'S the ugly truth:  I'm OLD!! :P)  My daughter was good....played normally. It was the boys who used her in their war games.  That's why I always laugh when people say to keep toy guns away from boys:  I never bought them a gun; they always had paper towel rolls, toilet paper rolls, their pointy fingers and, of course, Barbie heads!  LOL
How do you take a boy's pointy fingers away?? ::)