Author Topic: Teething tips?  (Read 2476 times)

Offline LMT

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
Teething tips?
« on: August 20, 2006, 02:37:39 am »
I've been watching Adi for a few days very closely, as a red spot appeared on one of his front knuckles... I worried he might be licking obsessively, but hadn't seen any signs of it. Then another knuckle started to appear red...

Last night, while reading and after Adi had woke up from a nap in my bed, I started to see how this happened. HE EATS HIS PAWS. Well, chews on them, particularlly his right hand, the dew claw and those pink knuckles.

I gave his mouth a look and noticed all his little teeth coming in. He didn't want me to look, letting me know that they are sensitive. It then occured to me that I must not be giving him enough things to chew on.

What helped you get through the teething stage? Anyone else experience this problem of your pup chewing on his own paw? Advice is greatly appreciated. I think I'm going to head to the pet store and check out our options.
lmt.

Offline Imani's Mom

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
    • My Chinchilla Page
Re: Teething tips?
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2006, 03:13:45 am »
You can give him ice cubes, or blocks of ice made with cottage cheese tubs full of water and freeze them.  Forozen kongs help much, as do raw cold carrots, apples, and frozen bananas

Weedsport, NY

Lyn

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2006, 04:41:15 am »
Lola is teething too. I give her ice cubes and I wet and freeze her rope toy. I seems to help she will chew on it until it unthaws then I rinse off the slobber and re-freeze it.

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2006, 12:01:20 pm »
The absolute best thing for teething is to take old socks or rope toys, add enough water to make them damp, and then freeze them. The cold really helps ease the pain of teething. Soft rubber toys and bully sticks are also good.

Also, if he is in pain from teething, you might want to consider soaking his kibble, because it is probably painful for him to eat hard kibble. You can either add hot water and let it sit for 10 minutes, or you can add some room temperature water and stick it in the microwave for 30-40 seconds.
RIP former BPO