Author Topic: New Dog?  (Read 11093 times)

Offline Sullivan

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
New Dog?
« on: March 18, 2005, 03:51:13 pm »
We are thinking about getting another dog.  We are considering adopting a 2 year old female St., or getting a Newfoundland puppy.  When is the best time to introduce a new dog?  Seamus is 9 months old.  Will it create a lot of stress?  We are hoping it will be good for him to have someone around while we work all day.  Do they entertain each other, or are they still equally stressed while you are gone?  What should we do?

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
Re: New Dog?
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2005, 04:16:13 pm »
We currently have only one dog- a male Newf who is 2 and a half. We want another puppy and hopefully will be getting one with our breeder's next litter. As far as I can tell (especially with Newfs) there is now "wrong" age to introduce a new baby to the family. I think that 9 month is great though. Also, I do know from several friends/family that if you are gone they will entertain eachother. Good luck with your new addition. And by the way, which dog are you leaning more towards?
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

Offline raaleppo

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
    • Raaleppo Saint Bernards
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2005, 04:51:14 pm »
It can only be good for your dog to have company
Either one would be great
If the Saint is a resque that would be my pick
The only stress would be if she is not sterilised that would have to be advised
Ann

Offline raaleppo

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
    • Raaleppo Saint Bernards
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2005, 05:05:17 pm »
As a child livig in Amsterdam Holland my Mum  and I agreed it was not the place for a big dog so instead I had my contact with dogs and all type of animal by walking other peoples dogs and kids
Working in spare time at the Zoo and animal shelters
Then worked at the Vet as his assistant and studied to become a vet
But that was cut short when I met my Husband we immigrated to Australia
I could not speak English so I was unable to go to Sydney to futher my studies
Mean time I resqued everything I could from Birds to Horses cats and pigs
When our Daughter was a teenager  in 1985 she  finnaly talked us in to persue hers and my passion
A Saint Bernard and we went looking
We started with one  started showing later  breeding and I enjoyed a lot of succes
Sadly our Daughter  passed away in1995 butI managed to keep showing and breeding and evrytime I have new babys or have a succes in the ring I look up and say This is For you Shirl
Ann Oppelaar

Offline Sullivan

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2005, 06:28:25 pm »
Thanks for all your responses regarding "New Dog"!  I'm glad to hear that Seamus will be okay if we introduce a new dog.  We are brining the St. Bernard that needs rescuing to our house for the weekend.  We want to see how she and Seamus interact.  If he seems okay with it we will probably keep her.  I'm very torn b/c I can't stand the thought of the St. being put down, but I really want a Newfoundland.  It all depends on Seamus I guess, if he has a good time this weekend than he'll get a St. Bernard sister, if not he'll get a Newfoundland brother.  We'll see! 
Also, thanks for your sweet messages regarding "cardio myopathy".  We still don't know if he has it and it is killing me.  I'm so stressed out about it, as this dog is my family.  Keep him in your prayers and thoughts.  Thank you!

awo

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2005, 06:33:10 pm »
First, I would suggest on getting your dog around the two of your choice.  You need to see how they are going to react around each other before you make your final decision.  Also you need to consider what size these dogs will grow too and do you have enough room for both of them to live together in that space.  Just my own personal opinion, if the saint and your dog get along, I would adopt that one.

awo

Offline stjennifer2413

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2005, 03:09:52 pm »
We adopted our Saint last June and he has always loved other dogs, so last December we fostered a 3 yr. old female.  They got along great from the moment we introduced them.  Since Saints were bred to work as a team and because Seamus is so young, you shouldn't have any problems.  In fact, when our foster girl was adopted last month, Winston went into a bit of a funk for a few weeks.  So we've decided to foster another Saint (a boy from Ohio) and if they get along, we're going to keep the new boy.  Because there is no way I can spend another 3 weeks with a 144 lb. dog glued to my hip!

Offline jabear

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2005, 03:27:14 pm »
Sullivan,
How did Seamus get along with the rescue St.?
Hugs,
Jaime

Offline Sullivan

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2005, 05:20:18 pm »
Sullivan,
How did Seamus get along with the rescue St.?

Unfortunately not well.  She was definately the alpha, and Seamus was intimidated and scared the whole time.  He would try to play with her and then would get scared if she touched him at all.  She was a sweetheart, but in need of desparate attention and poorly trained.  It was impossible to do anything with the two of them b/c she was so strong and wild.  It just seemed to stress him out too much. 
The owner promised us that he would find her a home, and not take her to the pound.  I hope he keeps his promise.

awo

« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2005, 08:32:25 pm »
I'm sorry to hear that the meet and greet didn't go well, but atleast you had an oppurnitiy to see how they would get along first, verses just taking the saint.  So do tell, are you getting a newfie now?  I know how much you want a playmate for your other dog.

awo

Offline connolly

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2005, 04:28:18 pm »
Sassy had just turned 2 when my husband surprised me with a male St. puppy for Christmas. I was terrified that Sas was so spoiled and really not very social with other dogs that she would resent and even hurt the little 8 week old pup. I made a big deal of giving her extra attention and she took on the mother role like a pro. LOL now that Shamus is 5 months and still nipping on her Sassy is getting a little fed up but I was soooo glad she rose to the occasion. Shamus follows her everywhere and since Sassy had to have knee surgery and has been laid up for the past month he seems rather lost. Best, Connolly
The older I get the less I know

Offline Sullivan

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2005, 12:36:23 pm »
I'm sorry to hear that the meet and greet didn't go well, but atleast you had an oppurnitiy to see how they would get along first, verses just taking the saint.  So do tell, are you getting a newfie now?  I know how much you want a playmate for your other dog.

awo

I've definately started looking for a newfie puppy.  I want to make sure they that it's parents are heart, hip, and elbow certified.  We still aren't sure if we are going to get a new dog yet though.  It depends on how Seamus' ultra sound turns out.  He has it on Thursday, and i'm praying it will turn out okay.  If he has any type of problem we don't want to add to any new stresses.  If all is well with him, it is a definite possibility.  I'll keep you posted!

Offline jabear

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2005, 01:04:03 pm »
Thanks for the update Sullivan. I know that all of us here will pray that things turn out all right for Seamus. Good luck on Thursday and with the search for a Newfie pup. I really do think that the puppy & Seamus will get along perfectly. ;)
Hugs,
Jaime

Offline Sullivan

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2005, 02:12:47 pm »
Sassy had just turned 2 when my husband surprised me with a male St. puppy for Christmas. I was terrified that Sas was so spoiled and really not very social with other dogs that she would resent and even hurt the little 8 week old pup. I made a big deal of giving her extra attention and she took on the mother role like a pro. LOL now that Shamus is 5 months and still nipping on her Sassy is getting a little fed up but I was soooo glad she rose to the occasion. Shamus follows her everywhere and since Sassy had to have knee surgery and has been laid up for the past month he seems rather lost. Best, Connolly

The attention thing is a huge concern that we have with our Seamus.  He is so spoiled it is ridiculous.  He is such a sweet and gentle dog, though, I was never worried about him taking to a puppy.  I know he would love a play mate, but taking away our attention is a whole other story.  B/c Seamus is so sensitive, i'm sure he will take on the caregiver role as well.  We'll see.  Thanks for your input!

GR8DAME

« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2005, 04:09:59 pm »
Our dane, Merlin, is 3 years old, nuetered male, and has some issues with other dogs. Off leash he is territorial and dog aggressive. Then the opportunity came up about two months ago to rescue a 4-5 week old wolfhound/dane pup that was on death row at an animal control shelter 200 miles away, and I couldn't resist. Imagine my surprise when after a adjustment period of about a week, Merlin became the biggest mother hen I've ever seen. He will even challange my doberman bitch, who is the undisputed canine alpha, if he thinks she's getting too rough. The boys play by the hour, and despite the huge disparity in size, the pup has never even squeaked. Sometimes they get that "puppy pass" for the little ones with the most surprising results. All you can do is try it and watch the outcome, and adjust accordingly.