Author Topic: Ear Infection  (Read 13382 times)

Offline cuttles/sadieMay

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
Ear Infection
« on: June 17, 2005, 07:10:06 am »
Hi everyone !
My Collie mix Queenie has been suffering with ear infections for the past year or so, on and off and I have taken her to three different vets for treatment and after many different antibiotics and lots of ear cleaning it still keeps coming back! Oh and lots of money too!
She is about 7 years old now and Ive been told by one vet that this will be a condition that she will have for the rest of her life!
Im so sad for her as Im sure it must feel the same as an ear infection that we get and it must hurt alot!
Does anyone have any good home remedies or any suggestions about what else I can do for her?
Thanks

Offline coonie1970

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
Re: Ear Infection
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2005, 07:13:05 am »
Cuttles
Come on the chat. K
Coonie
Karen :) Image hosting by Photobucket

Offline greek4

• Majestic Member
  • Kole with Maia, Baxter, Rocco, and Cody
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2005, 07:29:34 am »
This may be off the wall but I heard once that the same cell that are in the anal sac are in the ear.  Therefore getting the anal sacs removed could improve the ear cells and stop ear infections.  It might be worth asking your vet about.   ???
Thanks,

Emily and 1 husband, 1 boy, 1 on the way, and 4 crazy dogs

Offline cuttles/sadieMay

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2005, 07:38:16 am »
Wow Ive never heard of that but I am kind of at my witts end so Im willing to try anything
Thanks

Offline moonlitcroatia

• BPO Guru
  • Betti Boo March 2008
    • View Profile
    • Greta's Page
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2005, 07:59:02 am »
This may be off the wall but I heard once that the same cell that are in the anal sac are in the ear.  Therefore getting the anal sacs removed could improve the ear cells and stop ear infections.  It might be worth asking your vet about.   ???

greek,

It is interesting that you mention that, because when Betti came to me last fall she had a horrible anal gland infection and subsequently developed an ear infection.  We saw her mother and she, too, suffered from ear infections and was receiving treatment.

I will have to look into that.  

Betti's ear infection is back.

Cuttles -

I am going back in for the ear ointment.  I don't know what else to do.  First the vet treated the left ear and said it was not spreading to the right ear, but as soon as the left ear healed, the right ear was grossly infected, too.

Betti has really "thick" folds in her ears.  I believed that is causing a build-up of bacteria and moisture, but our vet insisted that dogs do not get ear infections from having "big" ears.  Perhaps he was overlooking my analogy and assuming I meant "big ears" like an Irish Setter or Blood Hound.

Anyway, I heard about this stuff that can be put in the ears to dry them out.  This can be done after baths and swimming, etc.  I want to try that, too.

I think you may be right when you say it is a condition they have "for the rest of their lives", because Betti's mother suffered from frequent ear infections, too.  Now that I realize that, I am searching, too, for something to prevent us from going to the vet.  

I think dogs are the most amazing creatures; they give unconditional love.  For me they are the role model for being alive.  ~Gilda Radner

Offline cuttles/sadieMay

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2005, 08:24:00 am »
Well the vet told me that this is caused by the ear getting wet inside and it creates bacteria but tell me how a dog that does not swim and does not get a bath more than once a year, get wet ears???
I know it sounds awful that I dont bath her but she doesnt smell and she keeps herself very clean, so I just brush her alot and she stays beautiful!! And I am scared to get water in her ears, so I figure its better for her if I dont bath her. Just wish I knew what is causing this to keep coming back and I am deffinately going to check into the rear end thing! LOL Hope we get some answers! She has never had this gland emptied and Im not going to do it, ( Not my area of expertise)
but I will find a groomer to do it!
Thanks for your advise

Offline moonlitcroatia

• BPO Guru
  • Betti Boo March 2008
    • View Profile
    • Greta's Page
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2005, 08:45:34 am »
Well the vet told me that this is caused by the ear getting wet inside and it creates bacteria but tell me how a dog that does not swim and does not get a bath more than once a year, get wet ears???
I know it sounds awful that I dont bath her but she doesnt smell and she keeps herself very clean, so I just brush her alot and she stays beautiful!! And I am scared to get water in her ears, so I figure its better for her if I dont bath her. Just wish I knew what is causing this to keep coming back and I am deffinately going to check into the rear end thing! LOL Hope we get some answers! She has never had this gland emptied and Im not going to do it, ( Not my area of expertise)
but I will find a groomer to do it!
Thanks for your advise

While my vet told me that "BIG" ears do not cause infections, I still think that it is because the shape of the ear is conducive to bacterial growth and moisture retention.  When I feel Betti's ears they are thick, the folds are meaty...unlike the ears of my other two dogs, who never get infections.  Does your collie have thick ears that sit snug to her head?
I think dogs are the most amazing creatures; they give unconditional love.  For me they are the role model for being alive.  ~Gilda Radner

Offline coonie1970

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2005, 08:45:43 am »
AWWW Cuttles YOU CAN DO IT!!!!! Marit will lead you all the way. Then you can do Judges too. Everyone will be happy. HEHEHEEEEE!!!
Coonie
Karen :) Image hosting by Photobucket

Offline cuttles/sadieMay

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2005, 08:52:39 am »
Coonie!!!! You can do Judges big butt yourself!!!LOL
And no Queenie has alot of furr but her ears are actually pretty small and when she feels good her ears stick up in the air!

Offline moonlitcroatia

• BPO Guru
  • Betti Boo March 2008
    • View Profile
    • Greta's Page
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2005, 09:02:55 am »
Here is a veterinary site with more information. http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body_ear_infections.html

It talks about wax buildup contributing to ear infections and having hairy ears, too.  I'm interested in learning more about the "allergy" issues that can cause recurrent ear infections.

Offline moonlitcroatia

• BPO Guru
  • Betti Boo March 2008
    • View Profile
    • Greta's Page
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2005, 09:07:04 am »
Even better, here is the Iowa State University CVM web page:

http://www.vetmed.iastate.edu/faculty_staff/Users/noxon/Ears/ears.html

Offline moonlitcroatia

• BPO Guru
  • Betti Boo March 2008
    • View Profile
    • Greta's Page
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2005, 09:13:49 am »
Apparently, if the ear infection is caused by the Pseudomonas bacteria it can become even more difficult to treat after many antibiotics have been TRIED before examining the bacteria on a slide to determine exactly which bacteria it is.  If the vet knows it is Pseudomonas, then they can take the appropriate actions to treat it immediately, instead of diddling around with various antibiotics that may cause the strain to develop further resistance.

Perhaps my next step is to have Betti's ears cultured to have the cause of infection accurately identified.  Otherwise, I may end up going back for the same thing over and over again.  I am concerned because the recurring infections, over time, can cause scar tissue and the need for corrective surgery.  I didn't know it can become so serious.

:'(

Offline doveinpain

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2005, 03:34:01 pm »

what i have found to work is collodial silver (i have no $$ interest, in fact i make my own, its)
you just use a dropper, and put some in the ears. hold ears a few seconds, then let them shake and wipe clean, gently.

xoxooxoxoxoxox
whisper & mel
so calif.

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2005, 06:53:13 pm »
What kind of symptoms does she get?
RIP former BPO

Offline nettrek4

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
    • Bonnie Collies
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2005, 06:26:23 pm »
  Cuttles, I'm late to this discussion, but I'm a collie breeder.  I once had a collie that had this problem repeatedly, and my vet recommended a home remedy that might help you.
   Mix regular white vinegar 50/50 with water. Put 6 drops in each ear about once a week and massage in.  After about 5 minutes wipe out the ear.  I am told that what this does is change the pH inside the ear, making is unsuitable for whatever bacteria is having such a fine time in there right now. 
   It worked for me, even if it does smell a bit.  Certainly cheap, and if you try it for 4-6 weeks you should be able to tell if it is effective for you or not.  Good Luck!   Marcia P. and the Bonnie Collies
Marcia P. and the Bonnie Collies