Author Topic: question about AKC registration...UPDATE!...We have a name!!!  (Read 16312 times)

Gypsy Jazmine

question about AKC registration...UPDATE!...We have a name!!!
« on: August 23, 2006, 12:16:38 pm »
We've decided not to send Sheba's papers into the AKC to have her registered...A s far as I can see if you don't breed or show you are pretty much just handing your money to the AKC with no benefits...Is there anything I am missing?
« Last Edit: August 29, 2006, 05:38:35 pm by Gypsy Jazmine »

Offline NoDogNow

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
Re: question about AKC registration...
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2006, 12:19:02 pm »
Just their tacky magazine and an ugly tag...
Sheryl, Dogless and sad

Offline Saint and Mal mom

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2006, 12:24:16 pm »
That's very interesting. I am in the process of getting ready to register both Dolly and Zoey through the Indefinite Listing Privilege or whatever that the AKC offers because neither of them have papers proving they are purebred even though they are. You think this is just a waste of my money?
Marissa

Zoey- Alaskan Malamute, 4 years
Dolly, CGC- Saint Bernard, 4 years
Foster mom to Clarence- Basset Hound, 5 years

"To be loved by...any animal should fill us with awe-for we have not deserved it."

Offline NoDogNow

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2006, 12:31:37 pm »
Yes.  Unless you plan on getting into carting or obedience competitions or something, I just don't see the point of paying AKC breed registry fees for dogs that are never going to be bred.
Sheryl, Dogless and sad

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2006, 12:34:24 pm »
Well, I wouldn't mind getting them into carting or tracking events. And I don't know, perhaps it means more to me for no reason at all to have them registered. Am I being silly? My first dog was a mix and I obviously couldn't register him, so maybe I'm just going nuts because now I have "pure-breds" and want to register them. Again, am I being silly?  :-\
Marissa

"To be loved by...any animal should fill us with awe-for we have not deserved it."

Offline NoDogNow

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2006, 12:44:35 pm »
No, you're not being silly. If you want to register your dog, you totally should--it's not like they want $1000! It's what, $65 a year?  That's like, a week's worth of stuffies.

Don't let my AKC-registered-puppies-in-the-pet-store-prison-cages chronic aggravation infect you. If iit will make you smile to say your dog is AKC registered, do it.

Just know that we have more info (and more ACCURATE)info on all things doggy here on BPO--and the collar tags really are not remotely cute.  ;)
Sheryl, Dogless and sad

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2006, 12:56:15 pm »
Do you have to renew their registration each year? It's $35 for each dog. If so, what does it cost?
Marissa

Offline tanimara

• Big Paw Certified
  • Tanimara's Spirit Warrior "Warrior"
    • View Profile
    • Tanimara Great Pyrenees
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2006, 01:00:11 pm »
Chelle, the AKC is a waste of your money unless you want to enter AKC, sanctioned events as already has been said but there is one more reason.  You may want to know her pedigree.  Cost to register just a single dog is still at $15 unless you want a certified copy of her pedigree then it is an extra $17 for the pedigree.  But there is nothing wrong with paying for bragging rites... Jackie
Jackie Wood
Owner/Breeder Tanimara Great Pyrenees

"A people without a history is like wind on the buffalo grass"
Crazy Horse - Oglala Sioux

GR8DAME

« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2006, 02:11:28 pm »
AKC registration is a one time fee. There are no renewal fees. I have papers all of my dogs, past and present except Raven who was a purebred rescue, and Strider who is a mix. I keep them just the way I keep the tags of my past babies. For a rememberance. I have never showed, and have no intention of breeding. I am not a fan of the AKC, nor am I a purebred snob.I am simply an anal retentive paper filer. :P
Stella

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2006, 02:15:06 pm »
Then I think I may go through with it after all. I like picking out long names too! Mine aren't anything fancy though. Not like Penny Lane's pretty name! Isn't it Aneto's Almost Famous Whiterose? Mine are simple. Dolly is "Dolly's I'm the cute one" and Zoey is "My Zoey girl's a star". Would anyone else care to share what their dog's registered name is?
Marissa

Gypsy Jazmine

« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2006, 02:51:39 pm »
Chelle, the AKC is a waste of your money unless you want to enter AKC, sanctioned events as already has been said but there is one more reason.  You may want to know her pedigree.  Cost to register just a single dog is still at $15 unless you want a certified copy of her pedigree then it is an extra $17 for the pedigree.  But there is nothing wrong with paying for bragging rites... Jackie
Thanks Jackie & both you & Holly brought up a very good reason to register her...I would LOVE to know more about where she came from. (now that you have me hooked on pedigrees & lines, Ms. Tanimara...lol!) So, for that specifically I think I will register her...Thinking of the fancy shmancy AKC name is just a plus then....lol!
Marissa, you are not at all silly to register your dogs if that is what you want to do...I was proud as a peacock when I registered Pippin! ;D ...He was my 1st dog  that could be registered & I was pleased to include him in the AKC ranks!...Also, he carries the Tanimara name & is his great grandpa's namesake (have you ever read the story of "Wolf"?) & that meant alot to me....Register away & have fun with it...I did! :-* ;D

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2006, 02:54:15 pm »
Thanks! I'm getting my pics developed to send in with the forms and money this week. What will Sheba's name be, do you know?
Marissa

Gypsy Jazmine

« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2006, 04:10:06 pm »
Thanks! I'm getting my pics developed to send in with the forms and money this week. What will Sheba's name be, do you know?
i'm not sure yet...April came up with "Sheba's Spoiled Christmas Eve (her dam's name is Eve"...& I really like that but I am not 100% sure yet. :-\

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2006, 04:26:55 pm »
That's pretty...and very fitting!  :D
Marissa

Gypsy Jazmine

« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2006, 05:05:46 pm »
i'm not sure yet...April came up with "Sheba's Spoiled Christmas Eve (her dam's name is Eve"...& I really like that but I am not 100% sure yet. :-\
Or on that note her sire's name is Adam...I know how origional...lo l!...How about something Biblical like Sheba's In The Beginning...or Sheba's Forbidden Fruit or Sheba's Tempt The Serpent?...or Sheba's All is Forgiven?...C'mon people...I am on a train of thought I like but not quite getting it! :-\ :)