Author Topic: No Dogs Allowed  (Read 24096 times)

Nicole

Re: No Dogs Allowed
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2005, 11:20:15 am »
Marit-
I didn't know you were in Charlotte! I absolutely LOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOVE it there!!!!!!!! I used to live in Chapel Hill. I really miss it there!

Nikker-
 Thanks! We found her a home with a really nice family. They're going to be great for her. I named her Dixie. I don't know if they'll keep it, though. Maybe...they're kinda red-necky!

Newflvr-
 You are SOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOO lucky to be able to take your doggies to the mall! How cool!

Offline NatsaintB

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2005, 08:20:26 pm »
I hate leaving Leo so much that I find myself putting off going to places he's not allowed to be.   I wish they sold food at Petco! I even thought once about getting him a service dog blanket to wear so I wouldn't have to leave him home and I could take him everywhere!  That would be dishonest I know, but I wish there was a way. 

Offline Jason

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2005, 05:47:28 pm »
There is an annual festival in Atlanta called the Dogwood Festival that marks the coming of spring and the blossoming of the Dogwood trees. It also became a festival that catered to dogs and dog lovers around the area. A few years back, because of some new laws, they posted signs that no dogs were allowed at the Dogwood Festival. The exception was the dogs that were competing in the frisbee catching competition. Go figure. They have events that center around canines, but don't allow them at the festival otherwise. I boycotted the festival for a few years, but decided to attend this year without my dog. I have to say, the festival was not even half the event without the dogs and I will never attend again.

Jason

nickerbokker

« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2005, 05:53:13 pm »
I hate leaving Leo so much that I find myself putting off going to places he's not allowed to be.   I wish they sold food at Petco! I even thought once about getting him a service dog blanket to wear so I wouldn't have to leave him home and I could take him everywhere!  That would be dishonest I know, but I wish there was a way.  

lol, *ducks*, i had the same though natty LOL...no kidding.

Offline poofynewfy

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2005, 07:22:11 pm »
They don't sell food of any kind at your Petco or just not your brand? I know where I am almost any dog related store allows them in which is awesome!

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2005, 10:23:25 pm »
Bring your guys and come with us!!  We have fun!!!  Cowboy and I went in to Saks a couple of months ago and we managed to get the entire cosmetics department on the floor giving him loves!  It was SOOO much fun!!!

Offline pndlake

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2005, 07:45:31 pm »
I recently took Niki on a leash into a large Mal after reading these posts.  I read all of the entrance doors and there was no sign that dogs were not allowed.  So I went in and wandered around the center where all the benches are and people stroll around. I figured all that could happen was that I get kicked out.  Pretty soon several kids came up and I love to show off so Niki started picking up paper and putting it in the big trash cans by jumping up on them.  I let her loose but the leash was dragging. The kids went crazy and the mom was ready to make me a deal on dog training.  Niki was going through her routine of tricks from hand signals only and this great big security guard came up.  His belly just hung over his tight belted pants and he said "well is that one of "those" dogs".  I said "yes" and he said "well I didn't see a cape on her".  Well she has a cape that says "customer service" and drapes all around her back, so I said "whoops, I forgot it".  He said ok and I figured I better hightail it out before I get kicked out.  So my point is, is it against the law for me to walk in with a cape on her?  I didn't see any law about capes, did you?  People say cheating, I say CHEATING WHAT?
Peggy

Offline mitchie

• Full Fledged Chewer
  • Daisy n' Phoebe
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 28, 2005, 06:49:56 am »
My husband & I took our rottie to home depot once because he had recently seen other people in there with their dogs.  We strolled around
looking for some hardware.  It was such a pleasure until a manager approached us and told us to get our rottweiler out of the store.
We explained that we saw other dogs in the store many times and he was very biligerant about us leaving so we did.
I didn't see a sign that said dogs allowed except for rottweilers anywhere.  I would just love to live somewhere that I could
go just about everywhere with my dogs.  For now we are content going to our favorite pet store together.
It smells better in there than any store! ;D

We're having a doggie birthday party here Sunday for my good friends newf who is turning one year old.
I can't wait.  We let all of them swim too.   We'll get some pictures to post...my friend is also on this website
with her two newfs.  My rottie doesn't swim, she be watching over them from a safe distance so as not to get wet.
It should be a day of doggie heaven.
 :)

Offline Newf Lover

• BPO Fanatic
  • Cool dog + Cold beer = Chilled Out
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ryanbrumley.com
« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2005, 09:49:36 am »
Hey Peggy, may be you can get some black sunglasses and a harness?  That would be a little insensitive to blind people, but I guess it could be another way you could get into places with your dog.  Not very practical.   We actually were working on getting Drake into pet therapy and for several reasons.  Number one, Newfs are great for people to hug and cry on.  When I have a hard day, I come home and hug Drake and I feel much better.  Plus, with the Pet therapy "cape" we could take him everywhere.  But we didn't want to "use" the system and it was too much of a time commitment to get him through the program.  So, if we don't see a No dogs allowed sign, we assume we can bring Drake.  If people have a problem with it, we leave.  No big deal.  I was at the Half Yearly Sale at Nordstroms last week and saw people walking around the store with dogs.  Didn't know that allowed that there.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2005, 09:52:17 am by Newf Lover »
My Newfoundland Lives My Life As Passionately As I Live His.

Offline WhiteShepherdDog

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 28, 2005, 09:53:55 am »
Does anyone else have to deal with this stupid issue?  What is the logic behind it?
I will respectfully give you my opinion as to why the "stupid issue" is "personal responsibility".
Respecting the laws of your community is your personal responsibility to the public.

Just because I am in the public, I do not want children running up to me or my dog.
I do not stare at others in public that may be different and have handicaps, either.
I was taught to respect a person's privacy in public spaces.
Just like my civic freedom is to be free from secondhand smoke in public places, it is my freedom to be free from strangers approaching me and my dog.
Children should be taught never to approach a strange dog in public.
When I am sitting in the outdoor cafe with my dog and family, I don't want everyone to interrupt my meal with, "Oh, what a big dog!" I don't go by their table and say,"My, what a big child!"
My dog is trained to lie beside me next to the table while I eat. Why would I want your child to disturb us?
Not all dog enthusiasts or owners want to be on public display, but would like to maintain the right to private space in the public.
-I do not invite other dogs to go nose- to- nose to my dog, either.
-I don't go to dog parks either.
But I, like you, am a large dog owner. My dog is part of *my* life, not necessarily part of any dog or person that I meet on the street. I work my dog and train my dog and take great joy and pleasure in including him in the state parks, restaurants, beaches and rivers where I live.
He is usually the best behaved dog in the campgrounds and in public places. He lies quietly while other peoples dogs are barking at everyone walking by....
How long will the restaurants allow dogs outside that are jumping on every patron who walks by, getting tangled up on the chairs and tables?

NO DOGS ALLOWED is becoming more frequent in all communities because of people who don't get it. Like smokers who insist that their SMOKE outside is not harming anyone.....
now we have laws, since education didn't work.
Interesting in England, where there is an accepted etiquette for dogs in public, they are allowed in many places. But in America, we are making laws banning dogs an an uprecedented rate.

For instance, the point of having your dog on a leash is to have it in control, not to let it still run up to another dog even though it is "on leash." I can't tell you how may times this happens in public places. Not everyone in America  picks up their dog poop in rest areas, parks and sidewalks. It is common etiquette in England.

In our fine democracy, for which young men and women are dying for, your freedom ends where mine begins. In other words, just because you see the world in one view doesn't mean that is how everyone sees it.
There would be fewer laws if more people took personal responsibility to respect the rights of others on the roads and in public places.
Simple Civics 101.
The relationship you build with your dog is what is important. Some of us think that relationship is more important than creating a circus in the public arena.
Looking for someplace to take your dog? Try PetSmart...tak e your dog where it is wanted.
Please do not force your yourself in public places where there is a clear policy, as it gives dog owners a poor image.
Every dog owner portrays an image in public. If we want to prevent more bans of dogs in public, a good idea is to act as an ambassador of good will and respect the rights of others.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2005, 09:59:12 am by WhiteShepherdDog »
Regards,
Martha in Texas

Offline Newf Lover

• BPO Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 28, 2005, 10:20:46 am »
Whitesheparddo g:  If you don't like people approaching you in public, don't leave your house!  Part of having a purebred dog is to share it with others.  It's great that you have a well behaved dog that you can take out in public and it won't embarrass you or cause a scene, but don't get mad at people who are animal lovers and want to appreciate your dog up close.  If I took my Newf out in Public and scowled and got pissed at every person who was curious about the big, beautiful, cuddly dog I have with me, I would look like the biggest a-hole!  It is part of having a big dog, people are going to want to approach you.  Most people are used to small or mid-sized dogs and when they see a 150 lb. Newfoundland or a 200 lb. Mastiff walking down the street or playing in the park, there is a chance they are going to be curious as to what this large animal is.  Maybe I'm wrong but sounds like you want to show off your dog, like it is a possession or decoration, but no one can touch it.  That's why you don't go to dog parks, because that means you have to share your dog.  You sound like many of the breeders that are at dog shows, who want everyone to ooh and aah and coo over their beautiful dog, but don't touch!  And don't ask questions or take pictures until the dog is perfectly posed.  To each his own, but I think you really don't get it.  Owning a dog is like entering a brotherhood or sisterhood and many people want to share the love.  Good luck, you've got a long hard road ahead of you!

And have you actually been to Europe?  England wasn't too bad but in France, I think I missed most of Paris because I was too busy dodging piles of dog crap that were on the sidewalk.  NO JOKE!!!
« Last Edit: June 28, 2005, 03:38:19 pm by Newf Lover »

GYPSY JAZMINE

« Reply #26 on: June 28, 2005, 11:26:53 am »
I love when people ooohh & aaahhh over Samson!...It makes me SO proud!...I have had very very few incidents of people running up to him or children running up to him though...The places where I take him people are usuallly very respectful of Samson's space...maybe because you can obviously tell he is a big scardy cat though...I do whole heartedly agree that people should teach their children not to go up to any strange dog...I have had a very occasional child want to hug Samson but when I see them coming I just say STOP loudly & the few have complied immedatly...I then use the situation as an educational oppertunity to teach children & sometimes parents on how to approach a dog & what Samson's body language is saying to them...& it all helps me to socialize my big doofy scardy cat!

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 28, 2005, 11:42:48 am »
Very well put Newf Lover and Gypsy. I love to have people touch and take pictures with Bear. They are always sooo curious and intrigued by this giant hairy black dog so I feel it is my part to tell them and teach them about my dog.  If you go out, expect to have people fall in love with your giant dog. Enjoy it- you have something many people don't. Let it remind you of how special you and your dog are to have each other and how much you can educate the general population with your dog.  
« Last Edit: June 28, 2005, 08:34:18 pm by jabear »
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

Offline Newf Lover

• BPO Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 28, 2005, 11:45:24 am »
Yeah, Gypsy, you're right, kids shouldn't run up to dogs.  Most parents are mindful of that, which makes sense in these dog mauling days we live in.  I do the same if any kids run up, I get between Drake and them.  Most kids ask if they can pet him and I always say yes.  Socialization is so key for dogs, the more they are around people the better.  And I've had all sorts of encounters, from drunk a-holes at beerfestivals who think it's funny to kick dogs, to autistic kids who freak out because Drake is walking near them, to groups of drunk twentysomethin g girls who flock around Drake and begin kissing him on the face without thinking twice.  I know he is able to handle just about any situation and still be a well behaved Gentledog.  I just think it's rediculous to get annoyed because people approach you and want to pet or talk about your dog.  As long as they're respectful, I appreciate their interest and friendliness and love sharing the breed with them.  And Amen Jaime, you are spot on with your comments.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2005, 12:04:26 pm by Newf Lover »

GYPSY JAZMINE

« Reply #29 on: June 28, 2005, 11:57:49 am »
We have a neighbor kids with Asperger's Syndrom which is a mild form of Autism...Sammy has done wonders for him!...He was TERRIFIED of Sam at 1st but now is able to come into out yard & play with alot less anxiety where Sam is concerned...He will even tell him "BACK SAM" in a no nonsence voice when Sams gets romping too close...I will let the boy hold a ball or his light saber which Sam is leary of to keep the big doofy dog at bay when Justin gets too anxious at Sammy's puppyness...It's great to see the progress that both Samson & Justin are making with each other! ;D