Author Topic: Pregnant Mom = Over-protective Dog???  (Read 2987 times)

Offline Newf Lover

• BPO Fanatic
  • Cool dog + Cold beer = Chilled Out
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ryanbrumley.com
Pregnant Mom = Over-protective Dog???
« on: August 24, 2006, 06:19:02 am »
We've noticed that Drake has become extra protective and alert when he goes on walks with Sarah.  He must know she's pregnant now and feels the need to be over protective.  If someone else is walking down the same road, his ears get perked and he slows down and puts himself between Sarah and the other person.  If a person comes behind her, he tries to turn around and even sits until the person passes by.  For the first time ever we have had to warn people not to approach too quickly.  He's never been like that before, but he sure is now!  What a good boy, he's going to be a great brother to our little girl.  Has anyone else experienced this with their dog when they were pregnant?  ???
My Newfoundland Lives My Life As Passionately As I Live His.

lins_saving_grace

Re: Pregnant Mom = Over-protective Dog???
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2006, 06:32:48 am »
I've heard dogs can sense that. a little protectiveness is ok.  At least he's not lunging and growling at people.

Offline Softhug

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2006, 07:14:49 am »
Zachary just turned 2 this past weekend, so we didn't have Boudreaux then, but Tsu became wicked protective when I was pregnant.  Normally she would bark and be at the door when someone was there.  When I was pregnant, she would bark totally different...th reateningly (is that a word?)  She would try to lunge and get to whomever was at the door.  DH would have to come get her so I could get the door.  Now, she is back to normal, just barking when someone is at the door.   
Jacquie-Undercover Princess
Tsu Ling-Chow Chow-RIP 5/08
Boudreaux-American Mastiff
Griffey-Pi55y, fat, yellow cat
Comrade-red/white Siberian Husky
"Lots of people talk to animals," said Pooh.
"Not that many listen though."
"That's the problem."

GR8DAME

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2006, 07:15:06 am »
I had dobermans when I was pregnant both times. They are protective enough by nature, but they went into overdrive until I delivered. After that they focused on the baby, and watched like a hawk. My daughter never cried at night, Rambo laid by her crib and would wake me at the first sign of restlessness. It is interesting to watch, but you have the right idea in cautioning strangers.
Stella