Author Topic: false pregnancy?  (Read 2493 times)

cricket36580

false pregnancy?
« on: August 24, 2006, 07:03:59 am »
Ok...I have a question.  And if I get flamed I'm taking off my teflon panties and am going postal...  Bella is not fixed as I plan on breeding her.  She went through heat in July and is now developing ninnies and is again carring around the rubber pig and chicken.  She's getting VERY protective of the chicken and pig with the other dogs.  She'll bring them to me to "babysit" too.  Foster can lay down next to one but if the setter or retriever even looks at them, she'll go get them and "hide" them.  She's not agressive or anything but this is getting really frustrating.  If I step on one of them and they squeal...Man, she'll go bonkers.  She did this a little after her last heat but not to this degree.  No, she's not bred.  Yes, I know this.  I'm going to also talk to my vet but I wanted ya'lls opinion on it too.

Offline Miranda

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
Re: false pregnancy?
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2006, 07:11:13 am »
Kingsley does this with his rubber chicken. If Laika gets ahold of it he just paces the floor whining until she gives it up.
If you think dogs can't count, try putting three dog biscuits in your pocket and then giving Fido only two of them.  ~Phil Pastoret

Offline chaos270

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2006, 07:21:56 am »
Our Irish Setter used to do that all the time.  She favored rubber crabs and a rubber Taz.  She always did it after coming into heat and would do it for like two weeks.
Erin and the critters
Kali ~ the newf
Lacey ~ the aussie 
Gabby ~ Holsteiner mare
Fire ~ Appendix Quarter Horse/Belgian gelding
Lilah and Hannah ~ Kali's kitties

Offline longshadowfarms

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
    • Longshadow Farms
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2006, 06:54:11 am »
If she's had a false pregnancy once, chances are she'll do it every time after she's had a heat.  Our Chocolate Lab did that.  Boy was it frustrating!  The last time before we had her spayed she had a full blown one, milk and all!  DH was SO sure she was going to have pups and I was SO certain that she'd not been bred.  I was right ;) Good luck with her!  It certainly is a PITA ;)
Daphne