Author Topic: got a call & how could I say no?....HELP!!!  (Read 5675 times)

Gypsy Jazmine

got a call & how could I say no?....HELP!!!
« on: August 25, 2006, 03:42:52 pm »
I got a call earlier from the boyfriend of a woman I homed a rescue kitten with last year..He had 4 kittens who lost their mother...There were 5 but one died this morning. :'( He asked if I would take them...Like I could say no?...He didn't know how old they were for sure & neither do I but their eyes are opened & they are walking around...2 of them ate watered down moist food with some coaching & 2 are being syringe fed for now...I can't get any supplement for them until morning as the place here in my small town to get it was already closed for tonight...I am attaching 2 pics...One of all 4 & one with a can of soup for comparison of size...I haven't had kittens this small that didn't have their mother come in with them...Can anyone tell how old they might be & how mnay cc's of the rice cereal/water mixture for the ones that won't lap?...Do I have to syringe water if they are getting watered down moist food (the ones that will lap) & watered down rice baby cereal for the ones that won't?...How do I know if they are hungry?...They slept for awhile & are starting to make noise again but they ate like an hour & a half ago...How do I know when they've had enough to eat?...AAAARRRRGGG GGGHHHHHHHH!!!...I can handle anything I have to do to keep them well but I CAN'T handle any of them dying!...Help please!

Offline MagicM3

• Paw-meister
  • *Sir William
    • View Profile
Re: got a call & how could I say no?....HELP!!!
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2006, 03:58:05 pm »
My guess looking at them would be about 3 weeks,
What I would do is bottle feed them,and the old fashioned way I would do it is condensed milk 1/2 water and the clear Karo syurp.

As far as how much until they are full about every 4 hours.
Make sure they are pooping and peeing.*In one end out the other* :)  a warm wet cloth on the other end with a little rubbing at the smae time like a momma kitty licking them and it should work.

You have taken on a big job.Bless you for your efforts.
They are adorable.

Tricia and the fur kids.

Gypsy Jazmine

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2006, 04:05:58 pm »
My guess looking at them would be about 3 weeks,
What I would do is bottle feed them,and the old fashioned way I would do it is condensed milk 1/2 water and the clear Karo syurp.

As far as how much until they are full about every 4 hours.
Make sure they are pooping and peeing.*In one end out the other* :)  a warm wet cloth on the other end with a little rubbing at the smae time like a momma kitty licking them and it should work.

You have taken on a big job.Bless you for your efforts.
They are adorable.

Tricia and the fur kids.

I thought 3 or 4 weeks...The definitly are nor 5 or 6 weeks...My problem is I live in freakin' "small town USA"  & I have no bottle, no Karo Syrup, & no condensed milk & can't get any until 7 a.m...I was told instant rice cereal, water & a pinch of sugar & that is what I have with a medicine syringe until morning...I haven't been able to get any of them to poop yet but I did get one to pee all over me...lol!...I just fed them again & they are sleeping. :)

Gypsy Jazmine

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2006, 04:14:54 pm »
Do they have baby teeth yet?  If they do, you're most likely going to have better luck with the syringe than the bottle ... so you may be better off than you think!
They have tiny itty bitty teeth...They all have tiny front teeth in & they all have some of the side & back teeth in at least. :-\

Offline saintbarney

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
    • Dog Care Central
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2006, 04:56:56 pm »
I'd say they are about 3 weeks old. They are cuties and luckily you won't have to syringe/bottle feed for too much longer. That's great of you to take them in! Raising orphan kittens is so much fun & rewarding! It's the best when you get them about that age because you get to enjoy them but don't have to worry about round the clock feedings for long.  ;)
~Danielle~
www.dog-care-central.com
Wheels for Weebles

My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am. ~Author Unknown

Gypsy Jazmine

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2006, 05:43:16 pm »
3 kittens are doing fine right now but there is one I am concerned with..He keeps "fading" on me but when I pick him up & hold him close he meows his head off & tries to climb up me...I don't know if he is going to make it. :(
Also, I can't get any of them to poop when I use the warm washcloth on the bottom...They just pee...should I be concerned?

Offline saintbarney

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
    • Dog Care Central
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2006, 06:09:24 pm »
Awww I hope the little one makes it! Hopefully they will poop soon. I'm not sure how long it'll take to digest the food. If they came to you really hungry and empty tummies, then it may take a little while before they poop.
~Danielle~
www.dog-care-central.com
Wheels for Weebles

My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am. ~Author Unknown

Gypsy Jazmine

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2006, 06:21:31 pm »
Awww I hope the little one makes it! Hopefully they will poop soon. I'm not sure how long it'll take to digest the food. If they came to you really hungry and empty tummies, then it may take a little while before they poop.
No poops yet but I am breathing a little easier...The little guy I was so concerned with just made me feel better...I got desperate & pulled out some Tender Vittles...Didn't think it would work but he practically took off my fingers as I hand fed him...lol!...Little milk teeth never tickled me so much!...He only ate maybe 5 or 6 kibbles of it but he ate!...I also hung a water bottle & showed them each how to drink from it...We'll see how that goes. :-\

Gypsy Jazmine

« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2006, 07:36:10 pm »
k..we're going to bed...all kittens are fiesty & active now...I just hope I am doing everything right..I've fostered alot of cats & kittens but none quite this young without a mama...Please send good thoughts & prayers...Morn ing will tell the tail. :-\ :)

SA_horses

« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2006, 11:41:04 pm »
Keep a close eye on them...

We had a couple kittens a few years ago that we took in at around two-three weeks old and about the same size; they hadn't opened their eyes yet due to eye infections.  The mama wasn't keeping them clean and that was why we took them.  Regardless, they needed food every two to three hours because they were sick; we took turns getting up in the night and used the kitten milk replacer, KMR, that Petsmart sells.  We used a bottle at first and switched to syringes after the little boy kitten had chewed off the tips of all the nipples.  They were weaned at 5-6 weeks.

Can you maybe get a dried formula mix from your vet?  Or would he not take calls early on a Saturday morning?  Right now, they really need the milk...even goat milk or baby formula if you cannot get kitten formula.

There's a recipe here and lots of information: http://www.homeatlastrescue.org/html/aboutcats/kittencare.html

I hope this helps you, and I hope the kittens are all okay.

And I should have added to weight them if you possibly can.  I know with our peachick that died that if we had been weighing it daily we would have been aware of its weight loss and maybe been able to save him.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2006, 11:48:45 pm by SA_horses »

Offline kathryn

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2006, 02:16:53 am »
They are the cutest!  The one with the soup can is going to be gorgeous when it gets older.  I'm glad that you took them in.  I have only had to hand rear one kitten and it's because her mother dropped her off in my garage.  She was around 3 weeks when I took her in.  Everyone gave you great advice.  How are they doing this morning?
Kaila - Belgian Malinois
Shiner - Malinois x Ridgeback
Toulouse, Cayenne, Raven - DSH

Due to recent budget cuts and the rising cost of electricity, gas and oil, as well as current market conditions, the Light at the End of the Tunnel has been turned off. We apologize for the inconvenience

Kiahpyr

« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2006, 02:49:46 am »
They're so cute!! Looks like you have plenty of good advice. Keep us updated!

cricket36580

« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2006, 03:15:37 am »
Aren't they precious! Lucky you...itllebit tle kittins....I'm jealous.  But then, they do grow up don't they?   ;D

Gypsy Jazmine

« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2006, 03:21:14 am »
OMG!...I'd blissfully forgotten what it was like to be up with tiny babies most of the night. :-\ ...I just got back from the vet...The kittens are 3 weeks old...I got the KMR milk replacer & kitten food...I still havn't gotten any of them to poop but they will pee all over me if I rub their bottoms with a warm, damp, cloth...lol!...The vet said they were in pretty good shape this morning & we got them to lap kitten food moistened with the milk replacer while we were there...There is just one who really isn't getting the lapping well but the vet tech said she'd get it once she gets hungry enough...Thank s everyone for your kind words &  advise! :-*

Gypsy Jazmine

« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2006, 04:57:17 am »
Finally!...I got them all to eat good!...I put the milk replacement in a guinea pig water bottle & got them to suck on it...They are finally quiet & still...I think I am going to take a nap.