Author Topic: Taking my big dog to europe  (Read 5948 times)

Offline AFisher

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
Taking my big dog to europe
« on: August 26, 2006, 06:16:18 am »
Hi everyone! I just found this site and this is my big baby, Jewel, with her favorite kitty. She's half dane, half mastiff, and I've had her since whe was about 12 weeks. I'm moving to europe within the next year and would never go without her. I've been looking for a crate to buy so that she can get comfortable in it before she flies, but haven't been able to find one big enough. I measured her to be 55" from nose to base of tail, and the largest crates I've been able to find are only 48". Does anyone know of any companies that sell xxxxlarge crates?
« Last Edit: August 26, 2006, 06:49:28 am by AFisher »

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
Re: Taking my big dog to europe
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2006, 07:18:49 am »
First of all, welcome to BPO!

As far as the crate goes, what you need is a 'colossal' sized dog crate, which is 54" long and made by a company called "midwest". It looks like this:

You can find retailers on this link: http://www.midwesthomes4pets.com/WhereToBuy/WTB-Opt2.asp
RIP former BPO

Offline LMT

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2006, 09:45:44 am »
I think Liz is right about the wire crates. I think you'd have to find a plastic one, which makes yoru quest significantly harder. Check with the freighting company once you make arrangements just to be sure... It's smart to do all this hunting well beforehand.

As far as sending the pupper... I have shipped my friends dogs to Spain from Miami, as well as recieved them in the Czech Republic. It's important to make sure your dog has all his visas and paperwork. My friend's beagle got held over night during his layover in Frankfurt, Germany because of a paperwork problem. Luckily the airport vet was very kind and actually took him home to play with his GSD's for the night.

Once you have the crate, I would suggest getting your pup accustomed to that particular crate before hand. I think that literally shipping a dog has the potential to be very, very emotional and stressing for the dogs themselves. I think that making the particular shipping crate a warm, inviting place will make the actual trip go smoother. I suggest getting the clip on fans that attach to the wire crate doors - 4 AA batteries and they last for 12 hours. Also,  you will want to leave food in there for him, as well as water. I know, it is common sense, but really, they are going to be treated like freight and probably not given any personal attention.

Good luck working out all the details. Keep up posted if you find a shipping crate that fits your beast! I am sure the rest of us would like to know for future reference!
« Last Edit: August 26, 2006, 09:46:06 am by LMT »
lmt.

Offline kathryn

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2006, 10:14:58 am »
Go to www.iata.org and look up cargo and live animal shipping.  They will give you all the regulations that you need to know on shipping live animals and what crates etc. that you are going to need.  It should also list the paperwork that you will need like international health certificates and shots records.  Zoos have to follow all these specifications when they ship animals on airlines.  Hope this helps.

Kat
Kaila - Belgian Malinois
Shiner - Malinois x Ridgeback
Toulouse, Cayenne, Raven - DSH

Due to recent budget cuts and the rising cost of electricity, gas and oil, as well as current market conditions, the Light at the End of the Tunnel has been turned off. We apologize for the inconvenience

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2006, 12:23:02 pm »
Here's another website that gives very specific recommendation s for shipping animals:

http://www.research.cornell.edu/CARE/CARE541.pdf#search=%22animal%20shipping%22