Author Topic: question about the orphan kittens I am taking care of...  (Read 2637 times)

Gypsy Jazmine

question about the orphan kittens I am taking care of...
« on: August 27, 2006, 12:13:18 am »
Some of you know that I've taken in a litter of 3 to 4 week orphaned kittens....2 are doing awesome...1 is doing pretty good & one just still seems small & week but will eat for me...My question is: How important is it for them to poop after each feeding? (I am feeding KMR milk replacer mostly & some moistened kitten food which the 2 strongest kitties will lap at but I am having a bit of trouble getting the other two to) I am stimulating their bottoms to get them to go, though I've had 2 poops now that have been left without my help...They pee for me after every feeding but I can't get them to poop everytime...Sh ould I be concerned? :-\
« Last Edit: August 27, 2006, 12:15:31 am by Gypsy Jazmine »

Offline Imani's Mom

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
    • My Chinchilla Page
Re: question about the orphan kittens I am taking care of...
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2006, 01:19:18 am »
They might have been very hungry when you found them, and are still using every bit of nutrition they are getting so far, which means less/no waste to poop out.  I would stop worrying until/unless they are eating wonderfully and still no poops after 2-3 full days of feedings.  Sometimes it takes a while for them to get enough nutrition.  You would know if they were constipated, as their bellies would be large and firm, and they would be straining to poop, which would make their anus protrude some, and possibly be red.

Weedsport, NY

Gypsy Jazmine

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2006, 02:16:26 am »
They might have been very hungry when you found them, and are still using every bit of nutrition they are getting so far, which means less/no waste to poop out.  I would stop worrying until/unless they are eating wonderfully and still no poops after 2-3 full days of feedings.  Sometimes it takes a while for them to get enough nutrition.  You would know if they were constipated, as their bellies would be large and firm, and they would be straining to poop, which would make their anus protrude some, and possibly be red.
They might be a bit constipated then...Anythin g I can do?
Thanks you both for your quick replies!...I've had many many cats  & kittens go through my door in my life...I never turn any animal in need away but these are the youngest kittens I've had without their mama...Being a surrogate kitten mama is stressful & tiring but I am starting to get the hang of it! :)

Gypsy Jazmine

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2006, 03:23:26 am »
They might be a bit constipated then...Anythin g I can do?
Thanks you both for your quick replies!...I've had many many cats  & kittens go through my door in my life...I never turn any animal in need away but these are the youngest kittens I've had without their mama...Being a surrogate kitten mama is stressful & tiring but I am starting to get the hang of it! :)

I know you don't want to hear this one (cuz it will mean even less sleep!  ;D)....but if they are constipated, you should feed them more often with smaller portions.  Also, adding a couple drops of mineral oil is supposed to help.
Thanks Holly!
Tina, I've been doing the research...I am not finding everything I need easily & my time is limited to say the least with me taking care of 14 of my own animals, (including one cat that is dying & Samson who has allergies & is miserable, & still trying to find time for one on one training for Sheba) my skin kids, my home & everything that entails, & my hubby is gone 5 days a week...I know there are people here who have taken care of orphaned kittens before & advise from someone experienced cuts through all of the figuring out what works best...Next week I go back to work part time...I am praying that the kittens will be eating, drinking & pottying by themselves by then.....AAAAR RRGGGGGGGGGHHH HHHHHHHHHHH!!! :-\ :-\ :-\

Offline Imani's Mom

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
    • My Chinchilla Page
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2006, 04:56:11 am »
Sometimes holding their lower bellies in some warm water, even having the faucet run right onto the area, and gently massaging the area at the same time will help get them to go, and when you finish with the water, whether it helps them or not, you could put a dab of baby oil, mineral oil, or even vegetable oil in the anus, and use a q-tip to get a dab INSIDE, (but not too far, so you don't hurt them) can make it easier for them to go if they are constipated.   Also, add some light karo syrup to their feedings, as that is supposed to help prevent constipation.

Weedsport, NY

Gypsy Jazmine

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2006, 06:57:33 am »
Things are looking alot better now...We're getting good poops!...3  of them are fiesty & loud...I am still concerned for the 4th...She just seems to be lagging a bit behind the rest...She will eat good but has to be coaxed & coddled & seems to lose interest in eating alot faster than the others...She is the little one...I think it was Holly who said that kittens can be born a few days apart so this could be the case her...Her head is even smaller than the rest of their heads...I think she will be o.k. she is just a bit delayed. :) ...B.t.w., the other 3 kittens have found they can drink milk replacer from the guinea pig water bottle I hung for them...This helps so I don't have to feed them as often or as much so it is taking less time before they are full. :)

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2006, 07:15:51 am »
Boy!  It sounds like all good news!  You are so fantastic to take these little lost souls under your wing!  You truly are amazing!!!  :-* :-* :-* :-*

Gypsy Jazmine

« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2006, 07:26:58 am »
Boy!  It sounds like all good news!  You are so fantastic to take these little lost souls under your wing!  You truly are amazing!!!  :-* :-* :-* :-*
Don't go patting me on the back...lol...I've been doing plenty of grumbling & cursing....Lac k of sleep & stress causes me to get very grumpy! :-\
Your kind words made me smile though...Thank you. :)
« Last Edit: August 27, 2006, 07:28:08 am by Gypsy Jazmine »

Offline Good Hope

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2006, 09:03:24 am »
Hey Chelle, Sofia told me of your rescue. You have a heart of gold.

With the little one, I think you've had good advice. I'd feed the little one more often with a bottle for a couple of days until he catches up. It is murder the lack of sleep but well worth the effort.

Hang in there.

Offline Imani's Mom

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
    • My Chinchilla Page
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2006, 10:01:57 am »
You are doing great!  Sounds like you got everybody past the danger zone, and you are on the easy side of the situation now.  I know, I know- still not getting much sleep, but now you don't have to worry about waking up to find you have lost them.  Keep up the great work!

Weedsport, NY