Author Topic: Adi's vet visit  (Read 4451 times)

Offline LMT

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
Adi's vet visit
« on: August 26, 2006, 09:54:31 am »
Adicus had his second vet visit today and finished up all his vaccinations. The vet put him on Revolution for heartworm, fleas and ticks. We're supposed to go in monthly for a weigh in and get the proper dosage of revolution. Everything seems  quite normal...

At 18.5 weeks, he weighs in at 37.9lbs. He gained 9 pounds since I got him on July 27. Because of all the talk on the board about whether to feed large breed puppy kibble or not, I asked her how long he should stay on it. She said it  would be a LONG time before she recommends taking him off it because of how much growing he has left to do. However, I was wondering how much growth is TOO fast? If he's steadily increasing but not overboard, I am happy to keep him on the large breed puppy... Any input?

I'm supposed to keep an eye on his paws because of his chewing on them to see if it really becomes an OCD thing or just an effect of the teething.

And... She recommended getting him neutered in the next month to month and a half (from 5 to 6 months). I know that this too is highly debatable - when the right time to neuter is. I am probably going to do this before 6 months so that there are fewer complications as far as anesthesia goes - that worries me! But would any of you flat out object to doing it at this age?

Thanks for being a sounding board!
« Last Edit: August 26, 2006, 09:54:53 am by LMT »
lmt.

Offline Saintgirl

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
Re: Adi's vet visit
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2006, 12:55:04 am »
I disagree with your vet about the puppy food thing. My vet would disagree with your vet too, but that's just the way things go, we all have our own opinions. You have to be confident that YOU are doing the right thing for your growing boy, that's what matters the most. The same thing goes for the early neutering. There are many pros and cons each way, but something to keep in mind is that a full grown 65lb dog is going to reach a much higher level of physical maturity at 5 or 6 months than a potentially full grown 150lb+ dog at the same age. This is why it is so important to have a vet who really understands the differences between a large breed dog and a giant breed. I know that these are some tough choices to make. Good luck!
Leah, Hutch, and Abbey

Offline PennyK

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2006, 03:00:01 am »
We have Teddy on the large breed puppy food as well (Iams).  I've read all the pros and cons and I'm not sure of what to make of it, so.....our plan is to stay on it until he is a year then go to adult.  Our thoughts are that puppies need different things than adults so we will give him ample opportunity to get those before we switch him over. (the bag does say to keep giant breed pups on it for 2 yrs).

Teddy was putting on about 5 lbs per week between 4 and 6 months!!  Eeek!!  Now he has slowed down to about 3.5 lbs per week at around 7-8 months.  Seems like a lot to me but I'm no expert either - Teddy is my very first puppy of any kind!

As for neutering...re ad all that stuff too.  Don't know what to make of it either!  LOL!  We wanted to wait until he was almost a year but now we have decided just to wait until it gets cooler.  He will probably be around 10 months when we get it done.

Whatever feels best for you!  Read whatever you can and make use of what makes sence to you.  I think its mostly just what YOU feel you should do to ensure Adi's good health.   

BTW:  He's a real cutie!!!
Every girl needs a Teddy bear!

Offline LMT

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2006, 06:17:58 am »
Thanks for the input. I realize that the vet doesn't specialize in our particular breed - so the more and more I try to research a weight chart of Saints, I worry that Adi's a bit under. Over the last 4 weeks, from 3.5 to 4.5 months, he gained 9 pounds. The only chart I ccan find is from 1950 and it says he should be about 60-65 pounds right now! He's less than 40lbs. I am playing with the idea of upping his food intake. Maybe I am just worrying too much...

Here's a link to the growth chart I found. http://www.acay.com.au/~dissi/sbc/weight.htm
lmt.

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2006, 07:13:59 am »
You do have a hard decision to make but like the above mentioned, do what you think is best after hearing/readin both sides. Bear was on puppy food until he was about 1. He is unaltered currently which has given us no problems at all but if/when he needs it done surgically then we'll do it. Good luck.
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

Offline LMT

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2006, 12:03:49 pm »
Holly, thank you for the info. I really appreciate yours and everyone's responses. I'm going to continue doing more research. The ProPlan he's on now seems to be treating him well since he isn't gaining too much, too quickly... However, I am interested in Eagles Pack and will be doing more research. I think we'll stick with puppy food for now, but I am going to take him in to the vet weekly for weigh-ins just to monitor his progress.
lmt.

Lyn

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2006, 01:58:33 pm »
I wouldn't worry too much about his weight. Bubba was on the light side compared to that chart too. He still is lighter than what that chart says he should weigh for his age. They all seem to grow at different rates. Lola on the other hand is 19 weeks old today and is about 55 pounds. Bubba didn't even weigh that at that age and males are suppose to be heavier than females.

They do go through a long-legged gangly looking stage too. I can't remember what age that was.. But I remember how frustrating it was because some people (cough, cough my mother in law) was accusing me of starving Bubba. Coming from the woman that thinks if they are not fat they are not healthy. ::)

Offline LMT

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2006, 03:48:18 pm »
Thanks for all the input and support. We are definitely going to be switching over to another/better brand of food. I have a keen liking for ProPlan because of how great it was for the husky that I rescued a few years back - especially on his coat. But the more and more I read, the more I am pulled to try these other brands, particularly Eagles Pack.

Lyn, sorry to hear Lola is a chub. It's kinda cute. She's 15 pounds heavier than Adi!
lmt.

Lyn

« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2006, 06:16:26 am »
I feed Eagle Pack and I'm pretty happy with it. I prefer their Holistic Select formulas to their other kibbles. No corn and less junk. I feed Bubba the Holistic Fish and Oatmeal (he has a sensitive tummy and can't eat anything else) and I'm going to try the Holistic Chicken for Lola. Right now I'm feeding her Bubba's fish kibble mixed with some California Natural chicken.

Lola is built like a little tank. LOL She's solid, but I can easily feel her ribs.. I think she's going to be fairly short but really wide once she's finished growing. Bubba on the other hand was a tall, leggy, thin looking pup. I'm still waiting for him to fill out.  :-\

Offline Saint and Mal mom

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2006, 10:21:08 am »
I also wouldn't worry about Adi's weight. Is probably best that he's on the light side rather than the heavy side! It's very hard to lose extra weight for dogs! I am feeding ProPlan to Zoey. I think she likes it pretty well, and the first ingredient is chicken, so Purina is on the right track with this food. Have you looked at Nutro Max or Natural Choice? They make some pretty good foods, but are about the same price as ProPlan and are at Petsmart, Petco, and other pet stores. Dolly is on Nutro Max for now. And I will be keeping Dolly on large breed puppy food until she's 2. Zoey is finally on adult large breed food but she's 1 1/2. Again, there are many varying opinions on here about what to feed. Basically, the choice is up to you, so make sure you feel good about your decision!
Marissa

Zoey- Alaskan Malamute, 4 years
Dolly, CGC- Saint Bernard, 4 years
Foster mom to Clarence- Basset Hound, 5 years

"To be loved by...any animal should fill us with awe-for we have not deserved it."