Author Topic: New foster pup - Weebles  (Read 9876 times)

Offline saintbarney

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
    • Dog Care Central
New foster pup - Weebles
« on: August 26, 2006, 04:57:58 pm »
I just got back from volunteering at the shelter today and I brought home a very special puppy with me!

It's kind of a long story so I'll try to make it as brief as possible...bas ically there is a man who is a very bad pet owner. He lets his mixed breed dogs mate over and over and they live outside under his junky porch. No heartworm preventatives, never been vaccinated, etc. Today he brought in the current litter which was sired by the dams son.

The puppies appear to have CH (Cerebellar Hypoplasia) and wobble all over the place. That's just my diagnosis since they haven't been to a vet yet. I was wondering if the inbreeding could have had something to do with it?

Anyway, one of the pups is really wobbly and the poor little fellow walks like he's drunk...my heart just melted when I saw him. He is the cutest darn thing ever and he is really tiny compared to his littermates. They wouldn't let him eat and he has difficulties holding still enough to eat and drink. So I took him home for the weekend to give him extra TLC and to make sure he gets enough food and water since he is pretty emaciated. He'll be going to the vet with the rest of his littermates on Monday.

His mom is a collie/sheperd mix and I guess so is his dad since he is also the mom's son. The dad is black and fluffy like this little guy and the rest of the littermates look more like collie/shep mixes.

Here are some pictures of Weebles. It was hard to get them since he moves so much...this was as best as I could get.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2006, 05:00:32 pm by saintbarney »
~Danielle~
www.dog-care-central.com
Wheels for Weebles

My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am. ~Author Unknown

Offline My Friend Joey

• Full Fledged Chewer
  • Kuvasz/Pyr
    • View Profile
Re: New foster pup - Weebles
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2006, 08:38:39 pm »
awe, jeepers creepers, so cute...i so wish that people would care for the welfare of animals more.
"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion." ~Unknown

Offline Bella's mom

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2006, 03:30:22 am »
Poor baby!  People can be so ignorant.
I'm just so glad that this little one had you to step in and help! :-*
Tessie - Belladonna's and Mojo's Mom

Offline saintbarney

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
    • Dog Care Central
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2006, 02:39:10 pm »
The guy that brought these puppies in to the shelter wouldn't shut up about how much he loves animals. It was sickening and really hard to be nice to him but I've had to deal with him before and making him upset would have put the puppies in jeopardy (he would have taken them with him). But on the plus side, me being so nice to him is resulting in the mama getting spayed. I offered to pay for it and he accepted! I'm gonna take her in next week to be fixed.
~Danielle~
www.dog-care-central.com
Wheels for Weebles

My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am. ~Author Unknown

Offline MommaBear

• Paw-meister
  • baby bear
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2006, 02:44:09 pm »
aaww Weebles is so cute. What is prognosis for cerebellar hypoplasia? Do they just wobble throughout life? Good for you on getting the dog spayed.

Offline saintbarney

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
    • Dog Care Central
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2006, 02:55:04 pm »
aaww Weebles is so cute. What is prognosis for cerebellar hypoplasia? Do they just wobble throughout life? Good for you on getting the dog spayed.

Yep, they just wobble through life. I've been around CH cats before but this is the first time I've seen dogs with it.
~Danielle~
www.dog-care-central.com
Wheels for Weebles

chaosndestruction

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2006, 05:18:10 pm »
oh dear...now you've done it...I won't be able to stop singing "Weebles wobble but they don't fall down" AHHHHHHH!

What a cutie!!!! I"m glad you were able to convince the guy to get momma fixed.

Offline saintbarney

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
    • Dog Care Central
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2006, 09:53:05 am »
I absolutely ADORE this puppy! He is so full of life. You could try telling him he is handicapped but it won't make a difference to him. He thinks he is as normal as any other puppy his age! He tries SO hard to walk and if he falls, he just pops right back up and tries again. He loves to follow me and tries so hard, it just fills my heart with so much joy to watch him. Some people would say "awww poor puppy, that's so sad" but he doesn't want anyone to feel sorry for him!

He will probably need a wheelchair when he is older ($$$!!)but we'll cross that bridge when we get to it. Well actually he could use one now but considering he is a growing puppy it's best to wait til he is full grown.

He and his littermates were diagnosed with what I thought they had, Cerebellar Hypoplasia. It's more common in cats and I've had experience with CH kitties but this is my first experience with a CH dog. I'll try and get more pictures of him today!
~Danielle~
www.dog-care-central.com
Wheels for Weebles

Offline MagicM3

• Paw-meister
  • *Sir William
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2006, 10:34:04 am »
Sounds like weebles found the perfect person for him.
He won't feel sorry for himslef and neither do you.

There is a wise saying that people and animals are here as our teachers,and only they can teach us that special thing we each need to learn.

what kind of pup is he??

Tricia and the fur kids

Offline DixieSugarBear

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2006, 10:44:09 am »
Sounds like Webbles is one lucky pup to be so loved.
Lisa, owned by the following:
Sugar Bear - Great Pyrenees 4.5 yr.
Dixie Darlin - Great Pyrenees 4 yr.
Penny Lane - Great Pyrenees 2.5 yr.
Beauman - Great Pyrenees 14 months
Izzy - Great Pyrenees 14 month
Rosie - Great Pyrenees (at the bridge)

Gypsy Jazmine

« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2006, 10:58:13 am »
Oh he is precious!...I am so glad he got you! :-*

Offline Kermit

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2006, 05:23:30 am »
But on the plus side, me being so nice to him is resulting in the mama getting spayed. I offered to pay for it and he accepted! I'm gonna take her in next week to be fixed.

GREAT JOB!!!!!! :D YAY!!!! That is so awesome that he is willing to have the female spayed. You are a champion for preventing future unwanted litters!!!!!! :D :D :D

And I must say, that little pup is really and truly adorable... what a special little soul he is!!! ;D

Offline saintbarney

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
    • Dog Care Central
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2006, 03:51:56 pm »
Weebles is doing great and gaining weight already! I found a wheelchair company that has made wheelchairs for CH dogs in the past (http://www.eddieswheels.com/html/quad.html)

Someone heard about Weebles and that person donated 2/3 of the cost of the wheelchair! So now we just have to come up with another $250 to be able to afford the wheelchair. I am so excited because now it is so much more obtainable and someday he'll be able to run and play without having to tumble over! Wooo!

I feel that Weebles has something very special to bring this world!
« Last Edit: August 31, 2006, 11:38:42 am by saintbarney »
~Danielle~
www.dog-care-central.com
Wheels for Weebles