Author Topic: Buying a new "large enough" vehicle  (Read 14719 times)

bigdogs@5501

Buying a new "large enough" vehicle
« on: August 27, 2006, 01:55:35 pm »
So I am sure that a lot of you have heard about the 0% financing Ford has just announced? My thoughts are, ok this could be a good opportunity to get a truck that is larger in order to make taking the fur crew with me different places.Right now I have a 2003 Chevrolet Z71 extended cab- truck looks huge- but lacks the interior room for a Great Dane, a Newf cross and at least one to three Pyrenees (depending on the situation) So last nite we decided to go and check out the deals. Unfortunately, I HATE car shopping. I would rather have a root canal. Last nite has not changed that feeling. After doing a bit of research on the internet this morning, I have realized that the jerk sales man has held back on rebate info. We actually walked out of buying a 40,000 truck because of a squabble over 1500.00 that the rebate would have more than covered. I explained to the man that the reason the I need a truck with the large interior is because of Jake, the Great Dane. So now, my evil thoughts are running to the lets go back to the dealership and let Jake check out the different trucks himself, since he is the largest of the crew. My husband wont be able to join me during the week because he is a truck driver and is gone during the week- so if I am going to set forth with the adventure- it would just be Jake and myself. Oh the dilema....

Offline Skippy

• Full Fledged Chewer
  • Lollie
    • View Profile
Re: Buying a new "large enough" vehicle
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2006, 02:13:46 pm »
 :D

Oh go for it. It should be good for a least a chuckle, if not lol.I remember taking Lady many years ago car shopping. She was a Newf. It was so funny to watch the salesman. There was always something between her and him, a desk or person. And you should have seen him back up when we first met him. She was a real marshmallow. About as laid back as she coould be.

Have fun and let us know how you make out.

Skippy
Central New York

bigdogs@5501

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2006, 02:20:32 pm »
Jake is the total protector- I just have to hope that he doesnt try to put the salesman in his place. But you are right- it would be a lot of fun.

Offline Gevaudan_Jo

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2006, 02:31:44 pm »
UGH, i hate car shopping too. and we're currently shopping around! we cant afford brand new, unfortunately, but we cant seem to find something large enough within our price limits... lol
Good luck on ur decisions
Jo
Jodi & Darcy
Proud Parents of
Zero-Bull Terrier
Jigsaw-Bull Terrier
Repo- Jigsaw's baby Bull Terrier
Reba-Chinese Crested
Pavi-Xolo
Simba,Sabbath,Kimahri, Lil' Meow & Slimon-Cats
Robin the hermit crab and the 8 legged freak, Webley!
~ waiting at the bridge, Zeus and Memphis, great danes ~

Offline MagicM3

• Paw-meister
  • *Sir William
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2006, 08:21:41 pm »
Good wishes from us as well,buying a new car can be a journey in itself.We have a 73"VW bus that we are,or I should say have been trying to sell,but now that we have the three I am reconsidering. Without the middle seat it has lots and lots of room,and we have that all carpeted.We even have an evap cooler on the roof so here in Az we stay pretty cool.

Good luck finding one big enough.

Tricia and the fur kids

Offline Miranda

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2006, 05:38:12 am »
We're looking at a Pontiac Vibe. It doesn't look very big, but it's actually got a ton of interior room, especially the back :) Plus, you can't beat the 38 mpg!
If you think dogs can't count, try putting three dog biscuits in your pocket and then giving Fido only two of them.  ~Phil Pastoret

Offline Bella's mom

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2006, 06:43:11 am »
Has anyone checked out the new Toyota FJ?  I really like the sportiness of it, but I've heard the interior is really small. ???
Tessie - Belladonna's and Mojo's Mom

Offline krismark

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
    • My babies!
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2006, 06:47:59 am »
I want the Honda Element to haul my dogs around. With the back seats out they would have plenty of room, plus it's not carpeted...whi ch is a major selling point for me.  :)

Offline Miranda

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2006, 06:50:18 am »
Yeah, the back part of the Vibe isn't carpeted. I talked to a lady at the dog park who owned one and she just couldn't stop raving about it. She said it was so great to go to the lake with their two huge dogs and then just open the hatchback and the dogs would jump in and she wouldn't have to worry at all.
If you think dogs can't count, try putting three dog biscuits in your pocket and then giving Fido only two of them.  ~Phil Pastoret

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2006, 07:17:13 am »
We bought an awesomley large car this past spring- the Trailblazer EXT. Not only does it fit Bear with lots of room to spare but it can fit multiple Newfs (3-4) with no problem. It has AC vents in the back seat too. If you want to take a look at some pics of it check out the thread BPO Car Pics where the first few are of our car with Bear.  ;D
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

Offline Magnus

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2006, 07:18:31 am »
Has anyone checked out the new Toyota FJ?  I really like the sportiness of it, but I've heard the interior is really small. ???

We're actualy looking at the FJ and the back is actually pretty roomy. The rear seats are 40/60 which adds to the room.  My next teat drive is with the dogs. I'll let you know how it went.
StanLee- American Mastiff
Julie- Rottie
Steve- Pug/Jack Russel
Neeko- My old rottie friend waiting at the bridge

bigdogs@5501

« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2006, 11:25:59 am »
Well we are still in the hunt and I am about tired of the hunt. We were wanting to take advantage of the Ford 0% interest because we could afford a LOT more truck if I am not paying interest. I am really wanting a King Ranch truck ( not sure if that is available anywhere other than Texas) It has enough room in the back seat for both of the pyr puppies, Jake and the Newf mix. It is a luxury truck though and all leather, so we would have to put blankies down if it is raining. Now my daughter has a Honda Element and it is an absolutely wonderful dog car, but we have to have a big 4x4 truck because of the trailers that we have and the 101 things that I have to buy for the property in order to eventually make this a civilized place. Hoever my every day driver is a Mazda single cab truck and Jake and I have gone for many rides together in that little bitty truck. I am now again awaiting a return phone call from a salesman. UGH

Offline LittleGrace

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2006, 12:03:35 pm »
I have a toyota four runner which held Grace's large crate, Zoe's crate both dogs and gear inside for a weekend trip.  I love it.  I have a leather interior but I bought a sling thing so that the dogs could ride in the back seat.  It is great because they don't slide off the seat and they can't scratch my doors or seats.

I was looking at the FJ Cruiser when I was getting service on my 4runner and I like it alot, the only thing that would deter me is that you can't open the rear doors without opening the front ones.

We also have a Ford Crew Cab Super Duty pickup we got it last year for my husband. With a screaming deal-- $700 over invoice, 72 month low interest (they didn't have the 0% at the time), and I put the down on the credit card to get airmiles.  I hate car buying but I did all the negotiations and after we bought the salesman told my husband he was scared of me.  We did get the cloth interior and have a seat cover for the dogs on the rear seat.  We are also looking at getting one of the seat extenders to make the seat flat where your legs normally go for the dogs.  With the diesel we are getting 17-24mpg... not bad for a truck. We also bought the extended warranty that includes all the maitence for 36,000 miles, that is a great deal.

bigdogs@5501

« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2006, 12:08:10 pm »
I will probably be at the Ford dealer again tomorrow nite ( And will be looking for a RX for Valium soon after) Since my husband is a truck driver, he is only home on weekends so in the past 16 mos I have only put 13k miles on the Z71 that I have now. I have always wanted the King Ranch truck. It has to be a Texas thing. My limit is 40k and not a penny more- (preferably less). If I do manage to pull this off I will probably be asking you guys where to get the sling.

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2006, 04:51:10 am »
I took Cowboy with me car shopping since he can't jump in to the back of a car....he has to be lifted.  The look on the salesman's face when I brought my boy out of the back of my little station wagon and said that I needed to fit TWO of these in whatever car they had.  It was priceless!!

There's just nothing like taking a dog car shopping with you!! ;D ;D