Author Topic: THIS IS A GROUP THAT DOES SOME GOOD.......  (Read 3886 times)

Offline mastiffmommy

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
THIS IS A GROUP THAT DOES SOME GOOD.......
« on: June 17, 2005, 02:16:46 pm »
http://www.pet-abuse.com

This group is, working in a little different way. They try to be on top of animal cruelty cases, and when needed, have their memebers write to DA's or judges, letters, faxes or emails, in a polite manner, to make the animlas rights heard. They have in the past made a difference in quite a few cases where the most horrible cruelty cases were going to be prosecuted as misdemeanor, rather than fellony, but after a lot of pressure from houndreds sometimes thousands or people writing a polite logical letter lobbying for the animals rights, were changed to fellony.

Unfortunately it is cases where the horrible has already happened  :'( But, at least the people who did it will be prosecuted to the most the law allows and hopefully the lawmakers sooner rather than later will realize the need for a change in laws. And the connection between animal abuse and spousal and child abuse.

Since we were talking about animals rights in anohter thread I thought Id post this again, so the ones that feel like signing up for the action and/or news letters from this group can.

Marit
what the lion is to a cat, the mastiff is to a dog

Offline stryder

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
Re: THIS IS A GROUP THAT DOES SOME GOOD.......
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2005, 07:35:00 pm »
Thanks Marit, my wife and I are both heavily involoved in the local Huamne Society as volunteers and this is a step in the right direction.
THoM
Spay before the first heat NOT after the first litter.
Neuter before he runs away.

Offline mastiffmommy

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2005, 08:56:45 pm »
Stryer, I like the way they work, I work in different rescue too, but I also try and write letters when they send out action letters. Good for you and your wife that you work for the local Hum. Soc. Here in Charlotte we have only a small Hum. Soc. shelter and there is always a long waiting list for dogs that want (or rather the owners) to get in there to get adopted. Here they only take in "owned" dogs and cats, but if you find one or rescue one, and dont belong to a rescue, you can take it to the vet. give it the vaccinations and then it is concidered an owned pet and it can be turned over to the Hum. Soc. I wish their shelter here were bigger, especially since the other ones we have, have a very limited space too and the dogs dont get a very long time before they end up in the gas chambre.

Marit
what the lion is to a cat, the mastiff is to a dog

GYPSY JAZMINE

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2005, 11:41:16 pm »
That's sad about the Humane Society there Marit...Our is wonderful!...A 96 percent adoption rate & they keep adptable animals close to forever...My evil bunny Jack had been ther for 4 months before they started to think he wasn't going to get a home...Of coarse they let me get wind of this...Welcome to the world of evil bunnies & I have the scars to prove it too!...It just took a snip in a strategic location & alot of patience to turn him into a good bunny!..Well, as good as he'll ever get at least & we are o.k. with that! :)

dohertyswissy

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2005, 07:56:13 am »
Marit - Thanks for this link.  While it is extremely heartbreaking, it has the ability to keep our minds fresh and focused on what animal lovers can do to help. 

Offline moonlitcroatia

• BPO Guru
  • Betti Boo March 2008
    • View Profile
    • Greta's Page
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2005, 07:07:53 pm »
http://www.pet-abuse.com

This group is, working in a little different way. They try to be on top of animal cruelty cases, and when needed, have their memebers write to DA's or judges, letters, faxes or emails, in a polite manner, to make the animlas rights heard. They have in the past made a difference in quite a few cases where the most horrible cruelty cases were going to be prosecuted as misdemeanor, rather than fellony, but after a lot of pressure from houndreds sometimes thousands or people writing a polite logical letter lobbying for the animals rights, were changed to fellony.

Unfortunately it is cases where the horrible has already happened  :'( But, at least the people who did it will be prosecuted to the most the law allows and hopefully the lawmakers sooner rather than later will realize the need for a change in laws. And the connection between animal abuse and spousal and child abuse.

Since we were talking about animals rights in anohter thread I thought Id post this again, so the ones that feel like signing up for the action and/or news letters from this group can.

Marit

Marit,

Thank you for posting this.  It is a sad world, but there are wonderful people out there, like you, and everyone else on BPO who loves and cares for the pets the same way they do their human family.

I definitely support the change in laws and believe there is a connection between spousal/child abuse and animal cruelty.  I honestly cannot stand ignorant people who take their aggression out on helpless beings.  These are the worst kind of people - rapists, pedophiles, child sex ring organizations, and, unfortunately, these people can also be the church-going folks next door.

Thank you for the link as well.

I think dogs are the most amazing creatures; they give unconditional love.  For me they are the role model for being alive.  ~Gilda Radner