Author Topic: Playing devils advocate, the so called 'unadoptable'  (Read 7394 times)

GR8DAME

Re: Playing devils advocate, the so called 'unadoptable'
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2006, 03:13:00 pm »
Stella  ((((((((((((HUGS)))))))))))))
Your post was the answer to my post, my heart and my mind.
Thank you for that WONDERFUL post.  :)

Everyone else, thank you so much for stating your views
and opinions in a very mature manor.
No one got uptight, no one got offended (that I know of) and
no one got nasty.

Hmmmmmmm BPO's seems to be a really cool message board.
Kudos to all of you for handling yourselves in such a respectful and mature manor. ;)

Thanks MSF. And a belated welcome to the board.
I think you will find that there is a great group of people here, and this is the general reaction to almost all of the posts. Hope to learn more about you in the future.
Stella

Offline saintbarney

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
    • Dog Care Central
« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2006, 01:46:13 pm »
I am the one with the wobbly pup, Weebles so I thought I would give my 2 cents.

First off, I see what you are saying. I am passionate about spay/neuter and educating people about s/n and I know that the reason millions of animals die in shelters is because people don't spay/neuter. I've paid for many animals to be fixed, I work at a s/n clinic, and serve on the board for the shelter so I can definitely see where you are coming from.

With that said, Weebles is absolutely worth helping (and most people who meet him would agree). I see no reason to euthanize a perfectly happy puppy who brings so much joy to our lives. It's difficult to draw the line when you are emotionally invested in an animal. Looking in as outsider, it's probably easier to look at the big picture.

But I feel that our situation is a bit different. The shelter is not spending a lot of money on this puppy. The shelter could not afford to spend a lot of money on this puppy. We are able to afford a wheelchair for him because someone heard his story and donated the money FOR him. She never would have donated to the shelter...she isn't in Iowa, she's in NYC and never heard of our shelter until she heard about Weebles. Weebles' story touched her heart and that is why she donated. So to this person his life is worth it...and that is how she chose to spend her money, bless her heart! This donation might not make a huge difference in the big scheme of things, but it'll make a huge difference to Weebles and the people that love him. It's similar to the starfish story I guess.

If a shelter, rescue group, or even an individual chooses to spend a lot of funds or resources to help one animal then I think that is up to them where to draw the line. Everyone has different priorities when it comes to causes they believe in.

I love the story that was posted about the handicapped puppy!
« Last Edit: August 31, 2006, 01:58:48 pm by saintbarney »
~Danielle~
www.dog-care-central.com
Wheels for Weebles

My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am. ~Author Unknown

Offline Bella's mom

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2006, 05:49:23 pm »
I am the one with the wobbly pup, Weebles so I thought I would give my 2 cents.

I agree, the idea is to promote spaying and neutering, but when a little one in need already exists, it's wonderful to see someone who can help step up and take on that responsibility .  If we don't have kind hearts and compassion for another living being, what kind of humans are we?  If our race is only left with the humans that do harm and have no empathy toward others, we might as well just nuke ourselves now! :D
Tessie - Belladonna's and Mojo's Mom