Author Topic: help- enlarged lymph node!  (Read 8218 times)

Offline Kermit

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
help- enlarged lymph node!
« on: June 17, 2005, 07:49:47 pm »
I was petting my 3 1/2 month old puppy today and noticed what seemed to be a lump in the back of his hind leg. It occured to me that it might be a lymph node, so I did some research and found that there is a lymph node on the back of the "knee" called the popliteal lymph node. On my pup, it is pretty big, like the size of a grape I'd say. Significantly larger than the one on the other leg. Does anyone know what could cause this? All I have been able to find on the internet is that it could be due to an infection in the hind leg. But my pup has no visible injuries and he's feeling great and looks great. I am worried, I don't know how easy it will be to get an appointment with a vet this weekend... any suggestions from anyone???

Offline mastiffmommy

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
Re: help- enlarged lymph node!
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2005, 09:55:53 pm »
Hi Doghealer, It sounds a bit scary, I so understand you gotta be worried. Where exactly is the lump??? And have you any idea how fast it came up??

Also to begin with, when you feel it, is it hard, or soft, does it feel like it is fixed or movable. Does it feel like it is "soft tissue" or a growth from the bone, or are you pretty sure it is the lymph node???

Depending on where it is and all the other factors. Since he is such a young puppy and in I can imagine a speedy growth right now, it could be a "growing knot" but they usually dont appear on the back of the hind legs. I am not sure I can help at all, but if you can tell more about it, and where it is located maybe we can put our heads together and brainstorm a bit. But it would probably only be over the weekend anyway, from what you said in the other post, I would absolutely make an app. at his vet. so they can check it out, if it is a node, it can be a sign of an infection, need not be an injury, can be internal or somewhere else in/on the body.

I really hope things are okay, I dont mean to scare you, but better one visit too many than the other way. He is so young though, so most likely it is some kind of inflamation, and something that can be fixed rather easily.

Please let us know how he is doing and if you feel anything different

Marit
what the lion is to a cat, the mastiff is to a dog

Offline Kermit

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2005, 10:41:24 pm »
Well, not to be too disgusting, but to describe the lump, I'd have to say it is pretty soft and squishy, I don't want to squeeze it too hard or anything, but it moves around pretty easily. And the weirdest thing is that there's one in the same place on his other hind leg which is what made me think it could be the lymph node. But the other one is much much smaller and hardly noticable. I just noticed this whole business for the first time today, and it was really pure chance since his fur was wet right there I happened to stroke down the back of his leg. I think the equivalent spot on a human would be the very back of the knee. It seemes like soft tissue, not attached to any bone or anything.
Maybe I should take his temp and find out if he's running a fever, which I think is another sign of infection. I can't believe I didn't think of that earlier. I guess since he seems so healthy (and hyper I might add) it makes it hard to imagine that he could be sick.
Thanks for your help and concern. I'll update as soon as I know more.
 :(

Offline Kermit

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2005, 01:28:36 pm »
Well, I think I figured out my own problem, but for future reference, here's what I learned: lymph nodes will swell when there is a wound or injury and the body is fighting off an infection. I figured out that the lymph node on my pup's hind leg was swollen because he got one of his toenails (from that same hind leg) caught up on something a week or so ago and was bleeding. Right between pad and nail was torn, and darn near impossible to keep clean, so he must have gotten something in the wound that got it infected. It looks like his little immune system is working things out and the lymph from that area is draining. It all makes sense now and I am no longer afraid that my dog has a tumor. (Whew). I'm going to find out if he needs any antibiotics or anything just to be safe.
 :)

Offline mastiffmommy

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2005, 11:53:05 pm »
I am glad you feel all better about it. When you said it was soft and squishy and not fixed I felt kinda confident that it was not a tumor. And yes, you can have a reaction in the lymph nodes in all kinds of places, not only the ones closest to the affected area. You did great research and like you said, most likely what will happen is that the vet now will help his system along with an antibiotics, probably amoxacillin. Let us know how it goes, and again I can almost feel how relieved you are now  :D

give him huggs and slobbers

Marit
what the lion is to a cat, the mastiff is to a dog