Author Topic: Tell me about your Newfie?  (Read 6811 times)

Offline MSF

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
Tell me about your Newfie?
« on: August 29, 2006, 01:31:45 pm »
Hello all, I have a female pit and a male dane.
I have always wanted either a Newfie or a Saint.
Our home and our hearts are big enough for 3 so in the future I'd like to consider a Newfie or a Saint.
May be next week, 6 months or 2 years from now. Who knows ;D

I'm researching the breed, please tell me all about your Newfie's please.

Offline horsepoor21

• BPO Fanatic
    • View Profile
Re: Tell me about your Newfie?
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2006, 01:45:32 pm »
My Allie girl is stubborn , clumsy , destructive and mischevious ( she actually tore part of our laundry room door down to go into our basement , tore down another door and had fun setting free 10 sugar gliders !  ::) ) .
BUT , she's incredibly loving , wonderful with my small children ( well , except for knocking them over on occasion) , devoted and loyal to our family , and obsessed with water as most newfies are  ;D She's my first purebred newfie ( I also have a newfie mix) and I can honestly say I will *always* have a newfie in our family ! There's just too much good , it wipes out any "bad"  ;D
-Amy
Moose-Border Collie/Newfoundland rescue
Allie-Newfoundland
Spook-Newfoundland
Whiskey-Arabian
Wolverine-Cockatiel
Polly&Rainbow-Lovebirds (with 3 babies!)
Crush-Painted Turtle

"Every boy should have two things:
 A dog, and a mother willing to let him have one"

Offline Winslow 151

• Paw-meister
  • Winslow at 6 Months
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2006, 02:14:24 am »
Hi,

Winslow is truly an ambassador of the Giants!!! He is the most relaxed and gentle giant I have ever seen. He is awesome with the handicapped, small children and other animals, rarely barks, and is loyal to his family and friends.

I was not a "pet person" before Winslow and now he is my dog and all the neghbors and strangers run to greet him and he loves the attention.

GET A Newfie!! you won't be disappointed.

Rich
Happy Tails to All
Winslow's Dad

Offline ozzysma

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2006, 06:33:57 am »
ozzy is 20 months old.  he is the sweetest most caring dog i have every had.  he is funny, sloppy, devoted , loving, and playful.  he could probably be less stubborn but i cant picture live without him now.  he has taken over our family, and become my best friend. he is alot of work brushing and cleaning up after him, but just looking in his soulful eyes i know its so worth the hair on the floor and drool on everything.  patti

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2006, 09:58:45 am »
I have two Newfs at the moment (one is on my lap ::) ::) ::)) and I'll never, ever be without one ever again!  They really are your best pal.  They go with me everywhere, they love to cuddle, snuggle, play and whatever the program is for the day is JUST what they feel like doing.  My 3 year old, Cowboy is a Therapy Dog and is just amazing with very frail old people.  He just places his big ole head in a lap and you can see the smiles just bubble up!  Chester, the pup (a year and a half) is full, brimming full of life (he's the one in my lap!!).  He has energy enough for any activity, glad to meet the world and a joy to live with.

The only drawback is finding a healthy one.  THAT'S  the toughest thing about the breed!!

Offline Newf Lover

• BPO Fanatic
  • Cool dog + Cold beer = Chilled Out
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ryanbrumley.com
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2006, 11:56:59 am »
Owning a Newf is a big task and is not for eveyone.  They require a lot of love and attention and a TON OF GROOMING!!Drake is an amazing dog and a great Newf, he has learned tricks and obedience fairly easily, is quiet and well behaved, is fun and loving, but he is a big responsibility for us.  Since my wife and I both work, he is home alone all day, but when we get home, he has all of our attention.  He gets very depressed when he isn't with us, as most Newfs do, so we make sure he is never left alone for too long.  Here are some things to think about if you're considering a Newf:

- they require a lot of brushing and cleaning up as their hair is long and thick.  They are prone to hotspots so if they are not washed or brushed regularly, you can count on them getting one.  They also tend to stink if you let them go too long without brushing or washing.  We brush Drake every day, wash him regularly and clip his hair short every 3 months to combat this and the shedding.

- many Newfs have health issues.  Not that we are anything special, but our vet constantly remarks on how lucky we are that Drake is so healthy.  Many Newfs that he sees are a mess.  This means that you really have to research your breeder and see what kind of dogs they breed and what certifications or licenses they have.  A quality Newf pup can cost anywhere from $1200 to $2000 US, so make sure you are getting one whose hips and heart have been cleared. A cheap Newf pup can become an expensive and unhealthy adult Newf.  Don't buy a Newf from the Newspaper, they invariably are backyard breeders.  Newf rescue groups are good to look into as well, you can get a good dog for very little money sometimes.

- Newfs need attention and you already have two dogs so this might be an issue for you.  They aren't the type of dog that entertains themselves.  Unless you have lots of free time for all 3 dogs, you may be getting into a sad situation for your Newf.  Newfs have been known to self mutilate themselves due to loneliness or lack of attention.

- NEWFS DROOL & SHED.  There's no getting around it, if you are a neat freak, this is definitely not the dog for you.  They like to shake their heads, especially inside, and drool goes everywhere.  And the hair, where do I begin, they shed a lot!  And to get them groomed, it can cost anywhere from $60 to $100 US, unless you buy some clippers and learn how to do it yourself.  Drake has so much hair, I made a hat out of it.  In case you didn't see I posted pictures at this link (yes, I'm weird):
http://www.bigpawsonly.com/index.php/topic,11695.msg146659.html#msg146659

- many Newfs require a special diet or high end kibble because they tend to have irritable stomachs.  This will require you to spend a little more money than you are used to for dog food.

I don't mean to dwell on what seems to be the negative or downside aspects of Newf ownership, I just want you to understand what you would be getting yourself into.  These dogs are so cute and cuddly and everyone wants one, but they aren't for everybody.  I hope you really do your homework before you get a Newf, there are many other things, aside from what I listed, to consider before you get one.  Please only get one if you really can take care of them and handle their issues, they are very special dogs.  :)
« Last Edit: August 31, 2006, 06:09:14 am by Newf Lover »
My Newfoundland Lives My Life As Passionately As I Live His.

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2006, 12:28:08 pm »
Well said, Ryan, and much more relevant that my post.  Too much gushing can give the wrong impression about the breed.  They are a TON of work but they give back a TON and a half in love.  Just realize that your house will never, ever look the same unless it's already coated in drool and fur!!! ;D ;D ;D

Listen to Newf Lover, not me!  He's right and rational!!! ;)

Offline Newf Lover

• BPO Fanatic
  • Cool dog + Cold beer = Chilled Out
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ryanbrumley.com
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2006, 06:32:57 am »
Well said, Ryan, and much more relevant that my post.  Too much gushing can give the wrong impression about the breed.  They are a TON of work but they give back a TON and a half in love.  Just realize that your house will never, ever look the same unless it's already coated in drool and fur!!! ;D ;D ;D

Listen to Newf Lover, not me!  He's right and rational!!! ;)

Thanks, I did forget to mention that he's our irrisistable cuddle bug too.  My wife constantly gets down on the floor, looks Drake in the face and says, "You're too goddamn CUTE!!!" and then she kisses his long, floppy lips.  He's such a blessing to us, but I always like to inform people that there's much more to Newfs than their irrisistable cuteness.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2006, 06:33:55 am by Newf Lover »
My Newfoundland Lives My Life As Passionately As I Live His.

Offline ptkennel

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
    • Prairie Trail Kennel
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2006, 07:28:53 am »
Our newfie is 5 1/2 months old and is a female.  Her name is Joy.  Seadreamer Joybringer is her registered name.
  We haven't ever had this breed of dog before. We have always raised rottis. 
We figured time for a change, we had rottis for 15 years, and they are great dogs, we even still have one he is 19 months.
We looked into getting a newf or a dane.  My preference was a dane but my husband wanted a newf and since I picked out the rotti he got to get his way and get his newf.
Long story short, we got Joy.  The joy of our lives.  She was a bit hard to get used to at first, lots of hair, drool and nipping at us.  We thought that she would never grow out of the nipping and play biting (some not so playful bites happened), we perservered and trained her to not bite by giving her something to play with and eat.  Food is her fav. so training with reward such as food worked for us.
She is very smart, training has been relatively easy.  She didn't like to be walked on a leash, but is getting used to it, with food she does anything.
We love her attitude, her hair, crazy hair, used to the drool, and everyone asks us what she is.  I so want to say, shes a dog, just to be silly, but i guess that would be rude.
I have started obedience classes with her and she is a little hard to handle, i have to get her a different collar, i am using a half choke and it isn't working.
My coach suggested a prong collar, what opinions does anyone have on this idea?
Well I wouldn't get any other dog for our family, we have three kids, 12, 7 and 4 3/4.  They love our newf and have lots of input with her.  They are not always supervised with her but I have yet to have had any problems.  They know when she wants to play, when she is aggressive she gets put in her kennel to mellow out.  It works.
Well sorry for the long post.  ;)
Joy, Newfoundland
Gabi, Newfoundland
Amy, Irish Wolfhound
Sara, Irish Wolfhound
Gintaro, Irish Wolfhound (from Poland)
Desa, our Borzoi
4 Irish Wolfhound puppies, Saturn, Gemini, Delta and Mercury
www.prairietra ilkennel.com

Offline ReneeB

• Full Fledged Chewer
  • Kryssie is here
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2006, 12:02:41 pm »
I was raised with German Shepard (imports).  Before Brayden I always thought that Shepards were the smartest dogs.  Since Bray came to live with us I have a different opinion.  I will always have at least one Newfie in my home.  He is very loyal and watchful, he does not get involved in the neighborhood "bark fests" and quietly watches when someone comes to our door.  He loves his little wading pool and is the "KING" of he bean bag chair, he is more that happy to share either with the kids as long as there is room for him.  Otherwise beware...he will sit on you ;D
He loves going to stores, I am training him to be my service dog.  He knows to sit when someone is saying hello to him and if a small child wants to pet him he lays down without being asked, this is less intimidating to the little ones.  He is great with everyone and seems to know how to approach different people as not to scare them
 He is a very quick learner and loves to please. 
He sleeps in the bedroom with me and my husband on my side of the bed, but if my husband is not home he sleeps just inside of the door of the bedroom.  We have two cats who are his best friends, they all play together and share the same water dish.
The down side of the breed include shedding, and drool... Brays favorite game is to get a drink and keep a mouth-full of water to 'share' it (surprise attack you) with you especially if you are wearing shorts...he walks by and leaves a mixture of water and slobber running down the back of your legs.  One also needs to realize the size of a Newf. puts him at the perfect level to 'goose' you in the rear with his nose.
Giant breeds also have health issues with hips and elbows and knees.  There is really no way to know for sure that your puppy will not fall victim to one of these issues.  There are also heart and skin problems to consider.
I Love my boy with all my heart.  He is a GIANT teddy bear who loves to give love as much as he loves to be loved. 
Renee, (will always love and miss Brayden)

Offline CrazyLoveRosie

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2006, 01:40:42 pm »
We have one 3.5 year-old Newfie, Rosie. What the others have said is already great input as to the general care and tendencies of the breed. Since we got Rosie as an adult, she was already well past her more highly energetic adolescent days. So if left to her devices, Rosie prefers to take long afternoon naps, receive nice long belly and chin rubs, nibble on her bone, and receive our 100% attention and loving. She is so faithful and stuck to us at the hip, she just aims to please.

Some important things we keep in mind are brushing her nearly daily, giving her daily vitamins (like vitamin C, fish oil, glucosamine/chondroitin), frequent bathing, and frequent ear cleaning. We also feed her premium dog food.

Again, it's also so very important to research breeders. Like it was mentioned before, puppies from certified, healthy parents will cost nearly $2000. It's pricey, but a reputable, responsible breeder looks out for the betterment of the breed and would never breed a dog known to have heart or hip/elbow problems.
Rosie - Newfoundland

Offline pitas

• Paw-meister
  • Mom! Let us out, please!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2006, 02:19:24 pm »
We own 3 Newfies, Madison & Klondike are 3 1/2 yr old siblings & Kelso pup just turned 2.  He is a 1/2 brother, same Mom, different Dad.  I will agree with many of the previous posters, they are a large, loving breed, that might not be for everyone.  Our pups, like most Newfies are truly gentle giants and great ambassadors to their breed. Our guys love attention, ( I too have one laying on me as I type! I think my legs are numb from 125 lb. Maddie girl resting comfortably on me!)  They want to be with you pretty much night & day,24/7.  Most dogs do, especially if you treat them with lots of TLC.  We had goldens before our Newfies & have grown up with dogs all our lives.  The opportunity came along for our first Newfie purchase through our vet.  He had a dear friend who just had their first litter of Newfies & he knew that my sister always wanted a Newf.  We contacted the breeder who didn't live far from us and set up a meet.  For me, like all pups, you can't just look!  At the time we still had our golden, 11yrs. at the time & our 12 yr. old Lhasa.  At first we thought we were getting just one, well about 2 weeks after they were born, nobody had signed up to purchase that smallest pup of the litter!  Well that's all I needed to hear!  We took home 2 wonderful pups at 9 weeks old.  2 yrs. later we got Kelso pup from our same breeder. 

Our pups are wonderful for most people. 
Our pups are loving, gentle, protective when needed.
Our pups shed, they drool, they need lots of grooming.
Our pups are fantastic with children and people.
Our pups are fantastic swimmers.
No, they are not big eaters.  (Our 3 Goldens were bigger chow hounds.)
Our pups just want to be with their people, pretty much 24/7.
It doesn't matter where you are in the house, they are with you.

People that know us and come for visits, know that we have dogs, let alone 3 Newfies.  Most of the people that come love them. (Love us, love our dogs.)  There has been on occassion, a few people that have visited, that don't like dogs!  (The nerve!)  There have been a few that scream at the drool hanging down after a big drink of water on a hot day! (I mean on the dogs! LOL)  Those people aren't invited back.  They usually don't want to come anyway. 

We will always have Newfies.  I wouldn't change a thing about them.  We love them to pieces. 

Anita & the 3 Newfies from NJ

Offline kenthunder2

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2006, 11:36:31 pm »
Hi Anita,
I see you have 3 Newfies. We just lost Thunder and are considering another one in the future. We got Thunder from a great breeder. He had all the health checks... all clear with no problems. We just had to put him down due to bone cancer. We looked into breeders for over a year before choosing one. Thought we had all the bases covered healthwise, only to find out Thunders father died of cancer, as did his brother also. I don't think the breeder is at fault. She did everything by the book and still had problems.
I know we can't post breeders names, but wonder if you can tell me a little about your breeder, where they are located, if you are happy with them etc.
Thanks for your input.
Kent

Offline Fumble

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2006, 11:51:44 pm »
well... first and foremost i have to completely agree with DRAKES DADDY!  i think research is key before getting a  newf!  I am a recent college grad and i knew fully well what i was getting into! lots and lots of responsability, between grooming, vet visits, training, EVERYTHING! and even still i have to say i'm still suprised by some of the things that pop up! lol! just make sure you understand it all before making such a big addition to your life, literally and figuratively speaking... hehe!

well with that said i'll tell you about fumble, the fumbs... i'm a basic newfie mom who can talk for days about her dog!  if you do get a newf you will soon realize that you are obsessed with your dog!  other's will see it and wonder why you are.. but you will understand! it's not an obssession either, it's a complete and utter lovE!  (this i think holds true for most large breed dogs, i've alwyas had small dogs growing up, and believe me i loved them, but with fumble it's kinda like he's a human being he's so big.. it's like loving a child!)  well back to the big oaf!

he's a big boy, only weighing in at 150 right now and just 15 months last friday. he looks SOOO much bigger though!  and believe me it's HARD to remember that he's still a puppy when he gets mouthy and stuff.. it's like why is he biting, and then you remember that he's still very much a puppy!  he's the biggest love though!!  loves to talk and talk! can bark till he's blue in the face! lol!  he's obssessed with my twin sister, i think he thinks she's a sister of his... kills her with kisses.. it's funny though he never really kisses me... but is my eternal shadow, follows me EVERYWHERe. and if he can't see me he freaks out! when he does kiss me it's kisses on the ears with little nibbles on the earlobes!  i think he's read too many romance novels!  hehe! he's super cuddly, and likes to think he's 10 lbs and sits in my lap... wants to be pet constantly.. takes pride in his walks ,taking the leash in his mouth and walking himself, trotting with tail out all the while.. they are EXTREMEMLY smart! even though they sometimes play dumb! we have had to put baby locks on our lower cabinets cause fumble knows how to open the door to the trash now.. he also knows how to jump on the toilet and open the cabinet where we keep the toilet paper... what else?? oh did i say that they're love bugs! he loves attention!  and you'll get it with a newf! we even went to wendys last night and through the drive thru everyone in the kitchen was coming and looking through the window!  lol!! we call fumble mr. cape cod! 

and i'd have to agree with everything everyone has said above me... i think all newfies are born with the same traits, they just make them their own! :)
GOOD LUCK!! :)
"My newfoundlands live my life as passionately as i live theirs"
"I slip the hater of what i've become.  they slip the halter of what they've been, and we live together, passionately, changed"
-Both from "in the company of newfies"

WE REPRESENT THE LOLLIPOP GUILD!!!