Author Topic: Cesar Millan  (Read 12735 times)

Offline Miranda

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
Re: Cesar Millan
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2006, 07:44:43 am »
Ugh I get so mad at people here. Laika is VERY head-strong, and like I've said before, VERY hard to deal with on the leash. A lot of times, the only way to get her attention is to "take her down" (make her lay down). Neither Justin or I would EVER hurt her, we know how to take her down gently, but it's one of those things where we have to do SOMETHING or else she'd be dragging us clear down the road. But the neighbors here think we're horrible abusive owners. I just want to point out to them that she's only half-grown now, and if this behavior continues, we're going to have some problems...and we're not hurting her!!! Argh!! I keep waiting for the SPCA to knock on my door and say they've had a complaint...th en I'll invite them in and show them what spoiled dogs I have...
If you think dogs can't count, try putting three dog biscuits in your pocket and then giving Fido only two of them.  ~Phil Pastoret

Offline lshelley21

• Big Paw Certified
  • Jazmine 7 months old
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2006, 07:55:13 am »
if people do this with there pets... i can't imagine what there kids turn out to be......I have never hurt/hit jaz, it is pointless...sh e has no idea about anything..she would just shake it off and go on in life.
The method of walking on the treadmill that ceasar uses is the best idea yet. I can go for a walk with jaz...but it is bad for the joints..where using the tread mill she can go faster and have less impact on her joints. I can't wait to get a treadmill... lol ... not for me though.. just the dog...lol
Lauren, Jazmine (great dane)
Jazmine's pets:
Calvin (ferret)
Willy (ferret)
Samantha (ferret)
Baxter (ferret)
Ferrets friends:
Shirly and baldamore (geckos)
Gecko's friend:
Big D (fish)

Oh yeah.. my pet.. Matt (hubby)
Our pets are all above

Offline Moni

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2006, 08:07:39 am »
I guess I'm gonna be a bit against the grain.   :-\  From what I've seen and heard of Cesar Millan, personally I'm not as impressed as everyone else seems to be.  My basis for dog training is learn everything and use and apply what works for that particular dog. That and my personal dog/kid training mantra "Interrupt, Redirect & Praise".  So if he's working for people, I think that's good.  Much better that people are attempting to control their dogs nowadays.  As far as my thoughts on his methods, well I agree with a close friend that says, "He's a good salesman."   ;)

I just don't like how he is getting idolized and being quoted as the be and end all of dogtraining everywhere I turn.  I personally think there are many trainers out there who are much better than he is, he's just one of the most publicised at the moment.  Eh, bien.  Money talks.

Sorry, jmho.  :)
~moni
BPO does not have my permission to use my photos.

Offline lshelley21

• Big Paw Certified
  • Jazmine 7 months old
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2006, 08:16:21 am »
no i agree with you as well... like i said before some of his methods need to be improved on...the only thing i like is the walk...and that is it...
Lauren, Jazmine (great dane)
Jazmine's pets:
Calvin (ferret)
Willy (ferret)
Samantha (ferret)
Baxter (ferret)
Ferrets friends:
Shirly and baldamore (geckos)
Gecko's friend:
Big D (fish)

Oh yeah.. my pet.. Matt (hubby)
Our pets are all above

Offline Kermit

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2006, 08:49:35 am »
I agree that he is popular, anyone would be if they had an entertaining tv show... but... I have never heard of anyone "idolizing" him or calling him the "be-all-end-all" of dog trainers. I have actually read a really bad review of his book, and I have probably noticed more negative publicity on him than positive.

I think the big picture is important with someone like Cesar Millan. He is giving people hope who were formerly ready to give up on their dog. And his most basic advice-- take your dog on long walks daily!!! There are a lot of people who needed to hear that, and I am betting that because of him, there are dogs in this country who are becoming more balanced and being exercised more because of folks being inspired by his show.

These people might not have consulted a dog trainer on their own, or bought a dog training book, or found out about Turid Rugaas or Ian Dunbar or Jean Donaldson. But these people WILL watch tv. And now their mind is on dog training, because they can relate to the people on the show. Honestly I'm just glad that dog training is becoming popular!!! There are trainers I like better than Cesar, sure, but they don't have a show that comes on 8 times a week to inspire me!!!! ;)

(edited for spelling)
« Last Edit: August 31, 2006, 08:51:00 am by doghealer »

Offline NoDogNow

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2006, 08:57:36 am »
If you listen to his tagline, Cesar DOESN'T train dogs.

He trains PEOPLE.

The writer of the NYT article has an enormous Manhattan cockroach up his fundment--probably because he's misapplying the techniques he's tried to learn from watching the show. (I'd bet REAL MONEY on that.) He's also probably a trainer who's losing his own real money because people are being successful working with their dogs using Cesar's techniques!

Whether Cesar's "pack theory" has anything to do with how a dog thinks is entirely beside the point. I'm quite sure that wolves, coyotes, dingos, and dogs have a whole other way of thinking, and that as a human being, I'm going to have a very limited understanding of that mode.

The point is, most people DON'T GET THAT. The vast majority of people--particularly dog owners--have the mistaken idea that the way animals think is similar to the way humans think, but at a very, very primitive level. Most humans think "oh, the dog is like a 3 year old" and the proceed to act as if their 7 year old terrier terror is a human toddler, instead of a middle aged dog!

The "pack leader" is a Human thought. So is Alpha. They're absolutely arbitrary, entirely artificial concepts that allow the human mind to delineate the very clear difference between DOG as being and HUMAN as being. The issues that Cesar deals with are clearly situations where Human mind/emotional constructs are not working for Dog. An interface concept--Pack Leader--is required to bridge that gap.

By teaching Human (who IS the problem, 98% of the time! ::)) that there IS a difference and giving them an interface or translation concept to work with Dog, it becomes possible for Human and Dog to become partners.

We don't understand how Dog is thinking--anymore than Dog understands how we're thinking. I suspect that Dog-kind is generally convinced that Humankind is completely off our rockers, and we need to be protected from ourselves--not to mention from Wolf-kind, Bear-kind and the rest of the animal kingdom!

As far as Cesar's "Exercise, Discipline, Affection" technique, that's ALSO about human concepts. It's not all that different from the favorite technique on BPO, the NILIF plan. Affection is just one of the rewards that has to be earned.

Cesar Milan isn't the only dog trainer around, but he's certainly the most successful HUMAN trainer I've ever seen. Animal behaviorists have their place, but are very often unnecessary if you just follow a consistent EDA or NILIF plan, in my opinion.
Sheryl, Dogless and sad

Gypsy Jazmine

« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2006, 10:20:34 am »
Just like with parenting my skin kids, I take the advise I can use & agree with & leave the rest. :)

Offline Miranda

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2006, 01:50:15 pm »
Just like with parenting my skin kids, I take the advise I can use & agree with & leave the rest. :)

Exaaaaaaaactly . No dog trainer is perfect, just like no dog is perfect. This is all too obvious to me right now as I listen to my dogs and the neighbor dogs "playing"...which is running up and down the fence barking at each other. I'm glad it's not my dog that has the really loud howling :)
If you think dogs can't count, try putting three dog biscuits in your pocket and then giving Fido only two of them.  ~Phil Pastoret

Offline navarre1316

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 31, 2006, 02:16:34 pm »
I like what I've heard from him so far.  I haven't read his book or seen his show, I've only seen him "guest starring" on other shows.
But in reference to putting the dog on its back.  I've talked to a few trainers/breeders/behaviorists and they all have similar suggestions.  Like when they are pups, pick them up and turn them over on their back as you carry them like babies, you don't want them to fight you.  I wish I would have known that when Navarre was a pup and he would fight me, instead of learning this when he was 6 months old and 80 lbs and I had to wrestle him to the floor and get him in a submissive position!!  But by the time he was 130 lbs all I had to do was give him "the look" and point to were he needed to lay down, without saying a word...and I'm a woman!
And the point on affection and treats....Nava rre didn't like treats, affection I'm good with, but like ya'll have said you do what works for the dog, you take some advice and not some of the other.  I think Cesar got lucky, he isn't anymore talented than some others out there, he was at the right place at the right time.
God placed me on this earth to accomplish certain tasks...I'm so far behind I'll never die!!

Navarre: GSD 9/13/99-5/14/06 patiently waiting
Issabeaux: GSD 1/27/07
Daphne: Boxer
Stone: Siamese mix

Offline MagicM3

• Paw-meister
  • *Sir William
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 31, 2006, 05:13:45 pm »
My 2 cents,I like Ceasar,and like someone lese said he trains people not dogs.

Other than some he boards at his facility,all of those dogs were considered hopeless and were going to be put down,because trainers and others considered them too dangerous,and couldn't be helped.

If anyone were to watch the show he really doesn't do training with the dog.In fact he says very little to the dog.And he is very good at reading dogs.Not everyone is.

Dogs may not be wolves,but they are pack animals and in every pack there is a leader.

A lot of people don't like him because he says things that people don't want to hear.

Like they (dogs) are not children in fur coats.They are dogs.I call mine my fur kids,but in no way do I mean to imply that they are like human kids.

I prefer the fur kids.But even children need boundaries,and limits.

Anyway I like him,and most of what he does is bring a little comon sense and reality in to peoples lives where there dog is concerned.

Tricia and the fur kids

Offline Bella's mom

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 31, 2006, 05:33:54 pm »
I really like Cesar.  As a woman, I know that I tend to nurture.  When I had my previous dog, when she was upset or fearful, I would comfort her.  It totally makes sense now that it only encourages the behavior.  He teaches us humans how to think differently and respond differently to help mold the behavior that we desire.  I think that as humans, we are great at creating dogs that are neurotic (present self included).
Tessie - Belladonna's and Mojo's Mom

Offline BabsT

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 01, 2006, 02:37:22 am »
The dog whisperer guy cheats...has anyone seen the episode with the black shepherd that hated strangers and their cat...

did anyone notice he put an electric collar on the dog and forced the dog to like him and shocked the dog everytime he acknowledged the cat...He never once mentions the collar and even hides the controller in his hand...

I dont know what level that collar was on but both my dogs where electric collars for recall purposes and well neither one ever screamed wearing one....that dog screamed and tried everything possible to leave the room... he even tried crawling under the ottomon...the poor dog was just down right scared to death

he made it like he was using his body language when in fact he was sitting there shocking the dog...

forcing a dog into submission is very dangerous and will build resentment
« Last Edit: September 01, 2006, 02:40:37 am by BabsT »
Zero 23mth  Central Asian Ovcharka
Anchara 16mth old Caucasian Ovcharka

GR8DAME

« Reply #27 on: September 01, 2006, 05:00:52 am »
I am not home much, and when I am, not watching much TV, so I knew this guy's name but had never seen him in action. I had been thinking about checking out one of his books, but lately all I have been hearing was negative feedback. I think I will just stick with my tried and true trainer, and let it go with that.
Stella

Offline LuvmyMal

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 02, 2006, 06:49:21 am »
We have his book and Brandon is currently reading it, I am not sure which book we have but it concentrates on human energy and how the dog reacts to it. We have been using his walking technique with both girls and let me say they are still mals and like to pull, but one week has gone by and we have been successful at walking them w/out any problems. They now know to sit before leashes go on, sit before they are called to go into the garage and they sit at all stop signs when we tell them to, which is a lot diffent than before, I would have to catch my breath and practically scream to get them to stop. Now it is calm walks down the street, hiking will be different since they will need to be in front for that.  I can walk into PetsMart with Nala and she does not jerk my arm off, this is only after 1 week. 

Offline Miranda

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 02, 2006, 07:39:17 am »
Heh, the PetSmart walk is still one that I have not managed without problems...