Author Topic: Need support...  (Read 8011 times)

Offline CalistogaPyr

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
Need support...
« on: August 31, 2006, 08:55:36 am »
Bo (3 y.o. Great Pyrenees) had a bad night last night...threw up, pooped, & peed all over the living room at 2am.  She has been having problems with IBS for the past two weeks and has been on a strict bland diet (chicken & rice), which hasn't helped at all.  LAst night after she threw up her dinner, she then threw up what looked like a giant jellyfish (sorry, it's gross)!!  That was a new one for me!!  I have to take her to the vet tomorrow for lab work & an ultrasound to see if they can find anything structural that's wrong.  I guess I'm just scared & feeling powerless because I can't figure out how to help her.  I'm also really stressed about the cost that this is going to incur, because we just bought a house & everything we have is going into it.  I know that money is irrelevant when dealing with the health of your dog, but it keeps coming up as a source of stress for me.  And I hate that.  I'm not sure what I'm hoping to get from posting this, but I feel kind of isolated, as not many of my friends have big dogs and don't understand why I get so worked up at the idea of Bo being sick.  We don't have children, so our dogs really are like our kids!!  So, here I am, hopefully among friends, who can hear me out & not think I'm crazy for worrying about my big dog!!  Please keep Bo in your thoughts, if you can, and hopefully tomorrow I can report good news.
Thanks BPO crew!
Jenn & Bo (with the bad tummy)
"Be the change you wish to see in the world"-Gandhi

Offline lshelley21

• Big Paw Certified
  • Jazmine 7 months old
    • View Profile
Re: Need support...
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2006, 09:02:19 am »
POOR BO!!!! i am so sorry that the both of you are having to go through this. You know my friends all have tiny tracks and don't understand either. BUt i do, just a regular vet visit for jaz was 400 and that didn't include anything at all...and they all pay normal fee.... I feel horrible for the two of you... Jaz and i give you many hugs and kisses to feel better.... :(
Lauren, Jazmine (great dane)
Jazmine's pets:
Calvin (ferret)
Willy (ferret)
Samantha (ferret)
Baxter (ferret)
Ferrets friends:
Shirly and baldamore (geckos)
Gecko's friend:
Big D (fish)

Oh yeah.. my pet.. Matt (hubby)
Our pets are all above

Offline NoDogNow

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2006, 09:07:25 am »
Oh, Jenn. I'm so sorry your family's having such a struggle with this.

LOOK, now:  You are doing everything you know how to do. You're taking her to the vet to find out what else you can do. You're exercising as much power as ANY of us have when someone we love gets sick.

If Mom barfed up a jellyfish, I'd be stressed, too.

And it's completely fair of you to worry about money. We all do when someone in our family gets really sick--doctors are EXPENSIVE, and while vets aren't quite as bad, it's still the same thing. You're going to need money you haven't budgeted for, and you don't know how much it's going to be. Somehow it's easier when you know how much it is, even if it's a lot!

Prayers are on their way for you and Bo, and for the vet to find something fixable. Give Bo kisses for me... :-* :-*
Sheryl, Dogless and sad

Offline aggghgmom

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2006, 09:29:29 am »
Jenn & Bo:

I hope Bo's belly is better today!!  Of course, we worry about our big friends but finance is important as well.  I don't have a X-Large dog (he weighs 75 pounds) I never realized medical care would cost more; I knew medicine that was given on weight would but you learn something everyday.

I hope to hear good news about Bo after his vet appt!!

Best of luck; keeping fingers, toes and paws crossed.

Randy & Harley

Gypsy Jazmine

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2006, 10:34:24 am »
Poor Bo & poor you!...Did the vet find anything?

Offline Nina

• Supreme Drooler
  • In Loving memory 12/30/05 8:30pm We miss you
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2006, 11:22:01 am »
I know how you feel it is so scary when they get sick. And my pets are like my children, so I know how it feels. But Bo is young she'll bounce back in no time. Sending good healing vibes your way.

Nina
Nina and Tim
Calgary, AB, Canada
Harley(Lab mix)
Dilbert(Pyr mix)At the bridge
Jolene (cat)

Offline CalistogaPyr

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2006, 12:52:31 pm »
Thanks, everybody, for your support.  I will know more tomorrow (Fri) after they do the lab work & ultrasound.  Cross your paws for nothing major (no Big C, thank you very much).  I guess I will have to think about selling a vital organ on the black market to pay for all this, but hey, nothing is too much for my big girl! =)  I'll check in tomorrow with an update.
Jenn & Bo

Offline kathryn

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2006, 01:12:06 pm »
I know how you feel and mine aren't extra large pups.  Mine weigh around 70#s and Shiner will also once he stops growing.  Everytime I go to the vet, and with my lot it seems to be at least 1x month, I get stressed out about money or what's wrong with them.  We all do.  I don't have kids so my maternal instincts are all turned to my pets.  I'm not sure if your vet will do it but you can always explain the situation with buying the house and ask if you can pay out the bill.  I have been to a couple of vets that have let me do that before.  That way it's not such a hard hit.  Sending healing thoughts to Bo.

Kaila - Belgian Malinois
Shiner - Malinois x Ridgeback
Toulouse, Cayenne, Raven - DSH

Due to recent budget cuts and the rising cost of electricity, gas and oil, as well as current market conditions, the Light at the End of the Tunnel has been turned off. We apologize for the inconvenience

Offline LuvmyMal

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2006, 01:19:55 pm »
From my experiences with IBD in Tonka a lot of dogs are allergic to chicken and that could have caused her to vomit like that. We went through that same scenerio for a few weeks. It is horrible, but Bo will make it. If you want PM me and I can go into detail of our experiences. We are all here for you.

SA_horses

« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2006, 10:10:27 am »
How's Bo doing today?  Did the vet find anything?

I hope Bo is feeling better soon.

Offline moonlitcroatia

• BPO Guru
  • Betti Boo March 2008
    • View Profile
    • Greta's Page
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2006, 10:22:16 am »
Hello Jenn,

My Greta had bloat on X-mas eve several years ago. We rushed her to PetSmart, as they were the only veterinary clinic open within reasonable distance. They x-rayed and gave her shots and $375 later she was OK. Thankfully!

A few months later I was talking to the proud owner of dalmations. He said his pups had problems with bloat and that the first time the vet visit was an option, but after that he learned of "GAS-X". Since I trusted him, I decided to try it.

From then on at the first sign of stomach upset I've given Greta one or two GAS-X softgels. I'm not saying this is what you should do, but it has worked 100% for Greta for the past six years. Of course, you should check with your veterinarian first, because each case is different. All I know is that we've needed used it and it's worked. I feel it has saved her life.
I think dogs are the most amazing creatures; they give unconditional love.  For me they are the role model for being alive.  ~Gilda Radner

Offline moonlitcroatia

• BPO Guru
  • Betti Boo March 2008
    • View Profile
    • Greta's Page
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2006, 10:27:37 am »
In addition to my previous post, I would like to add that you want to rule out other ailments first, so it is good that you are having x-rays taken. If you know she is bloated then you will recognize the signs in the future. Greta was vomiting the "jellyfish" substance when she had bloat--the evening we took her to the PetSmart vet. Also, she threw up her food "undigested" in addition to nothing except mucus exiting her body from the other end. It was evident her digestive tract was not moving the food along, so she was not digesting it as it was obstructed by gas. Another sign I've learned to look for is horrible smelling belches. They have an acrid quality to them. When she belches like that I give her GAS-X.
I think dogs are the most amazing creatures; they give unconditional love.  For me they are the role model for being alive.  ~Gilda Radner

Offline DixieSugarBear

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2006, 10:48:43 am »
I keep Gas-X with me all the time for Sugar Bear.  I hope Bo is doing good after the vet visit today. I will be sending up prayers for the both of you.  Never let anyone make your feel bad because of the love you have for your fur-kid. Some people just dont "get it". But we here on BPO do "get it".  Which is why sometime you guys understand me much more than family most of the time.

Lisa
Lisa, owned by the following:
Sugar Bear - Great Pyrenees 4.5 yr.
Dixie Darlin - Great Pyrenees 4 yr.
Penny Lane - Great Pyrenees 2.5 yr.
Beauman - Great Pyrenees 14 months
Izzy - Great Pyrenees 14 month
Rosie - Great Pyrenees (at the bridge)

Offline CalistogaPyr

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
Re: Need support...day 2
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2006, 11:36:10 am »
I just got a call from the Vet...said that Bo has elevated Lipase & Liver enzyme levels.  She said that it was probably due to pancreatitis, but that they hadn't done the ultrasound yet.  All other blood work looks good, though, which is hopeful!  So now I wait to hear if there's anything untoward going on in her belly.  Cross your paws...and thanks SO MUCH for all the kind words...it means lots to have total strangers thinking good healing thoughts for my girl.
Jenn & Bo (hopefully on the mend)

Offline CalistogaPyr

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2006, 12:02:25 pm »
Ok, got the final word from the vet.  They saw scarring on her pancreas indicating that she has a chronic pancreatitis issue which is currently in an acute flare up stage.  We have a host of things to do for the next several weeks, including continuing the bland diet, adding flagyl & prilosec, a 3-day de-worming (just in case), and an eventual change in diet to a low-fat foot (Z/D?).  So, I get to pick her up in an hour & take her home.  She's getting IV fluids right now, so I have to wait until that's done.  The vet said that if she doesn't improve over the weekend, then they'll want to hospitalize her for 3-5 days to get her symptoms under control. Let's hope it doesn't come to THAT!!!  Anyway, that's the update...thank s, again, for all the kind thoughts!!
Jenn & Bo (tender tummy girl)