Author Topic: Prong collars for newfs?  (Read 12487 times)

Offline lshelley21

• Big Paw Certified
  • Jazmine 7 months old
    • View Profile
Re: Prong collars for newfs?
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2006, 06:40:02 am »
The dangers of choke, pinch (prong), and shock collars

by Jim Martyka

“For starters, most of these methods are often used improperly at the wrong times,” said celebrity dog behaviorist David Reinecker. “But even if used properly, they can have negative effects on a dog’s behavior. First of all, these collars and chains induce pain, which automatically leads to aggression, which is the exact opposite of what you want from your dog. They can also scare and confuse the dog who will associate the shock or pinch with whatever they are focusing on at that exact moment.”

Misuse of these devices appears to be the most common issue experts have with this technique. Pet owners will typically pull on these chains or use these collars after the dog misbehaved. The problem is that the dog has almost always shifted his or her attention to something else and isn’t thinking about what angered the owner. The dog then associates this random painful sensation with whatever he or she is focusing on. This can be dangerous if the dog is focusing on another object, another dog, a child or the owner.

Other behavioral side effects could occur, including fear of a certain person or a certain area. Or worse, the dog could become aggressive toward people or places he or she associates with the pain.

“You have to remember that dogs are smart animals,” Reinecker said. “All it takes is one time and the dog will never forget.”

Even in experienced hands, it can take several repeated attempts before the dog associates the shock or pinch with the wrong behavior and even more before he or she learns how to avoid it by acting the correct way. Then, of course, there is the chance of accidentally pulling on the chains at the wrong times or a shock collar malfunctioning, confusing the dog even more.

As many experts say, choke chains, pinch collars and electric shock collars are often used as quick solutions by uneducated owners. Reinecker says that about 75 percent of the dog owners he works with use or have used this method while training dogs in the past. But, he’s quick to point out that it’s not necessarily they’re fault. These methods have long been considered acceptable since some well-known animal behaviorists introduced them in the 1960s and 1970s. It’s been only recently that experts have realized the negative effects these methods have. And those negative effects go well beyond simply behavior.

According to recent medical studies, the use of these methods can cause numerous types of physical injuries to a dog, including vertebrae damage, fainting, spinal cord injuries, organ malfunctions, bruising of the trachea, larynx or esophagus and sharp headaches.

For all these reasons and more, most canine experts, including groups like the Association of Pet Behavior Counselors have spoken out against such training methods. Instead, most say the solution lies in gentle response training, like Reinecker’s method.

“It’s instant, to the point and it doesn’t harm the animal,” he said. “It truly is the best way to get the best results from your dog without causing confusion, pain or aggression.”

Sourcing: Information was pulled from multiple sources for this story.
Lauren, Jazmine (great dane)
Jazmine's pets:
Calvin (ferret)
Willy (ferret)
Samantha (ferret)
Baxter (ferret)
Ferrets friends:
Shirly and baldamore (geckos)
Gecko's friend:
Big D (fish)

Oh yeah.. my pet.. Matt (hubby)
Our pets are all above

Offline brandon

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
    • HaveParrotWillTravel.com
« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2006, 06:42:54 am »
I love the analogy of the "Mamma-Bitch" or "Listen to me" collar, thats it exactly :)
“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Offline ptkennel

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
    • Prairie Trail Kennel
« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2006, 06:43:49 am »
thanks for the info. IShelley21.  I thought that it looked barbaric as well as many others have i am sure.  I am not in the know about these type of collars, I am learning though, and i thank you again.
Joy, Newfoundland
Gabi, Newfoundland
Amy, Irish Wolfhound
Sara, Irish Wolfhound
Gintaro, Irish Wolfhound (from Poland)
Desa, our Borzoi
4 Irish Wolfhound puppies, Saturn, Gemini, Delta and Mercury
www.prairietra ilkennel.com

Offline brandon

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2006, 06:48:04 am »
This was the thing I read about the injuries:
A Study* on Prong Collars was done in Germany: 100 dogs were in the study.
50 used choke collars and 50 used prong collars.  The dogs were studied for their entire lives.  As dogs died, autopsies were performed.

Of the 50 which had choke collars, 48 had injuries to the neck, trachea, or back. 2 of those were determined to be genetic. The other 46 were caused by trauma.

Of the 50 which had prong collars, 2 had injuries in the neck area, 1 was determined to be genetic. 1 was caused by trauma.

* from a seminar by Anne Marie Silverton

taken from this: http://www.cobankopegi.com/prong.html
“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Offline ptkennel

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
    • Prairie Trail Kennel
« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2006, 06:49:59 am »
That is good advice Chaos270.  I think that exercise before might have been a good thing to do, she had been inside for most of the day and sleeping, not exercised, she was likely too hyper.  Not thinking very well here, we are in the harvest mode, and sleep is not an issue.  I had her attention at the end of class but by then she was tired. 
Joy, Newfoundland
Gabi, Newfoundland
Amy, Irish Wolfhound
Sara, Irish Wolfhound
Desa, our Borzoi

Offline brandon

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 01, 2006, 06:54:10 am »
hahaha.. that brings back memories.  I used to have to run laps around the school with my sheltie before the training class or he was just the class brat.  ;D

That is good advice Chaos270.  I think that exercise before might have been a good thing to do, she had been inside for most of the day and sleeping, not exercised, she was likely too hyper.  Not thinking very well here, we are in the harvest mode, and sleep is not an issue.  I had her attention at the end of class but by then she was tired. 

Offline ptkennel

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
    • Prairie Trail Kennel
« Reply #21 on: September 01, 2006, 08:25:59 am »
Brandon that is exactly what she was at class.  I looked like i had the worst dog there.  She usually responds well to my techniques and training , but not that night, a little embarrassing, i just said that she is still a pup.  Looks like an adult compared to the little dogs but in reality she is still a pup.

I had to modify my spelling...
« Last Edit: September 01, 2006, 08:39:04 am by ptkennel »
Joy, Newfoundland
Gabi, Newfoundland
Amy, Irish Wolfhound
Sara, Irish Wolfhound
Desa, our Borzoi

Offline Saint and Mal mom

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 01, 2006, 08:36:21 am »
I'm sorry my input won't really help you in the show ring, but I am in favor of pinch collars. They work wonders with my two! I don't have to pull hard at all and Zoey is looking at me, listening, and obeying. Dolly has so much hair that it doesn't phase her all the time, but it would be impossible for me to walk them both at the same time if I didn't use a pinch collar. They may look bad, but they are not barbaric. They have rounded edges, not sharp ones. And when used correctly, are wonderful for keeping control over your dog.
Marissa

Zoey- Alaskan Malamute, 4 years
Dolly, CGC- Saint Bernard, 4 years
Foster mom to Clarence- Basset Hound, 5 years

"To be loved by...any animal should fill us with awe-for we have not deserved it."

Offline lshelley21

• Big Paw Certified
  • Jazmine 7 months old
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 01, 2006, 08:42:28 am »
I agree except for the fact that they are self correcting collars, yyou do not pull on them or yank on them because of the prongs. They do wonders on long fur, and are great when you do use them correctly....b ut not many people know that they are called self correcting collars... meaning the dog does his own correction not the person
Lauren, Jazmine (great dane)
Jazmine's pets:
Calvin (ferret)
Willy (ferret)
Samantha (ferret)
Baxter (ferret)
Ferrets friends:
Shirly and baldamore (geckos)
Gecko's friend:
Big D (fish)

Oh yeah.. my pet.. Matt (hubby)
Our pets are all above

Offline ptkennel

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
    • Prairie Trail Kennel
« Reply #24 on: September 01, 2006, 08:45:35 am »
If i go with the prong i will get assistance to show me how to properly use it, I am too amatureish to figure it out on my own.  I am a quick learner so it shouldn't be hard.  Thanks for the input, everyone. :D
Joy, Newfoundland
Gabi, Newfoundland
Amy, Irish Wolfhound
Sara, Irish Wolfhound
Desa, our Borzoi