Author Topic: Rescue transport needed Saskatchewan to BC, Canada  (Read 1734 times)

Offline castrocowan

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
Rescue transport needed Saskatchewan to BC, Canada
« on: September 03, 2006, 06:55:19 am »
Hi all,

transportation is needed for this Akbash/Maremma/Kuvacz cross

http://search.petfinder.com/petnote/displaypet.cgi?petid=6926474

from the shelter in Saskatchewan to her new permanent home (me, actually) on Vancouver Island. We are aiming for the weekend of the 23./24. Sep.

A shelter volunteer will take her as far as Saskatoon, I will pick her up in the Lower Mainland. Anybody able to help with the stretch in between?

Maria

Offline PhoebesMom

• Full Fledged Chewer
  • Phoebe
    • View Profile
    • Life with Eclectus Parrots
Re: Rescue transport needed Saskatchewan to BC, Canada
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2006, 06:30:43 am »
Hi, Could you not have her shipped? I know shipping is stressful but it's less time consuming and although fairly costly the costs of gas are pretty insane. I would help out but I'm in between in AB.
Megan- Mom to Phoebe(Great Dane)
Thunder (Chihuahua)
Viggo & Sula (Red Sided Eclectus Parrots)
Meisha & Sydney (Vos Eclectus Parrots)
Skaha (7-toed Polydactol Cat)

Offline castrocowan

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
Re: Rescue transport needed Saskatchewan to BC, Canada
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2006, 04:25:31 am »
Hi,

you are quite right, the cost of flying the animal air cargo it probably less than the cost of gas for driving her. The problem is that the airlines have a maximum allowed crate size (30"H 28"W 40"L)and most LGDs are too big. (Both of my Pyrs wouldn't fit, not even close!) As it turned out this girl is undersize for her breed and just squeaks by, so I am now actually having her flown out. A volunteer was found to drive her to Saskatoon (the nearest airport) and one to overnight her and put her on the plane the next morning. Yeah!

For future reference: if you are willing to help with transport in situations like this, please do put down your name on the map. For most really big dogs, flying is not usually an option, and even partial transport offers help. Had this girl been a normal size, I probably would have had to give up the adoption for lack of transport offers.

Maria