Author Topic: Newf/Great Pyr cross at local animal control  (Read 7907 times)

Offline sobe

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
Newf/Great Pyr cross at local animal control
« on: September 01, 2006, 12:39:26 pm »
There is a 6 year old Newf/Great Pyr cross at our local animal control. He's all matted but very sweet.

We are in Chilliwack, BC, which is an hour east of Vancouver BC, or about  20 minutes from Sumas WA 

http://search.petfinder.com/petnote/displaypet.cgi?petid=6937114

Trina can't post a picture because someone stole her camera, but I can pull if someone here is interested and we can get a transport set up.

« Last Edit: September 01, 2006, 12:42:57 pm by sobe »

Offline castrocowan

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
Re: Newf/Great Pyr cross at local animal control
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2006, 06:44:51 pm »
See my post in the other thread - I'll call animal control tomorrow morning.

Maria

Offline Good Hope

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2006, 11:56:16 pm »
Maria,

I really do not think this dog would make a good working LGD. He/she is older and is a mix with a breed that is not an LGD breed, so there is a better than 50/50 that it would not work. The amount of time for training an adult dog who has not been working is usually prohibitive for most individuals.

I suggest that you join the following yahoo/email groups, if you are not a member already:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/PyrTalk/

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/goatslivestockdogs

http://finance.groups.yahoo.com/group/workingLGDs

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/workinglivestockguarddogs

In your introduction let everyone know your location and needs, perhaps someone can help? There are occasionaly people closing there farms or cutting back, so adult working LGDs do become available. There are pups available more often from working dogs as well. Pups run between $150 to $1500 per dog. This depends upon whether the pup is PB, registered, OFA clearances, considered a dog of breeding quality, etc, etc.

For more information, also checkout the following links, they have been very helpful as well as files and links on PyrTalk.

www.lgd.org

http://www.bountifulfarm.com/lgd_seminar.htm

I'll pm you if I think of anyone who may have an adult available...

Deena
« Last Edit: September 02, 2006, 12:08:10 am by Good Hope »

Offline castrocowan

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2006, 04:33:38 am »
Thanks, Deena. You are right to caution.

I already have two LGDs, a Pyr/Maremma cross whom I raised and trained from a puppy, and a rescue Pyr. My two current companion dogs and every other dog I have ever owned were also rescues. I am well aware of the issues. (And yes, I am on relevant lists...)

I could buy a puppy locally, farm bred pups without papers run $300 - $500 around here. The reason that I prefer to work with rescues is that I honestly feel guilty about causing more pups to be bred when 100s of perfectly good LGDs are languishing in shelters or are even being euthanised. Unfortunately for me, they all seem to be in Texas!

It also drives me crazy that many rescue groups and shelters insist on companion homes only for these dogs, even when they have shown themselves to be clearly unsuited as indoor dogs. I have been looking regularly for about 9 months now. I see the same dogs still in the same shelters or with the same rescue groups for months. I see dogs coming up for adoption again that I unsuccessfully applied for at the beginning of the year. One Pyr had already been rehomed 4 times, because she was completely destructive in the house in her frustration over not having a job to do. Another dog had in the meantime taken to "herd" cars and had already been hit several times. (Fortunately for her this particular shelter finally recognized she should go to a working home, they just preferred a local adopter. Fair enough.) I see "URGENT" notices next to dogs in kill shelters or temporary holding spots. But no, a working home is out of the question.

Liability issues if the dog is not good with the livestock? What about the liability issues when the dog attempts to guard the family's children against their little playmates?

I understand that taking in a rescue dog is always a gamble. And I understand that rescues must be careful about who they adopt dogs out to. But I am willing to take the risk and put in the time to evaluate and train the dogs, and I understand that it can take months before you can really be sure. I will also take the responsibility for finding the dog a good companion home up here if it doesn't work out as a livestock guardian. We don't have a big dog overpopulation, and most shelter dogs find homes pretty quickly in our area (unless they are Rottweilers or Pittbulls, of which there always seem to be too many...).

Maria, who on days like this wishes she was closer to Texas so she could go rescue a dog...

Offline sobe

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2006, 04:43:15 am »
If you do end up calling Chilliwack Animal Control, ask for Trina.  She's fantastic, works her behind off to place dogs in good homes, and will tell you honestly whether the Newf/Pyr cross has possiblilities .

I hope it works out.

Offline Good Hope

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2006, 06:04:30 am »
Maria, it is frustrating isn't it? Hope you find what you are looking for. I will keep my eyes and ears open and pm you if I run across anything. It can be difficult with distance and crossing borders, but it will work out if it's meant to be.

Please let us know if this dog works out for you.

Deena

Offline castrocowan

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2006, 07:31:36 am »
Update:

just spoke to Trina. The Newf/Pyr cross has a weak back end, so will need a quiet life somewhere. However, they tell me that they have been getting in LGDs fairly regularly lately, so she'll let me know if something else comes up.

No new on the Pyr in Salmon Arm yet.

New development: I've talked to the humane society who has this dog:

http://search.petfinder.com/petnote/displaypet.cgi?petid=6926474

They would be delighted to adopt her to me if I can find a way of getting her from Saskatoon to the coast. (Her situation isn't quite as disastrous as the listing made it sound, but the dog is losing weight and becoming depressed in the shelter and they were afraid they might have to put her down if she gets any worse and they couldn't find a home for her.)

So, anyone travelling from Saskatchewan west???

Maria

Offline Good Hope

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2006, 07:45:47 am »
Hi Maria,

That dog looks like an excellent prospect!  :)

Doing a search turned up this yahoo group: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/bdnhsdogs/

Maybe they could help you?

Hoping you are able to get Bebe,
Deena

Offline sobe

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2006, 04:44:02 pm »
have you tried Truck -N-Paws ?

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TRUCK-N-PAWS/

They are fantastic and I believe they transport through Canada as well.

Offline castrocowan

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2006, 06:47:20 am »
Thanks, Deena.

I've put in a request for membership, but haven't heard back yet.

Maria

Offline castrocowan

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2006, 06:48:51 am »
Thanks, yes. I've joined them and several other transport groups (I've lost track already...) last night and will start posting.

I'll start a separate post here, too, so people can identify it.

Maria

Offline galxe

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2006, 10:01:26 am »
 Funny thing....

My hubby and I were just (literally, less than 5minutes ago) looking at the Newf/Pyr mix boy. Crazy, eh? Currently, we live in CA near Sacramento, but are heading up to Coastal Washington at the end of the month to pick up a car (Explorer) from his parents, and drive back to Sacramento. We were just discussing, via email, the possibility of taking this boy home with us.  I would love any additional information you have on him. If it seems like systems are a go, we would looove some help with transport, if possible.
  Guess I should probably share a little bit of information on us as well, in hopes of ensuring a suitable match for him. We are in the process of moving to South Lake Tahoe, where my husband and I work at a Christian Camp. The camp sits on 33 acres, and has several streams, ponds, fields, trails, etc. We fell in love with Newfs about a year ago due to their personality, size, and love for water and outdoors. For the past few months, we've been looking for a dog of our own. Our dog will be a "working" dog, but not in the traditional manner. His job will be to walk to the office and hang out with dad every day, and hang around and get to meet visitors on the weekends during the winter and weekdays in the summer.
  You mention that he has a weak back end. We would be fine with the medical issues and costs and such, but would he have a problem doing much walking (no more than a mile a day or so) in hilly areas, or in snow? Also, how does he respond to strangers or noise? Does he do well off leash without many distractions (he is part Pyr!)? And, does he like cats? (We've recently been adopted been adopted by a stray cat, who gets along great with dogs, but has become a yappy little member of the family)
   Sorry for the overinflux of information, but I would love to know more about him. He has the same eyes as my dog growing up, and that just pulls on my heart strings like crazy.

Offline sobe

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2006, 12:09:01 pm »
the newf cross is here at the Chilliwack Animal control . I just called them to see if he's still there. Right now he's at a foster to adopt home, they have till Sunday the 10th to decide if he'll work out or not. So if you want to check back either here and I can call the animal control for you or you can call them directly at  604-795-4638 and ask for Trina. If you call Monday the 11th, they'll know whether it worked out or not.

Chilliwack is not far from Sumas WA, it's easy to cross the border and then about a 20 minute drive to the shelter.

Offline sobe

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
Re: Newf/Great Pyr cross at local animal control, galxe???
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2006, 12:14:32 pm »
hey Galxe,
if you look at Petfinder, there are great looking newfs in WA as well.
Look at this one :
http://search.petfinder.com/petnote/displaypet.cgi?petid=6955179

It has 3 brothers and/or sisters

Offline galxe

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2006, 10:06:26 am »
   Well I'm glad that he already has an opportunity for a great home. He has such a sweet face.

Sobe, he is absolutely adorable. If hubby and I weren't looking for an adult, we'd snatch him up right away!