Author Topic: Not very good vet report for Dolly  (Read 5284 times)

Offline Saint and Mal mom

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
Not very good vet report for Dolly
« on: September 01, 2006, 05:43:04 pm »
Well, I took Dolly in today to ask the vet what he thought about her back legs. When we go for walks she looks very pigeon-toed and her toes almost touch each other because they go in. And I knew Saint Bernard were prone to joint problems, so I figured I'd better ask now while my girl was young. Basically, the vet said that even though I'm giving her Glucosamine every day, it probably won't help because there have been no definite tests (according to him) that prove that it does help. (I do not agree, oh well.) And showed his lack of knowledge by recommending I switch her from Nutro Max (which he had never heard of  ::) ) to Purina, Pedigree, or Science Diet foods. But, mostly, he seemed to say that she has no pain now but hip dysplasia and knee problems will most likely affect her later. I'm just not sure what to think. Can anyone help me sort all this out? I don't want to call the vet a liar, considering that Saints often do have joint problems, but...I don't know. Maybe I'm just having a hard time accepting it. Dolly's just 15 months old! Does anyone have some guidance or anything for me?
« Last Edit: September 01, 2006, 05:46:44 pm by Saint and Mal mom »
Marissa

Zoey- Alaskan Malamute, 4 years
Dolly, CGC- Saint Bernard, 4 years
Foster mom to Clarence- Basset Hound, 5 years

"To be loved by...any animal should fill us with awe-for we have not deserved it."

Offline LuvmyMal

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
Re: Not very good vet report for Dolly
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2006, 02:12:34 am »
We are going through the HD with Nala (1 yr). With Dolly, I would get a second opinion by a vet that knows a lot about Saints, I have vowed to keep the same two vets even if they go to a different practice because they both have experience with large breeds and one has a lot of mal experience. Please keep us updated.

Offline aggghgmom

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2006, 02:49:33 am »
I'm sorry to hear Dolly might have potential problems, and I will say that I have NO experience with X-large breeds.  My question is does your vet have many X-large and/or Saint clients?  Is there a vet around (even a bit further) with more experience? 

Best of luck to you and Dolly!

Offline longshadowfarms

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
    • Longshadow Farms
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2006, 03:06:00 am »
I agree that I'd try to find a vet with more large breed experience and definitely one that has some HD experience.  Doesnt' sound like this one does.  New studies are proving the benefits of glucosamine chondroitin, though it is more for arthritis than for HD.  It MAY help with HD and that to me is enough reason to try.  Vets can often get some idea of whether or not HD is a problem by manipulating the joints.  X-rays will give a much better picture though.  It is good to find a vet who has experience doing the x-rays since apparently there are some tricks to getting a good pic. 

We've been going through something similar with Carter, trying to find out what was wrong with his back leg.  The vets couldn't find anything in the hip or hock by manipulation so we ended up having a full set of x-rays done - hips, hocks and spine.  Nothing was out of place and actually, his joints were in beautiful shape, no indications of ACL problems, etc.  By the process of elminination they decided it might be a nerve issue, like a sciatic nerve.  He's been on prednisone for about 4 days now and is doing remarkably well (we'd tried rimadyl previously but it didn't agree with his stomach).  We just came back from a walk this morning and his gate is almost perfect. He's also got springs in his feet, like Winnie the Pooh's pal Tigger.  The story is just to illustrate what can happen if you get a good vet who really makes an effort to get to the bottom of the issue.  I think Carter would agree that it is worth a second opinion ;)  Good luck!
Daphne

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2006, 03:50:17 am »
Now that you mention it, Dolly is probably one of the few, if not only Saint Bernard clients he has now or ever. I think I will get a second opinion. He did say that the only way to know for sure what problems we're dealing with for now is to get an x-ray. I think I will do that. But I have a health guarantee on her still in effect from the breeder, and if an x-ray shows some problem that would be genetic, I want them to pay for it. Fat chance that will happen, but I'm going to push for it. Glad to hear Carter is doing so well! And I hope Nala is feeling okay today. Thanks for your help, everyone.
Marissa

"To be loved by...any animal should fill us with awe-for we have not deserved it."

Offline macybean

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2006, 04:11:09 am »
I'm sorry to hear that she may have potential problems, but I would most definitely get a second opinion. I am going through the process of switching my dogs' vet right now. I called around and found a clinic that I am familiar with (did some feral cat neutering w/ them) that has large/giant breed experience (as a plus, they also don't declaw cats, which is something I don't believe in and is banned/illegal in most European and some South American countries... but I'll get off my soapbox before I launch into that).

This new vet saw Riley last week for an eye irritation. His previous vet had claimed that he and Sadie had an infection and gave me ointment (Sadie had no symptoms but he tried to show me that they both were too red). Anyway, Riley had some skin issues above his eye, and this other vet did a thorough physical exam, took a scraping for mites (something the other vet didn't do; it came back negative), and told me it was likely an allergy to something. She believed it was to something outdoors, b/c Sadie (though she doesn't have the spots around her eyes) has been itchy as well, and it's unlikely they have the same food allergy.

Anyhow-not to hijack your thread-I would get a second opinion. Just call around and see if you can find a vet with giant breed experience. Let him/her examine Dolly, and if X-rays are in order then follow up with those.

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2006, 04:55:44 am »
I would deffinately get a new vet. It sounds to me like he knows nothing about big dogs.
RIP former BPO

Offline Kermit

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2006, 06:08:19 am »
Personally, I would not trust my dog's health in the hands of someone who recommends Pedigree dog food. (But that's me!)

I vote for finding a new vet, asap. For something as serious as hip issues, you need someone with experience.

I hope the best for you and your pooch. :-*

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2006, 06:38:50 pm »
Thanks everyone. I'll see and check around with other vets to see if they seem to have a good feel for dealing with giant breeds. I guess I figured if they can do large, they can do giant. But I am wrong!
Marissa

Offline maggieb

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2007, 11:12:15 am »
I just found your post after searching for anyone who had experience with pigeon toed walk.  Can you tell me how things turned out for Dolly?  My pup has developed a pigeon toed walk and I'm trying to figure out how to proceed..
Maggie

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2007, 11:17:32 am »
If it becomes clear that your pup is in pain when he/she walks, that is a more serious problem. Dolly doesn't have any pain and we don't really have the money to surgically fix her legs or anything like that, so we've basically ignored the problem. I would definitely suggest giving the pup either a Glucosamine suppliment or make sure your dog food has glucosamine or selenium in it. Good for the joints. Not a whole lot you can really do about the legs. Never ever let the pup go up stairs though. That can cause a myriad of other problems for legs, hips, knees, and elbow joints too. Try to maintain those joints, even if you can't fix them. Good luck!
Marissa

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2007, 03:17:47 pm »
Oh, sorry to scare you, Holly! I appreciate the concern, though. The girls and I are fine. Zoey is 2 years old now and Dolly will be 2 May 16. We gave Dolly her summer trim yesterday, so she looks a bit chopped up since we did it ourselves, but she seems to be pretty happy! I'll be graduating in 18 days and I'm so ready! And Zoey is her mischievous old self; got put in time out today for stealing Dolly's food. I have been experimenting more with raw feeding lately. I'm a big believer in and supporter of it now. I've been more active at another board lately, but I still check in here about everyday. Good to talk to ya!
Marissa

Nicole

« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2007, 04:41:01 am »
Hey, Marissa! I had the same response. Good to hear from you again, and thank goodness we don't have a bad update.

oh, and CONGRATULATION S on the graduating! that is such an awesome feeling!