Author Topic: It's 9am and check this out-the sad side of my neighborhood  (Read 7088 times)

Offline macybean

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
It's 9am and check this out-the sad side of my neighborhood
« on: September 04, 2006, 03:22:30 am »
Some of you probably know about the Rottie next door, but let me just take you through the morning I've had (mind you, I've only been up for two hours).

I got up around 7am at my dogs' request (haha). I took them outside to pee, then we went for a walk. Not bad, except there was a very large loose pit that seemed afraid of my dogs. I took Riley back home, put my running gear on, and headed out the door with Sadie. We were followed by a loose German Shepherd and a loose mix that I figured out lives in a vacant lot down the street. We were barked at non-stop by several pits and pit mixes that people have on tie-outs (very popular), a set of three little backyard dogs that one person has on the next street over, two other dogs on tie-outs that live diagonally behind me, two weiner dogs, and about 15 or so other dogs that people have in their yards on tie-outs (we're talking about maybe 8-10 feet of rope, chain, or sometimes an actual tie-out) or behind fences (no, I am not exaggerating, and this loop is all of maybe a mile long).

When I got home, I grabbed a paper plate and some of the slices of the food rolls I bought the rottie next door and headed back out with both of my dogs to feed the dog that lives in the vacant lot. I was leaving the food for her and the three (yes, three) dogs on tie-outs in the front yard of the house across the street were going nuts. A guy who owns one of them (it's a duplex) came out and was staring at me. I felt bad, since I was causing his dog to bark, so I waved and got moving. I turn back and he's hitting his dog on the face and telling him not to bark. GRRR!

I get back home, and the loose pit runs at me and my dogs. He's nice enough, but very intimidating to my dogs. They get protective of me, though, and I didn't want Sadie to get into something with this dog (who had some recent scabbing on his ears). An older neighbor of mine was trying to call the dog; he said it was his neighbor's. I managed to get my dogs and myself inside, and he put the dog in his yard.

I then go out and feed the rottie next door.

Oh, and last night, one of the two dogs on tie-outs diagonally behind my house was barking up a storm (as usual when I'm outside) to get attention. I can't reach him. He's kept on what looks like a tire chain or something with a big, heavy lock on it. His person comes out and gets mad at him for being up on this railroad tie right by the fence. He hits him on the face (what is with this?) for barking and for jumping on him-I bet he's never been taught not to do that-AND for getting up on the railroad tie (what does this matter?! Seriously, he's just trying to see what's going on in my yard, and it doesn't hurt anything).

My neighborhood is depressing me. I can't fix all of this, but it's hard to ignore. I want to see if I can get the dog living in the vacant lot to trust me enough to get it to follow me home. I don't know if she will, though. It's about 10 or so lots down, so it's not like she's next door. She'd have to put a lot of trust in me. As far as the dogs barking at me and then getting hit for it, I guess I'll keep walking on the main road to keep them from getting in trouble (avoid the neighborhood streets). I may need a 6' privacy fence in my backyard (half of it has one-there was a duplex here years ago), b/c the dogs around me get excited and in trouble and the funny mix next door flattens our chainlink fence everyday to get into my yard and run around with my dogs. I like him (he's skittish but seems sweet), but he's got an eye infection and who knows what else that I don't want my dogs to get.

Two hours. That's it. Animal control could have a field day here if they wanted. Austin isn't no-kill; there is a big initiative for it that's been going on for years, but we've got a long way to go. Still, it'd be better for many of these dogs to go to a shelter than stay around here, I think.

Gypsy Jazmine

Re: It's 9am and check this out-the sad side of my neighborhood
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2006, 03:54:26 am »
I am glad I don't have to see that everyday...I'd go postal for sure!...I really don't have the answer...I wonder why people like that even get dogs...So they can say "I have a dog?" >:( :(

Offline Saint and Mal mom

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2006, 05:54:13 am »
I'm so sorry it's like this. Unfortuantely, it's like that a lot of places. My neighbor across the street from me used to have 4 dogs. All tied up outside on chains, in not exactly the best, cleanest places. (This guy who has them cracks me up. He gets a girlfriend, has a kid with her, and then gets her a dog. That's why they had 4 dogs. He had kids with at least 4 different girlfriends and then each one has a dog!) Anywho, animal control finally came and took one away when my mom called to report that on a 100 degree plus day, it had no shade and water and would die unless they came to get it. One victory! But these 3 dogs are still over there and I feel so sorry for them. One is very pretty. I think chaining a dog is the worst thing you can practically do. Ever checked out the organization Dogs Deserve Better? It's a no chain organization. Pretty neat. They will mail anyone info if you think they need it. Let me find the link.
Here you go!
 http://www.dogsdeservebetter.com

Maybe it will help. Sure hope so! I told them about my neighbor and they mailed him something. He probably threw it away, but they did.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2006, 05:55:25 am by Saint and Mal mom »
Marissa

Zoey- Alaskan Malamute, 4 years
Dolly, CGC- Saint Bernard, 4 years
Foster mom to Clarence- Basset Hound, 5 years

"To be loved by...any animal should fill us with awe-for we have not deserved it."

bigdogs@5501

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2006, 12:47:01 pm »
I live in the country and I have these idiots that are closest to me that have thier 3 dogs on chains. We have a real major coyote problem out here and recently a coyote grabbed the toy fox terrier and took off with the dog only to have to drop it when it got to the end of the chain. Poor little dog was horribly bitten and torn up. My daughter and I did what we could for the little dog and offered to pay for the rabies shot. Now these people are not even living in the house. The last time that this happened their electricity was cut off and they could not afford to have it turned back on, it took them 5 mos and an inheritance check to be able to move back in. I think one of the other neighbors who are friends with them are feeding the dogs. I have had thoughts of just taking them and taking them to a shelter- but dont want to get into any trouble. Not sure who I would call since we are so far out that we are out of the jurisdiction for the SPCA.

Offline navarre1316

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2006, 03:36:19 am »
How long have you lived there??  I think as the dogs see you more some will stop barking, or at least not bark for as long!!  And it doesn't matter how high your fence is they may still bark at you for a little while.  When you see your neighbors come out to investigate the barking say, "oh it's just me, he's saying hello" maybe if they realize you don't mind AND are watching they may not hit them, some still might but there is hope!!  Good luck
God placed me on this earth to accomplish certain tasks...I'm so far behind I'll never die!!

Navarre: GSD 9/13/99-5/14/06 patiently waiting
Issabeaux: GSD 1/27/07
Daphne: Boxer
Stone: Siamese mix

Offline Miranda

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2006, 03:52:37 am »
I hate seeing dogs mistreated :( Unfortunately, the people who treat dogs like this seem to always get more and more dogs.
If you think dogs can't count, try putting three dog biscuits in your pocket and then giving Fido only two of them.  ~Phil Pastoret

Offline Leah...

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2006, 02:30:01 am »
I had an issue sort of like this where my neighbors behind me had 4 dogs, a black pit and a chi that lived inside, and 2 tan pits that were chained on about 5 feet each of like 20 pound chain. there condition really plunged so i called aspca and of course, they charged the guy 50 bucks a dog, and left. they got skinnier and skinnier until one day i decided i would just jump the wall everyday while the owners were gone and feed them and water them. i did this for a couple months, but i couldn't afford to put 5 dogs on our food so they got purina, but it was better than nothing. i was going to go over and offer to buy the dogs from him and rehome them (or keep them, they were soooooo sweet and we were really attached to each other) i named them queso (after his favourite snack) and casper (after his white eyes and head) but sadly, they disapeared a week before my planned intervention, and i haven't seen them since. i am guessing they just lost to many fights. it broke my heart, but it will teach me, next time i am just gonna go buy the dogs from them, because obviously they weren't any good to him. *sniff*  *sniff*
Leah
Mom to:
Sky- Australian Shepherd
Sammie- Newfoundland/Border Collie mix
Rose- Tortie/Tabby cat
Stinky- Silver Marten rabbit
Ruby, Mambo and Charlotte- Rats
Trevor- Frog
13 Millipedes
NO LONGER WITH US
Bailey the Wolf-Dog 1998-2007
Spanky- Rabbit 2000-2007

Kirsti

« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2006, 02:46:41 am »
awww, it would be hard to live in your neighboorhood. .. I just relized that my neighboor got rid of his big paw mix, and his pit, they weren't trained at all, and they had no human contact (which I guess its a good thing he got rid of them.... but its also sad, I doubt he took much time into finding out who was getting them :-\) and while I was driving in my neighboorhood today to get the mail, I noticed EVERYONES...we ll almost...Dog was outside chasing cars, there is this little polmeranian that chases cars and just wonders about the neighboorhood, I've seen him out a bunch of times and the owners just don't care, I'm afraid he's gunna get hit by one of the big jacked trucks we have in our hood cuz it wont be seen....  :-\...hmmm, I think I'm going to call animal controle the next time I see it....

~K

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2006, 04:50:15 am »
we have the only "BIG paws" in our neighborhood.  other than ours, there's one german shepherd (who is sweet as can be and OH soooooooooo well trained!) an aussie looking dog, and a rottie.  other than that i think the biggest dogs are about 30-40 lbs.  we always have dogs running loose, there's one peke mix who walks himself (apparently for years now)every day, he's so ugly, and like to pee in my yard, and steal things, too.  anything he can get his mouth around!  then, there's the chihuahua two houses down who escapes from the HOUSE all the time.  the owners are really cracking down, since they've realized that i walk 3-4 dogs at a time ha ha.  we live in the country (kinda) so there's the occasional stray who came from / lives who knows where.  at night it's horrible here, we have all sorts of little paws running lose, which are worst than big paws to me, because they're so untrained because they're "harmless"...  what my neighbors haven't realized lately is that even though this may be true, tell MY dogs that when the little paw runs up and proceeds to try to bite me!
steffanie in atlanta

aiden (4), tristan (2), & maya (born sept. 17th)
axle-140ish-lb akita (4)
peanut-5lb, 11 months chihuahua
[img width= height= alt=Image Hosted by ImageShack.us]http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/3339/alltogethernowme6.jpg[/img]

Anakalia

« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2006, 09:59:45 pm »
It's so sad to see so many dogs being mistreated!  I've stopped taking Koby for walks because there are so many dogs just left to roam around our area, OR they're on tieouts and bark constantly and it really stresses Koby out, so we just stay in our backyard and play.  We have lots of hunting dogs around here and I've also seen GSDs and Boxers, but people in my area think if you have a hunting dog it needs to be outside in a teeny tiny kennel 24/7!  Hunting dogs = engery, so they just keep them in a 6x6 kennel(or smaller)?  I just don't get it.  When we did go for walks I'd come home feeling crappier then when we left, I'd feel helpless, depressed or sometimes scared to death because a dog had been chasing us!  I'll just stick to playing backyard fetch with Koby.

Offline arkydo

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2006, 10:18:11 pm »
this is my neighborhood
The only dogs i know of in the surrounding blocks 2 bichon frise, 1 toy poodle, 1 sheltie and 1 chihuahua wooooo
to make things worse i walk the dogs at around 8 am i live near 3 schools so the cops are crawling out of every crook and cranny. So i take out Arkyd and Chav, the first hassle i get is a police officer questioning whether or not it is a good idea to be walikin a pit bull when there are kids around.
When i post his pic you'll feel my rage he's a boxer lab mix doesnt look anything like a pit other than his brindle colour.
Then when Arkyd decides to poop i'm waiting there with my poopbag and i can hear a car idleing behind me just after i pick up his poop the engine revs and a city cop passes by and nods his head.So if i hadnt have picked his terd up i'd have a nice ticket to pay.
A couple of days later the same cop who watched me do that pulls up beside me checkin if had poop bags on me and wanting to see my dogs rabies tags. And questioning the agressivness of chav . This is while he was petting him.
aaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaagggggggg gghhhhhhhhh