Author Topic: greenies?? do you give your dogs greenies?  (Read 8713 times)

Offline hugo~monster

• Big Paw Certified
  • Giants- companion-protector-inspiration-friend
    • View Profile
greenies?? do you give your dogs greenies?
« on: September 05, 2006, 02:25:17 pm »
Mine are sitting here chewing on their greenies.  how does everyone feel about them? 
Shellie~
~SHELLIE & HUGO~

Offline chaos270

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
Re: greenies?? do you give your dogs greenies?
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2006, 02:49:09 pm »
As Tina said they can cause severe blockages because they are not fully digestable (the wax coating isn't).  Our vet has had several dogs come in with obstructions that were Greenies so we don't give them to our dogs as we feel it is not worth the risk.  If you check the boards there should be more info on the warning against greenies.
Erin and the critters
Kali ~ the newf
Lacey ~ the aussie 
Gabby ~ Holsteiner mare
Fire ~ Appendix Quarter Horse/Belgian gelding
Lilah and Hannah ~ Kali's kitties

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2006, 03:43:42 pm »
Our emergency room doc. has FORBIDDEN me to ever give either one of the Newfs greenies.  She said it's her #1 emergency surgery....to get a half digested greenie out of a dog's stomach/esphogus/intestine/etc.  DON'T do it!!  It's just not worth it ~ no matter how much they love it!!

Offline Miranda

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2006, 03:57:14 pm »
I heard that they're okay as long as you're sure to buy the right size, so that the dog has to completely chew it and can't swallow any pieces. But since Laika swallows pretty much everything without swallowing, we've decided it's not worth the risk. My dogs don't actually like them that much anyway.
If you think dogs can't count, try putting three dog biscuits in your pocket and then giving Fido only two of them.  ~Phil Pastoret

GR8DAME

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2006, 02:45:25 am »
No matter what size we bought, my danes and doberman would chew off huge chunks, and even if they didn't swallow them the mess was not worth it to me. It only took one time of stepping on a chunk with my bare feet to ban them here, well before any of the warnings came out.
Stella

Offline Winslow 151

• Paw-meister
  • Winslow at 6 Months
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2006, 03:14:19 am »
Hi,

Greenies are a problem and have been since thwy were released. Here is a CNN Piece and if you search them on goole or any search engine you will see tons of stories about them.

http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/02/14/dangerous.dogtreat/index.html

Rich
Happy Tails to All
Winslow's Dad

Offline lshelley21

• Big Paw Certified
  • Jazmine 7 months old
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2006, 03:28:02 am »
They can get blockages from many things, and there are directions on the package to take it away from them if the gulp or can take off large pieces. I know that Jaz chewed and spit... whether she didn't understand the concept or what... But i do know that dogs get more blockages with socks, underwear, ext. then they do with greenies.
Lauren, Jazmine (great dane)
Jazmine's pets:
Calvin (ferret)
Willy (ferret)
Samantha (ferret)
Baxter (ferret)
Ferrets friends:
Shirly and baldamore (geckos)
Gecko's friend:
Big D (fish)

Oh yeah.. my pet.. Matt (hubby)
Our pets are all above

Offline Winslow 151

• Paw-meister
  • Winslow at 6 Months
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2006, 03:35:15 am »
They can get blockages from many things, and there are directions on the package to take it away from them if the gulp or can take off large pieces. I know that Jaz chewed and spit... whether she didn't understand the concept or what... But i do know that dogs get more blockages with socks, underwear, ext. then they do with greenies.

Hi,

That is true, but Socks & Underwear are not marketed as healthy snacks for our pets like greenies are. Normally when a pet grabs those items we run around trying to take the sock or such from them. We dont go buy a  bag of socks and hand them to pets as treats.

I just get frustrated with calling greenies healthy treats as the majority of pet owners just take the advewrtising as fact and think they don't need to monitor thier pet when giving them, or hand them to the pup in handfulls to keep them quiet.

Rich
Happy Tails to All
Winslow's Dad

Offline lshelley21

• Big Paw Certified
  • Jazmine 7 months old
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2006, 03:46:43 am »
Oh i agree with you, there definitly needs supervision, although it also says that on the package too... And it is true we do go chasing them around with socks in their mouths. But rawhide causes more deaths than greenies has, although my dog doesn't like them, or she does, just not eating them.  Although it is just like giving a rawhide and leaving your pet with it. I do feel horrible for those who dogs have had issues with greenies, although there are so many alternatives in the chewy world. JMO, although perhaps is Jaz did like them my opinion would be different. They don't make greenies big enough for Jaz anyway. But i understand what everyone is saying.
lauren
Jazmine's pets:
Calvin (ferret)
Willy (ferret)
Samantha (ferret)
Baxter (ferret)
Ferrets friends:
Gecko's friend:
Big D (fish)

Our pets are all above

Offline lshelley21

• Big Paw Certified
  • Jazmine 7 months old
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2006, 03:48:16 am »
Choose the correct size Greenies® for your dog:
Greenies® Jumbo for dogs over 100 lbs/45 kg
Greenies® Large for dogs 50 to 100 lbs/22-45 kg
Greenies® Regular for dogs 25 to 50 lbs/11-22 kg
Greenies® Petite for dogs 15 to 25 lbs/7-11 kg
Greenies® Teenie™ for dogs 5 to 15 lbs/2-7 kg
Lil’Bits™* for toy breed dogs under 5 pounds, puppies less than 6 months old or dogs that “gulp.” Lil’ Bits™ can also be used as a training treat or to encourage consumption of dog food (sprinkle it on their food) for dogs that refuse to eat.
*VOHC® Seal of Acceptance® awarded to the following Greenies® sizes: Jumbo, Large, Regular, Petite and Teenie™ only.

Greenies® Feeding Directions:
Greenies® is recommended for dogs over six (6) months of age and over five (5) pounds (Greenies® Lil’Bits™ are ideally suited for toy breeds, puppies and dogs known to “gulp” their food). Feed the correct size Greenies® for your dog’s weight, as indicated above, one to two times daily as a treat. Greenies® are not intended to be complete and balanced and therefore should not exceed 25% of your dog’s daily diet. A greenish color in the dog’s stool is a normal and harmless result of consuming chlorophyll. As with any treat, always offer water after feeding. If obesity is a concern, reduce food intake. If you have any questions, call 1-866-GREENIES (1-866-473-3643) or email info@greenies.com. Caution: As with any edible product, monitor your dog to ensure the treat is adequately chewed. Gulping any item can be harmful or even fatal to a dog.
Jazmine's pets:
Calvin (ferret)
Willy (ferret)
Samantha (ferret)
Baxter (ferret)
Ferrets friends:
Gecko's friend:
Big D (fish)

Our pets are all above

Offline Miranda

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2006, 03:51:30 am »
Yeah, even the jumbo ones are no match for Laika's mouth. She just breaks them in half.

And....rawhide s are bad for your dogs? I didn't know that...we stopped buying them for Kingsley and Laika just because we were tired of the white slimy trails everywhere...
If you think dogs can't count, try putting three dog biscuits in your pocket and then giving Fido only two of them.  ~Phil Pastoret

Nicole

« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2006, 03:56:54 am »
The problem with greenies isn't one of getting too big a chunk.  It's that the wax coating is not digestible and it forms blobs after being chewed up that clump into blockages.  Dogs have been found with blockages from greenies months after being given one as a treat.  It just sits in the digestive tract of some dogs and clumps together.  They are really not worth the risk.

Now that is an EDUCATED post! Well said, Dr. Lane.  ;)

Offline lshelley21

• Big Paw Certified
  • Jazmine 7 months old
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2006, 04:00:08 am »
my main issue with rawhide  is that it has a tendoncy to make blockages in the dogs intestines as well as inflates in size. It gives dogs diarrreah, and makes jazmine gag non stop.
Jazmine's pets:
Calvin (ferret)
Willy (ferret)
Samantha (ferret)
Baxter (ferret)
Ferrets friends:
Gecko's friend:
Big D (fish)

Our pets are all above

chaosndestruction

« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2006, 06:05:57 am »
Kella is NOT allowed to have greenies (why would I feed my dog wax...same reason I won't give her bones made of nylon) or rawhide unless the raw hide is one of the pressed formed ones that crumbles... Her usual treats are bully sticks and chicken (dehydrated chicken) and/or liver treats...I refuse to feed her things that aren't natural and WAX is definately not natural!

Offline Saintgirl

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2006, 06:11:24 am »
No greenies in my house either. For me it is pretty simple, wax isn't good for the plumbing, whether that be a real toilet or a digestive tract.
Leah, Hutch, and Abbey