Author Topic: Do bandanas work for drools?  (Read 6137 times)

Offline jennifer

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
Do bandanas work for drools?
« on: September 15, 2006, 07:12:56 am »
Sorry if this is a stupid question (there's more where this comes from, believe me!), but are there any chamois-kind of bandanas out there that might work for drool patrol? Or do they just get disgusting and useless after a few minutes?  ::)  My Saints are quite drooly, especially when around other people/guests (excited, nervous, etc), and I'd like an easy way to quickly swab the deck (wipe their jowls) so they don't goo on everyone. Don't get me wrong, I live for drools ::), but my extended family isn't so enamored.  :-\  Any thoughts welcome.
:) Jennifer
Mom to Saint Nakita and Charlie the cat

RIP sweet Bear (9/02-8/08)

Offline DixieSugarBear

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
Re: Do bandanas work for drools?
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2006, 07:20:47 am »
Cricket makes great bandanas with a terrycloth back.  Dixie has a large terrycloth bib that we use for dog shows.
Lisa, owned by the following:
Sugar Bear - Great Pyrenees 4.5 yr.
Dixie Darlin - Great Pyrenees 4 yr.
Penny Lane - Great Pyrenees 2.5 yr.
Beauman - Great Pyrenees 14 months
Izzy - Great Pyrenees 14 month
Rosie - Great Pyrenees (at the bridge)

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2006, 07:23:13 am »
I think golf towels are the best.  Bandanas, I would think, would get soaked pretty quickly...cham ois wouldn't absorb the slime, I don't think.  And it's NOT a dumb question!!!  We are always dealing with drool!  Golf towels seem to be the right size....a good wipe now and again seems to keep them looking good!  I've also tried dish towels and they just end up looking disgusting SO fast.  Hand towels would be the same idea as a golf towel, I just have so many golfers in the family!! ::) ::) ::)

Offline Boyle

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2006, 08:04:34 am »
I have to go with hand towels on this since the terry is more absorbent.  Everyone who enters our house knows that blue hand towels = drool towels.  They stay far away from the blue ones...

Offline PennyK

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2006, 08:48:05 am »
Don't go near the brown hand towels in our place.  Even they get looking nasty after a few minutes of company and treats!  LOL!
Every girl needs a Teddy bear!

Offline jennifer

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2006, 08:55:32 am »
Thanks for the suggestions, friends. So glad to know I'm not the only one. ;D

You're right - chamois wouldn't hold the goo/slime. :P And I hadn't thought of designating a particularly colored hand towel for drool -- perfect! :D  And I'll look into the bib -- sounds like a great idea for when we have company - which is almost never now as my house is so disgusting.  Oh well - I'd rather have the pups than company anyway.  ;D  Thanks!!   

Offline amylynn

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2006, 02:38:16 pm »
I wonder if you could make some drool bibs out of cloth diapers. :) They come in packs of pretty colors, now. They would be pretty absorbant.  ;D If I could sew, I would try to make some, but I am completely challenged in that area.  :'( I'm sorry.
Blessings! :)
Amy Lynn

kristi

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2006, 04:37:18 pm »
Sampson has olive green wash rags hanging off the side of his feeding stand - they are for drool in the kitchen after eating or drinking.  I also have the khaki ones that I posted in the 'admiring the drool rags' thread hanging on the doorknob in the mudroom.  drab color = drool

When we have company over, he has a tan kitchen-sized towel that he wears on his collar.  I sewed velcro on it, it folds over the collar, & then attaches it itself - like a detachable bib.  This way if there's drool, the towel is right there no matter where he goes. ;)
-k.

Gypsy Jazmine

« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2006, 05:59:04 pm »
I was SOOOOOO confused!  I thought, "That's weird!  Is excessive drool due to some dietary deficiency or something??"  I had to read all the way through your post before I realized you were talking about bandanas, not bananas!  I'm such a dolt sometimes!   ::) ;D

(edited because I can't spell!)
I was wondering how bananas work for drool too...'course I've been sick for 6 days & am currently & despertly trying to feel better through the miracle of cocktails...Wh at is your excuse? :D :D LOL! :-*

Offline DixieSugarBear

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2006, 02:29:48 am »
Dixie with her bib on. 
Lisa, owned by the following:
Sugar Bear - Great Pyrenees 4.5 yr.
Dixie Darlin - Great Pyrenees 4 yr.
Penny Lane - Great Pyrenees 2.5 yr.
Beauman - Great Pyrenees 14 months
Izzy - Great Pyrenees 14 month
Rosie - Great Pyrenees (at the bridge)

Offline jennifer

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2006, 09:34:49 am »
I wonder if you could make some drool bibs out of cloth diapers. :) They come in packs of pretty colors, now. They would be pretty absorbant.  ;D If I could sew, I would try to make some, but I am completely challenged in that area.  :'( I'm sorry.

Cloth diapers will work great, I think!  Thanks!  :)   I like the idea of being able to loop something around their collar.  That way it's right where I need it to be and gooey, wet towels aren't abandoned all over the house.   ::)  I could attach velcro, or a simple rope loop.  Thanks! :)

Offline jennifer

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2006, 09:35:50 am »
When we have company over, he has a tan kitchen-sized towel that he wears on his collar.  I sewed velcro on it, it folds over the collar, & then attaches it itself - like a detachable bib.  This way if there's drool, the towel is right there no matter where he goes. ;)
-k.

LOVE this idea.  Thanks! :)

Offline AC

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2006, 09:42:55 am »
I have abandoned towels and the like and go with a different approach. I just tell the guests "Let that dry first, it's much easier to scape off then". Maybe thats why we don't get many guests lol.

Offline jennifer

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2006, 09:57:06 am »
I have abandoned towels and the like and go with a different approach. I just tell the guests "Let that dry first, it's much easier to scape off then". Maybe thats why we don't get many guests lol.

LOL ;D  I'm not sure why I'm even trying, to be honest.  Now that my daughter is off to college, I thought I might want company... ?  I'm not sure it's worth it.           Then again, the pups and the hubby are plenty of comfort, for sure.  :)  And my crabby sister can stay at her house if she can't tolerate a little drool.  :D