Author Topic: My Collie seems sick  (Read 9112 times)

Offline PaulANDSadie

• Gnawer
  • Happy Sadie
    • View Profile
My Collie seems sick
« on: September 06, 2006, 10:27:15 am »
Hi all.  This is my first post on this board.  I have a 4.5yr old female collie (tri-color).  She's acting very strange the last few days.  She won't go in or out of her dog door (from the screened pool area to the backyard), and she won't go through the sliding glass door threshold from outside to inside.  I have to put her leash on to get her to come inside. 

When I came home from work today, she seemed very warm, and the house was as 73F.  She is eating and drinking just fine, but acting VERY strangly, and I'm worried, but can't seem to find anything OBVIOUSLY wrong with her.  Other than very warm. 

This past weekend, she was limping, then that stopped.  I checked her for a thorn or grass spur - but there was nothing.  Her pads seem fine.  She loves to play frisbee, but stopped suddenly and favored her rear left leg.  Next day, played again, then she favored the leg/foot again.  I'm looking for help from anyone... She's a great dog and loves people and loves to play.  She's very affectionate and I'm really sad that she's not feeling well.

Hope someone has some suggestions.

Paul and Sadie

Offline macybean

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
Re: My Collie seems sick
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2006, 10:34:24 am »
I would take her to the vet. That seems like an odd set of symptoms, but it would be enough to get me to take my dogs to the vet.

I hope it's nothing, but I'd check just to make sure.

BTW, welcome to BPO. I'm Annie, and I have a Sadie, too (a 2-y-o Lab), and Riley (1-y-o Saint). Is your Sadie a rough or smooth coat Collie?

Kiahpyr

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2006, 02:40:31 pm »
Welcome aboard! I'm April owned my Kiah a great pyrenees and Kitana a rescued mix. I'm glad you joined us.

As far as your furbaby goes I would definately take her to the vet for the limp. Is it possible she got scared going in or out the door?

bigdogs@5501

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2006, 02:51:12 pm »
Welcome, you have found a great place to join. My name is Paige and I am mom to 3 Pyrenees, a Great Dane, and Newf mix and some littles. Please let us know how the vet visit goes with your Collie. Hopefully it is something very minor and then you can walk out of the vets office with a sigh of relief.

Offline MagicM3

• Paw-meister
  • *Sir William
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2006, 03:27:23 pm »
Welcome to the board,sorry to hear of your concerns about your fur kid.

I hope your vet was able to find something simple.
She could have twisted a muscle,or miss calcuated the door way.

Then again she could be having trouble seeing,and that could be throwing her off her usual self.

Let us all know once you get to the vet.

Tricia and fur kids

Gypsy Jazmine

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2006, 05:04:41 pm »
Hi & welcome to BPO!...I'm Chelle & my big dogs are Great Pyrenees...Sam son,Pippin & Sheba.

Have you checked her paw pads for swelling & redness?..Is she licking at them alot?...Could be allergies...No matter what I'd take her to the vet a.s.a.p.!

It is good that she is eating & drinking, no doubt!...However when normal behaivor changes a vet check is always warranted!

Good luck & keep us posted! :)

Offline PaulANDSadie

• Gnawer
  • Happy Sadie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2006, 10:59:58 am »
You all are very nice.  Sadie is still pretty much the same... but I've been talking with some folks at work and I really think Sadie has alergies.  She's going to the vet on Saturday.  She still has me somewhat worried since she favors her left hind paw/leg.  She is stil eating/drinking normally - so that's a good sign.  But she still won't jump through her doggie door or come in through the slider from the pool.

I'll keep you posted.. and again, thanks for all the kind thoughtfullnes s and messages.

Paul and Sadie

Offline kathryn

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2006, 01:32:42 pm »
Hi and welcome to BPO.  I have Kaila, Cinder, and Shiner.  Cinder has been notorious for scaring herself silly in the kitchen and then the kitchen becomes the devil and she won't enter it.  The back door is in the kitchen and her food bowls so she gets over her fear factor pretty quickly since I won't allow her to have any treats or food out of the kitchen until she gets over it.  It usually lasts about one to two days before she realizes that I'm not going to cave and give her special treatment.  As far as the limp, Sadie may have injured herself entering through the door and that is causing the avoidance.  I hope the vet gives her a clean bill of health.

Kat
Kaila - Belgian Malinois
Shiner - Malinois x Ridgeback
Toulouse, Cayenne, Raven - DSH

Due to recent budget cuts and the rising cost of electricity, gas and oil, as well as current market conditions, the Light at the End of the Tunnel has been turned off. We apologize for the inconvenience

Offline hugo~monster

• Big Paw Certified
  • Giants- companion-protector-inspiration-friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2006, 02:47:00 pm »
i would suggest a vet visit also.  If this is an odd behavior for her and she normally does not act this way then something is going on.  Sometimes if there are problems going on, dogs will simply act "out of the norm".  By her not entering the door, think about it this way-it could hurt her to step across something.  so she senses she will have to step across the threshold.  Or sometimes the problem could be an issue with balance or inner ear.  just because she isnt yelping in pain, doesnt me there is nothing wrong.  some dogs do not show how much they hurt.  think of it this way-in the wild if they showed how badly they felt which would be considered a weakness, they could fall prey to a predator.  I have seen many dogs just what i thought was mildly sick and the next thing they you be at the vet's in critical condition.  If she is favoring her leg, it might not be her leg bit instead maybe a disk in her back. 
Shellie~
~SHELLIE & HUGO~

Offline PaulANDSadie

• Gnawer
  • Happy Sadie
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2006, 12:38:30 pm »
Hi,

Sadie is doing much better - although she STILL won't go through the dog door or over the threshold/slider from the pool area.  I'm sure she must have hurt her paw on the ribbed slider grooves (there are 4).  I tried covering the threshold with a rug (to hide it), but NOPE.. she wouldn't come in.  I have to pick her up (60lbs) and bring her in.  Obviously I need to work on this since I can't do this forever. 

Take care,

Paul and Saide