Author Topic: Where are the Schnauzer parents?  (Read 11752 times)

Offline poofynewfy

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
Where are the Schnauzer parents?
« on: June 19, 2005, 07:39:57 pm »
I am really hoping to see some Giant Schnauzer pics and posts soon. COme on Schnauzer parents...show off your babies!

Offline 4_giantshnauzers

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
Re: Where are the Schnauzer parents?
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2005, 07:48:50 pm »
Hello!
I am a Giant Parent to 2 Giants!! Lucky and Libby.
Libby has cropped ears and Lucky was 9 months when we got him so he has natural ears.  The picture of Lucky isn't that great because I groomed him myself he had never been groomed before I got him. :)

Offline poofynewfy

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2005, 07:56:33 pm »
Thanks for posting! You have 2 great looking dogs there. And, IMO, your grooming job is excellent!

Offline 4_giantshnauzers

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2005, 07:59:22 pm »
 ;D Thank You!!

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2005, 08:03:29 pm »
Beautiful dogs! It is about time that we have the Schnauzers represented here! Welcome and I hope you enjoy your time on BPO!
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

dohertyswissy

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2005, 09:10:38 am »
What a cutie!! Thanks for sharing ... and WE WANT MORE PICTURES!!

The natives get a little restless when we don't get our big paw fix!  LOL!

Offline Edge

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2005, 12:14:52 pm »
I'll bite (ha ha) ;D .  This is Lola, she's a 4 month old Giant, 42.5 lbs. We just got her last week.  Just a beauty and so engaging...a total clown.  Hope I can attach these pics properly, let's see...
Pop to Lola, the Batgirl :D

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2005, 12:30:49 pm »
I am really hoping to see some Giant Schnauzer pics and posts soon. COme on Schnauzer parents...show off your babies!

I had a Silky once.  Missy died 2/26/05.  she was a huge Silky.

MommyOfSchnauzers

« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2005, 10:48:25 pm »
Hey everyone!  I'm new here.  I have a Giant Schnauzer who is 3 1/2 months old and a Miniature Schnauzer who is 3 years old.  They are both just awesome dogs.  I will get around to posting some pics very soon!

Melissa

Offline GiantSHY

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2005, 04:15:10 pm »
I am a new proud foster mother to a 3 month old Giant Schnauzer! I have been trying to do some research on the breed...but I figured that the best advice I could get would be from Giant Schnauzer owners! She is very shy right now and just got her third set of shots yesterday so I have to wait another 2 weeks before I can start taking her places where she can be socialized. She is warming up quickly and has become fast friends with my 1.5 year old lab mix.  Everytime she goes outside she comes in covered in leaves.  The breeder intended for her to be used as a theapy dog so that she can make visits to nursing homes, schools or perhaps be a companion to someone suffering from seizures or an autistic child.  She will definately be a special dog.  I was just hoping that I could get some tips on feeding, training, energy level (she's pretty calm right now but I'm used to Rat terrier puppies!) - anything will help! I'll post some pics as soon as I can - She's a doll!
Lauren, Shy (Giant Schnauzer), Micah (Lab Mix), Simon and Sprite (Rat Terriers)

Offline hugo~monster

• Big Paw Certified
  • Giants- companion-protector-inspiration-friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2005, 08:47:46 pm »
ok, i am here :)  welcome to BPO!  just curious about your wanting to wait 2 more weeks til you can socialize her.  is this advice from your vet? 

i would get her enrolled in puppy classes and take her everywhere you go (once your vet says ok on the vaccinations).  the more socialization and interaction you do with her the better.  expose her to all sorts of counds and sights.  take her to the school when you drop your kids (if you have kids) off, let her play with them all.  ask the teacher if she can come in and meet the kids.  take her to lowe's and home depot (in our area if your dog is training to be in pet therepy they are allowed in those stores). 

are you fostering or is this girl permanently yours?  (are you being a puppy raiser so that she can eventually go into a home who needs her as an alert dog?)  the best advice i can give you is always make her have manners.  anytime she wants a treat make her sit, stay ,etc.  never allow bad habits such as jumping on the furniture, countersurfing  and such to even start.  if you pet her calmly and make her sit and be calm for petting, she will continue.  if you allow her to run around like a wild dog then she will grow up thinking this is acceptable.  and while in your household, it may be, but with an autistic child, it may not be acceptable. 

if you have questions on feeding, training, etc just feel free to ask. 
shellie~

~SHELLIE & HUGO~

Offline GiantSHY

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2005, 10:57:35 am »
Hey - Thanks for your reply.  Right now I'm just the puppy raiser.  If I feel that I may have the funds to keep her I can use her for therapy on my own.  I have a Lab mix that is certified through Delta society for therapy.  I wanted to wait 2 weeks at least to take her to heavily populated dog areas like the park or petsmart to socialize her just because I want to make sure that her vaccines have had time to start working so Home Depot or Lowes would be great! .  Unfortunately we don't have any dog parks around here because I found with my female Rat Terrier that was the best place to get her socialized.  I work with a group in Georgia called PAWS who runs an adoption center that is partnered with the local pound to help them cut down on the amount of stray dogs that are euthanized in our community.  We also have alot of outreach groups that focus on humane education and therapy.  I am able to take "Shy" to work with me so I have taken her everyday since I brought her home and she has become much more friendly.  She's become more playful although whenever I take her to work she sleeps all day long!  She is so sweet...but is learing to jump up on to people so Im trying to make sure that doesn't become a habit.  I'm trying to have all of my friends come over to the house to meet her and anytime I see someone walk by the office I ask them if they want to meet her and they generally oblige.  As far as feeding...what have you all had good luck feeding your dogs...is large breed puppy good or bad because I've hear that it makes them grow too fast...When should I get her groomed?...What kind of grooming supplies do I need?  ???  How do I attatch some more images?
Lauren, Shy (Giant Schnauzer), Micah (Lab Mix), Simon and Sprite (Rat Terriers)

Offline hugo~monster

• Big Paw Certified
  • Giants- companion-protector-inspiration-friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2005, 11:56:18 pm »
As far as feeding...what have you all had good luck feeding your dogs...is large breed puppy good or bad because I've hear that it makes them grow too fast...When should I get her groomed?...What kind of grooming supplies do I need?  ???  How do I attatch some more images?

there are many different opinions on food here.  i think pretty much everyone feeds something a little different.  i personally feed hugo raw diet.  if you choose not to feed this way, which is fine, at least opt for higher end kibble.  you will have to experiment and try a few things out for yourself.  if you are going to feed kibble try a large breed formula.  i would recommend you feed brands such as merrick, wellness, innova, canidae, eagle pack, etc.  do some research on the net-you will find tons of reading on dog foods and the many choices available.  may i suggest whatever kibble you choose, please opt for one that has meat as the first (if not the first 3 ingredients).  stay away from kibble containing alot of corn, wheat, and other fillers.  i would take your pup to the groomers NOW.  or as soon as you are finished with her boosters.  grooming is a big part of being a schnauzer and starting this early is important.  for what you need at home, get a slicker brush, for sure and brush her a couple of times a week.  take her to the groomers for nails, haircuts baths and such.  unless you are fairly experienced doing nails, hair cuts and scissoring, best leave this to a professional groomer at least the first few times.  i think it is cool you are going to train her for therapy work.   
~SHELLIE & HUGO~