Author Topic: changing vets...a question first  (Read 2187 times)

Gypsy Jazmine

changing vets...a question first
« on: September 07, 2006, 06:12:19 pm »
I am beyond unhappy with the vet that took my old vet's place...I am now getting expensive antibiotics perscribed for everything & he about o.d.'d Samson on Prednisone for minor seasonal allergies (50 mg's a day for a 120 lb. Pyr for 7 days to start with...we had major trouble I don't want to go into right now) & also perscribed an expensive antibiotic for what he called a "secondary infection" even though Sam's feet were just red & irritated...I never used the antibiotics because I didn't see how they were needed (but payed 41.00 for them) & Sam's is fine now after only 6 days of the strong dose of Prednisone which should have never been prescribed in the 1st place.
When I took Sam in for a 2nd opinion the Prednisone was all but cut out & there was no reprimand for not giving the antibiotics.
Here's a question...wha t are the symptoms of a secondary infection?...What was going on with Sam's feet was redness & itching...no raw or open spots at all...I caught it right away...What does a secondary infection looklike?
I am going in to have a word with this vet this week yet &  want to make sure I know what I am talking about.

Gypsy Jazmine

Re: changing vets...a question first
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2006, 02:03:53 am »
What does a secondary infection looklike?
I am going in to have a word with this vet this week yet &  want to make sure I know what I am talking about.

Secondary infection can take a number of forms, but some of the most common symptoms are goop (probably not the correct veterinary term  :P) in the ears, pus, excessive oil or dander on the skin, and red and extra warm swollen areas on the skin.  A lot of time, the secondary infection can be causing as much of the itching and irritation as the allergy, so it is important to treat both, if they are both present. 

I think you are right to question this, though.  It does sound to me like your new vet is prescription-happy.  If Sam's symptoms cleared up quickly with just the steroid (and you are also right to question the prescription of this in the first place!), there probably was no secondary infection present.  I'd ask how the vet made the determination that the antibiotic was necessary.  The red, itchy feet alone should not be the reason, because those are a symptom of the allergy itself, not a secondary infection.  Although it is a lot of money to spend, make it clear that it's not just the money you are concerned about.  You are obviously concerned about the effects of overmedicating your dog, especially for something as simple as a seasonal allergy.
Well his feet were red & swollen but none of the other symptoms were present...It did clear up without the antibiotics but now I don't know...Maybe he was doing what he thought best?...But then again he gave me a round of another expensive antibiotic for my cat for what he said was a bite (I thought he had ringworm) that amounted to no more than a tiny pimple...All my cats are strictly indoor & I'd never seen Henry fighting with any ofmy other cats ever...Anyway, I didn't give the antibiotics & the almost non existent pimple went away...The vet called it an abscess. :-\

Offline tanimara

• Big Paw Certified
  • Tanimara's Spirit Warrior "Warrior"
    • View Profile
    • Tanimara Great Pyrenees
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2006, 04:39:03 am »
Chelle,

I feel that the dosage for Sam was to high.  Prednisone is given in a wide range of doses for different things.  Anti-inflamatory dosage as for Sam's problem is in a range from 0.1 to 0.3 mg per pound (0.2 to 0.6 mg/kg) up to twice daily.  For a 100 lb dog that ranges from 10 mg once or twice a day to 30 mg once or twice a day.

Prednisone dosage for immune surpressant therapy is much higher.
1 to 3 mg per pound (2 to 6 mg/kg) up to three times daily.
So that would be from 100mg up to three times a day to 300mg up to three times a day.  But that's not Sam's problem per your own vet.

Go here for a vet article on prednisone.
http://www.petplace.com/drug-library/prednisone-prednisolone/page1.aspx#

Also here is an article on secondary infections written by a vet.
http://www.petplace.com/search.aspx?q=secondary+infections&c=1&x=12&y=9

How's Sam doing today?

Jackie
Jackie Wood
Owner/Breeder Tanimara Great Pyrenees

"A people without a history is like wind on the buffalo grass"
Crazy Horse - Oglala Sioux

Gypsy Jazmine

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2006, 04:45:09 am »
Chelle,

I feel that the dosage for Sam was to high.  Prednisone is given in a wide range of doses for different things.  Anti-inflamatory dosage as for Sam's problem is in a range from 0.1 to 0.3 mg per pound (0.2 to 0.6 mg/kg) up to twice daily.  For a 100 lb dog that ranges from 10 mg once or twice a day to 30 mg once or twice a day.

Prednisone dosage for immune surpressant therapy is much higher.
1 to 3 mg per pound (2 to 6 mg/kg) up to three times daily.
So that would be from 100mg up to three times a day to 300mg up to three times a day.  But that's not Sam's problem per your own vet.

Go here for a vet article on prednisone.
http://www.petplace.com/drug-library/prednisone-prednisolone/page1.aspx#

Also here is an article on secondary infections written by a vet.
http://www.petplace.com/search.aspx?q=secondary+infections&c=1&x=12&y=9

How's Sam doing today?

Jackie
Sam's fine & dandy,Jackie,...No more problems at allwith his feet since the (too high >:() round of Prednisone.

Offline navarre1316

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2006, 05:26:16 am »
If you stay with this vet, you need to make it clear that you are not a person who expects the vet to perscribe you meds for everything, because there are people who think if they don't get anything from the vet then the vet wasn't listening!  If you bought the meds from the vet, see if they'll buy them back, there's no reason they shouldn't since Sam's fine now and didn't need them.  Definitely let him know about the prednisone, maybe he does have a reason for high dosing but he needs to make that clear with you before doing it.  I have a vet that's not the most popular in this area mostly because she doesn't sugar coat or coddle her owners.  I LOVE her and her partner vet and am never worried about voicing my concerns.  If after you voice your concerns to him you don't feel justified or relieved in any way, unfortunately I would look for another vet.
God placed me on this earth to accomplish certain tasks...I'm so far behind I'll never die!!

Navarre: GSD 9/13/99-5/14/06 patiently waiting
Issabeaux: GSD 1/27/07
Daphne: Boxer
Stone: Siamese mix

Gypsy Jazmine

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2006, 02:59:35 am »
If you stay with this vet, you need to make it clear that you are not a person who expects the vet to perscribe you meds for everything, because there are people who think if they don't get anything from the vet then the vet wasn't listening!  If you bought the meds from the vet, see if they'll buy them back, there's no reason they shouldn't since Sam's fine now and didn't need them.  Definitely let him know about the prednisone, maybe he does have a reason for high dosing but he needs to make that clear with you before doing it.  I have a vet that's not the most popular in this area mostly because she doesn't sugar coat or coddle her owners.  I LOVE her and her partner vet and am never worried about voicing my concerns.  If after you voice your concerns to him you don't feel justified or relieved in any way, unfortunately I would look for another vet.
I decided to stay with that office but use a different vet...I just am not comfortable using the other vet anymore...Not only was he prescribing antibiotics for everything they were the expensive antibiotics everytime...Wh en my very much missed vet was there I can only remember her prescribing any strong & expensive antibiotic twice in all the years I saw here & that is because it was needed...The vet I am going to see now is an older gentleman who I have seen a few times in the past & who combines good care with some comman sense. :)