Author Topic: You love dogs too much!  (Read 10020 times)

Offline moonlitcroatia

• BPO Guru
  • Betti Boo March 2008
    • View Profile
    • Greta's Page
You love dogs too much!
« on: September 07, 2006, 10:44:45 am »
Has anyone told you this? People have been telling me this lately since I broke up with my boyfriend and since Greta was diagnosed with cancer and Lou boy passed away. They say, "If I felt the way you do, I would think something is wrong and I would get help. I would have to question why it is that I prefer dogs over humans, have deeper feelings for dogs than I do for humans, and derive more comfort from the presense of dogs than I do from the presense of humans. It's not right."

Has anyone said this to you, too? I don't think anything is wrong with it. How come it is that people cannot be happy when someone else has love in their heart, no matter what the reason, as long as it is positive love?
I think dogs are the most amazing creatures; they give unconditional love.  For me they are the role model for being alive.  ~Gilda Radner

Offline GrumpyBunny

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
Re: You love dogs too much!
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2006, 10:47:06 am »
Aw, Moon, I would have a response for them, but I can't repeat it here...  People like to belittle what they can't understand, and people who have never known the simple pure love of a dog don't understand how deep it can be.  Those who get it, get it.  Those who don't, never will.   :-\
*Founder of the Official Suspicious Chicken Fan Club*

Offline Newf Lover

• BPO Fanatic
  • Cool dog + Cold beer = Chilled Out
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ryanbrumley.com
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2006, 10:57:20 am »
People think Sarah and I are overly obsessed with Drake.  Plain and simply, WE LOVE OUR NEWF!  Thus my BPO name.  When friends and family invite us over, they know that Drake is coming too.  Now, if people really don't want us to bring him, they are allergic to dogs, or it isn't an appropriate event for a dog, Drake stays home.  But if we can bring him, we do.  He always clean, well groomed and very well behaved, so nobody can complain.  But why would they?  Usually we have a line of people waiting to pet and talk about him.  I think all dog lovers/owners should bring their dog with them when they can, it strengthens the pet/owner bond and it gets them some much needed stimulation and attention.  So to sum it all up, just like you Moonlitcroatia, we are somtimes told by family and friends that we love Drake too much.  That's fine with me, it's nothing to be ashamed of!  ;)
« Last Edit: September 07, 2006, 10:57:58 am by Newf Lover »
My Newfoundland Lives My Life As Passionately As I Live His.

Offline Saint and Mal mom

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2006, 11:16:19 am »
Some people tell me this. I don't really care. It's what I like. Plus, people can be so cruel and uncaring. Dogs love you forever. Period.
Marissa

Zoey- Alaskan Malamute, 4 years
Dolly, CGC- Saint Bernard, 4 years
Foster mom to Clarence- Basset Hound, 5 years

"To be loved by...any animal should fill us with awe-for we have not deserved it."

Offline Kermit

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2006, 11:18:20 am »
I have been told similar things. :-\ One of my best friends invited me out a few weeks ago and I couldn't go, because it was the first night home for 4 of our dogs who had been kenneled while we moved into our new place. I told my friend I needed to stay home to help the dogs adjust on their first night home. My friend proceeded to tell me that "my dogs have hijacked my life"... and she was serious! :o

I felt very sad when she said this to me, because I thought she knew me well, and I thought she understood my connection with animals. It actually made me question the friendship! I told her it was fine if she thought that, but there was no way she was going to make me feel guilty for staying home with my dogs that night instead of going out with her!

So now I really feel like it is a priority in my life to make friendships with people who understand my passion for animals. :) It is so nice to hang out with folks who feel the same way. In fact just last night my BF and I met a new friend who has a pit/pointer mix who he loves more than life. We talked dogs for at least 30 minutes! It was great!!! :D

Sorry so long-winded, I just feel like I can really relate to what you are saying! And I think that the people who don't love animals are really missing out! How could a person live without dog-love??
« Last Edit: September 07, 2006, 11:20:12 am by doghealer »

Offline gabeshouse

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2006, 11:38:46 am »
Who loves dogs too much?

Someone knocked on my door the other night. It was my sister. She said the people she worked with wanted to meet Gabe because she had talked about him so much. I go outside and there are five people she works with in my yard.

Last weekend a friend called to see if I could bring Gabe to the park so his mom could meet his mom.

It is so much fun seeing your dog get that type of reaction from people.

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2006, 11:42:58 am »
I'm giggling here....we are all the same! :D :D :D  I've been told that I must have an empty place in my heart if I give all this love to my dogs.  After raising four kids, being around all their friends and helping them to grow up as well, being there for my sister and her family, loving and being loved by dh I have an empty life?  HA!!!  This is just the best part!   I adore the Newfs!  We have such fun together and we meet so many fascinating people!  Nobody ever stopped me to gawk at any of my kids, wanted to tell me stories about their kids, or ask to have their pictures taken with the kids.  It happens on just about a daily basis with the Newfs.  My dog friends don't compete through their dogs...none of this nonsense about what school they are going to, etc (ad naseum!!!)

We are giving my daughter and her future husband an engagement party and one woman called (whom I don't know) and said she probably wasn't going to be able to come because she has a 14 year old dog who wasn't doing well and she just didn't want to leave him.  She might be a new friend!  I completely understand!  What a wonderful woman! ;)

May everybody be so lucky to have something in their lives to love so much and be loved so much in return!!!

Offline Imani's Mom

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
    • My Chinchilla Page
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2006, 11:55:55 am »
People who say that obviously have never had a connection with their dog, never truly loved or been loved by a dog.  Once you have made that connection, you KNOW what true love is, and could never have a "life" without it.

Weedsport, NY

k2campbell

« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2006, 12:05:32 pm »
Moon, many people (let me re-phrase that) "friends and even family" told Eric and I this when we decided to treat our Rotti's cancer with Chemo.  I think it was because they just couldn't understand us forking out that much money for a dog.  Well, he was our boy (and will always be in our hearts) and people that take the time to say things such as these (unfortunately) don't take the time to understand.  They are (plain and simply)- IGNORANT.

Some have comments for us on Kate, that we're "too protective" or "worry too much".  I just had to learn to realize that unfortunately - those people obviously haven't been given the chance to be loved by a dog like we have with both our Slater and Kate.  And, in the end - I feel sorry for them ;)

bigdogs@5501

« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2006, 12:16:44 pm »
First of all, pity on those poor people. I read a letter from Marc Gellman, it was a special letter that he wrote on the death of his dog Miles. He summed it up so eloquently. I had read the entire letter after the death of my Pyr, Tank and sat at my desk crying. Everyone at the office pretty much thinks that I am nuts when it comes to the dogs. Heres the quote. If anyone wants the letter in its entirety, let me know. I will start a thread, with just the letter. It is long, but worth the read and I would be happy to post if anyone is interested.

A quote from a letter written to Dr Alen Coren March 2006.

I also understand the bewilderment and impatience of those who have never loved an animal. Many of them openly or privately harbor condescending thoughts about pet lovers who often seem to them so willing to lavish love and attention on animals that they cannot seem to summon up for the souls for other human beings. My message to them is, “Shut up! Get a pet. Then you will understand.

Offline moonlitcroatia

• BPO Guru
  • Betti Boo March 2008
    • View Profile
    • Greta's Page
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2006, 12:51:50 pm »
First of all, pity on those poor people. I read a letter from Marc Gellman, it was a special letter that he wrote on the death of his dog Miles. He summed it up so eloquently. I had read the entire letter after the death of my Pyr, Tank and sat at my desk crying. Everyone at the office pretty much thinks that I am nuts when it comes to the dogs. Heres the quote. If anyone wants the letter in its entirety, let me know. I will start a thread, with just the letter. It is long, but worth the read and I would be happy to post if anyone is interested.

A quote from a letter written to Dr Alen Coren March 2006.

I also understand the bewilderment and impatience of those who have never loved an animal. Many of them openly or privately harbor condescending thoughts about pet lovers who often seem to them so willing to lavish love and attention on animals that they cannot seem to summon up for the souls for other human beings. My message to them is, “Shut up! Get a pet. Then you will understand.

I, for one, will love it if you post the letter in its entirety! Please do!

I think dogs are the most amazing creatures; they give unconditional love.  For me they are the role model for being alive.  ~Gilda Radner

Offline kathryn

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2006, 01:02:09 pm »
I have never had this said to my face but have had people imply it and then say it behind my back.  My answer to that has always been to give examples of why my dogs are better than most of the human race.  When you point out that chimps and humans are pretty much the only species that actively murder each other then it kind of shuts people up real fast. 
Kaila - Belgian Malinois
Shiner - Malinois x Ridgeback
Toulouse, Cayenne, Raven - DSH

Due to recent budget cuts and the rising cost of electricity, gas and oil, as well as current market conditions, the Light at the End of the Tunnel has been turned off. We apologize for the inconvenience

GR8DAME

« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2006, 02:53:56 pm »
Friends and family have implied it to me as well, and I no longer even try to explain the great joy that my dogs bring to me. The capacity to give and recieve love is not diminished by spreading it around, it only increases,and for some reason people seem to have a hard time understanding that as well. I simply tell them that if I have to explain it they would never understand it.
Stella

Gypsy Jazmine

« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2006, 03:11:16 pm »
I have heard that many times...I've even been told by family members that I like my animals more than my own children...som etimes I do.

It is known but not understood that I not attend any event or gathering that takes me away from my animals for too long...My step MIL told me "you are a slave to those animals"...WHENEVER I mention that I am stressed in life IMMEDIATLY it is blamed on my animals...neve rmind that I have bi-polar disorder & 2 children diagnosed with a.d.h.d & a.d.d.,we don't medicate & I have a hubby who is gone 5 days a week & I take care of pretty much literally everything involving home,family & finances & I work part time during the school year...Clearly you can all see I only have the animals to be stressed about. ::)
I love my animals somuch because they keep me grounded & sane. :)
People question & blame what they don't understand...T hough they irritate me I pity them.

angelsmama

« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2006, 03:20:29 pm »
Yeah my mom says I'm weird.. My brother says I'm obsessed with dogs.. My sister and grandmother say I need to get a life outside of @$$ licking dogs  :-\ >:(