Author Topic: You love dogs too much!  (Read 10018 times)

Nicole

Re: You love dogs too much!
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2006, 03:33:45 pm »
hahaha, this is funny how we've all heard these things. My boyfriend is constantly harping me...my mother thinks I'm nuts...everyti me I talk about dogs, they roll their eyes. Sheesh.

Offline marinafb

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2006, 03:53:55 pm »
I truly believe that if you have never had a connection with dogs you will understand there inner souls. Dogs to me are a part of me they accept without question and give there everything to us. They know when we are happy , sad, angry and even when we are sick! They will never let you down of course unless they have chewed your favorite shoes and even then you still love them! There is no questions dogs are loyal and will stick buy you to the end. My dad use to say stop kissing that dog I never stopped ! Marina
Freya-9 years collie shepard mix
Milo-6 years Pitt Bull
Bryce-3 years English Mastiff
Mab and Angus cool cats

Offline MagicM3

• Paw-meister
  • *Sir William
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2006, 04:19:31 pm »
OMG if I had a penny for everytime I heard this I'd be richer than Bill Gates.

I grew up in a family of nine kids and two parents,6boys and 3 girls.

I was the animal kid,the weird one,the outcast,etc because of my connection with animals,especially dogs.

My 1st encounter that made an impression on me as an adult was when I started quite by accident,a program at my son's elementary school.

It started as a show n tell in his special ed class and quickly spread to the other sp ed classes and then the whole school.

It was a simple,*how to take care of your pets*
Lucky was the dog I choose for this (a Collie)

shortly after I started doing this,I was in the hall of the school on other school business without Lucky and some students were walking by and one of them called me
*the animal lady*

They were quickly corrected by a teacher,and I have to admitt that I was flattered by this kid,and made it very clear to the teacher and the kids that I would be honored to be called that .
The fact that I had made enough of an impression on the kids in the school that, that was there name for me...WOW

Back to my family,I have had brothers and sisters call me long distance,back when it cost lots of money to do so,to ask me what to do for a sick or injured pet.This even if I hadn't heard from them for years.

I would not be offended if on my toumbstone it read
(the animal lady)

Tricia and the fur kids

Offline krismark

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
    • My babies!
« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2006, 04:20:14 pm »
I get this to a certain extent but it doesn't bother me. I have learned that no matter what your passion is, someone will have something to say about it.

I see this exact discussion on the "sport-touring" motorcycle forum I frenquent. Friends and relatives don't understand their passion for motorcycling and constantly criticize them for it. Especially since many people feel it is dangerous, so therefore they are being selfish by riding a motorcycle and putting themselves in danger, which might "hurt" their family.

Gypsy Jazmine

« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2006, 04:27:42 pm »

I would not be offended if on my toumbstone it read
(the animal lady)

Tricia and the fur kids
It is my desire if I pass before my dh that each & every animal we ever lived with & loved that passed before is listed in my obit as "proceeded in death by" & every fur friend still living is listed as "survived by" along with any human family that is relevent...I know dh will honor this...So, would my children...It is wierd but comforting that at the end it is known that they were a part of my FAMILY. :)

Offline moonlitcroatia

• BPO Guru
  • Betti Boo March 2008
    • View Profile
    • Greta's Page
« Reply #20 on: September 07, 2006, 06:33:33 pm »
I have never had this said to my face but have had people imply it and then say it behind my back.  My answer to that has always been to give examples of why my dogs are better than most of the human race.  When you point out that chimps and humans are pretty much the only species that actively murder each other then it kind of shuts people up real fast. 

Don't forget dolphins? They murder each other too, don't they?  :-\
I think dogs are the most amazing creatures; they give unconditional love.  For me they are the role model for being alive.  ~Gilda Radner

Offline moonlitcroatia

• BPO Guru
  • Betti Boo March 2008
    • View Profile
    • Greta's Page
« Reply #21 on: September 07, 2006, 06:40:51 pm »
This is interesting. I was discussing the idea today that people (in general) tend to 'put down' what they don't understand. It goes that way with a lot of things. All of my life I've been told by various individuals that I don't have interests or hobbies, rather I have obsessions. I'm interested in things other find 'boring', things people don't like to talk about. No, they'd rather talk about the drama they've created in their lives or who is doing what and can you believe this person did this? Anyway, I think there is something evil about the way humans (some) have a tendency to try to stomp on joy. There are bad hobbies, like driving wrecklessly, but for those things that are not unhealthy for us, that promote peace and generosity in the universe...wel l, I simply cannot fathom why someone would want to stick their nose in and condemn. Some people may say that is just human nature. I have to stand by the conviction that if it is, in fact, human nature it is quite pitiful considering that we humans consider ourselves so "civilized" and "evolved".

Does it not seem like greed is paramount in human relationships? People often joust about to win favorable positions in life and, in the process, they say things to put others down so they will appear better, mentally superior, and so on...

If everyone could just mind their own business and find their own joy in life, then spread it around with glee...they'd be like us....

...DOG LOVERS!
« Last Edit: September 07, 2006, 06:44:33 pm by moonlitcroatia »
I think dogs are the most amazing creatures; they give unconditional love.  For me they are the role model for being alive.  ~Gilda Radner

Gypsy Jazmine

« Reply #22 on: September 07, 2006, 07:02:12 pm »
This is interesting. I was discussing the idea today that people (in general) tend to 'put down' what they don't understand. It goes that way with a lot of things. All of my life I've been told by various individuals that I don't have interests or hobbies, rather I have obsessions. I'm interested in things other find 'boring', things people don't like to talk about. No, they'd rather talk about the drama they've created in their lives or who is doing what and can you believe this person did this? Anyway, I think there is something evil about the way humans (some) have a tendency to try to stomp on joy. There are bad hobbies, like driving wrecklessly, but for those things that are not unhealthy for us, that promote peace and generosity in the universe...wel l, I simply cannot fathom why someone would want to stick their nose in and condemn. Some people may say that is just human nature. I have to stand by the conviction that if it is, in fact, human nature it is quite pitiful considering that we humans consider ourselves so "civilized" and "evolved".

Does it not seem like greed is paramount in human relationships? People often joust about to win favorable positions in life and, in the process, they say things to put others down so they will appear better, mentally superior, and so on...

If everyone could just mind their own business and find their own joy in life, then spread it around with glee...they'd be like us....

...DOG LOVERS!
Amen Moonlit...Know peace in what you love my friend. :-*

Offline DixieSugarBear

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 08, 2006, 01:33:52 am »
OMG I would love to have a t-shirt with this:

"Those who get it, get it.  Those who don't, never will."   

Lisa
Lisa, owned by the following:
Sugar Bear - Great Pyrenees 4.5 yr.
Dixie Darlin - Great Pyrenees 4 yr.
Penny Lane - Great Pyrenees 2.5 yr.
Beauman - Great Pyrenees 14 months
Izzy - Great Pyrenees 14 month
Rosie - Great Pyrenees (at the bridge)

EllieAndBlu

« Reply #24 on: September 08, 2006, 02:00:32 am »
It is with great pride I wear the title "Crazy Dog Lady!"  :)

Offline navarre1316

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 08, 2006, 05:09:44 am »
OMG I would love to have a t-shirt with this:

"Those who get it, get it. Those who don't, never will."

Lisa

I want one of those too!!  With the dog of your choice stenciled in the background, with the words overlayed!!  It's funny, when Navarre died one of the guys at work asked me what was wrong (he hadn't heard) and one of the girls said, "her dog died on Sun" his response was "Navarre?...just the fact that I remembered that dog's name signifies how much you loved him!!"  Needless to say, he is not an animal person, but it was nice that he said that.  But on the other hand I've also been called obsessive, not to bright for spending the money on vet bills that I did, and of course had people(who are suppose to be my friends) tell me I need to spend the time I put into dogs into finding a man!  Well, I have a few different responses for that!  I also think of "those" people as people who have something missing and so are constantly searching and miserable.  Call me the dog lady, animal lady, any of that anyday because I will not be miserable.
God placed me on this earth to accomplish certain tasks...I'm so far behind I'll never die!!

Navarre: GSD 9/13/99-5/14/06 patiently waiting
Issabeaux: GSD 1/27/07
Daphne: Boxer
Stone: Siamese mix

Offline Moni

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 08, 2006, 05:31:48 am »
I've always heard this my whole life, especially when I was younger... Now I have a "waiting list" on my dogs if something happens to me. 

It used to be a big argument between my step-mom and me years ago.  She would always comment on how she couldn't understand me spending money on dogs all the time.  Finally I confronted her on it.  I said,

"Listen, I love dogs, they're a part of my family.  However I don't understand why you like spending hundreds to thousands of dollars on shiny rocks.  Personally, I think spending money on my dogs makes more sense than on pretty rocks, but I don't knock you for it because you like it.  To each their own, ok?"

I'm sure that you can find out what those other peoples' "hobbies" are and just switch it around to ask why that spend so much time with that?  People have different likes and dislikes, if we didn't it'd be a very boring world.  :) 

If they don't like it, too bad.  They're not the ones living our lives, we are.

~moni
BPO does not have my permission to use my photos.

Offline Saint and Mal mom

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 08, 2006, 08:14:34 am »
When I told my classmates earlier this year that mom, the dogs, and I were going to Kansas City for the dog n jog, they were like, "You're making a 2 hour trip for your dogs?!" I was like, um, yes. And they drive 5 hours to get to a basketball camp, so to each his own!!!! My parents and the rest of my family think I'm obsessed. So what? I could say the same about them with other things if I wanted to waste my time. But it doesn't bother me at all. I want a shirt that says, "Yes, I'm obsessed. Now move along!" with a picture of my girls by it.
Marissa

Zoey- Alaskan Malamute, 4 years
Dolly, CGC- Saint Bernard, 4 years
Foster mom to Clarence- Basset Hound, 5 years

"To be loved by...any animal should fill us with awe-for we have not deserved it."

Offline moonlitcroatia

• BPO Guru
  • Betti Boo March 2008
    • View Profile
    • Greta's Page
« Reply #28 on: September 08, 2006, 10:26:50 am »
I need a t-shirt that states the facts (in a paragraph) and perhaps sports a photograph of me as a child holding a chicken or running around with pigs, or playing dress-up with the border collies. The paragraph will simply enlighten all who wonder, telling them that I was, indeed, practically raised by dogs. Unlike the Ukrainian girl recently discovered, I did go home and sleep in a bed (not in the chicken coup) but I spent every day all day talking to them and running around in the mountains with them. They were my pals. Their weren't any children around. So it isn't a surprise that I relate to dogs well.

Offline MSF

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 08, 2006, 11:08:30 am »
When I get crap from family about my love for animals I look at them totaly shocked and in a shocked voice I say
" Oh my !!!!!!!!! does it bother you that I'm happy????"

Try that line one day, the results are comical. ;D