Author Topic: Frequency of grooming  (Read 4240 times)

Offline CrazyLoveRosie

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
Frequency of grooming
« on: September 11, 2006, 10:51:13 am »
I'm a new Newf owner and need some basic advice on Newf grooming.

How often do you give your Newf baths (under normal conditions and barring baths due to Newf messes)?
How often do you clean your Newf's ears?
How often do their nails need to be clipped?
How often do we need to brush/de-plaque his teeth?
And are there periodic grooming tips that I've missed?
Rosie - Newfoundland

Offline chaos270

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
Re: Frequency of grooming
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2006, 02:48:10 pm »
Kali gets a bath about once a month but it's usually less cause she really needs it cause she loves to get dirty and in the spring she gets them more frequently cause she loves mud.  Both ear cleaning and nail trimming are based on the dog.  Kali tends to wear her nails down on her own so we just check them every once and awhile and trim them if they need it.  Ears you'll probably have to clean the day after they've been in water and I'd suggest checking them at least every other day to see if they need to be cleaned. 

I'm not sure about brushing teeth because we use a dental diet kibble as treats but I'd say as necessary.  You definitely will want to brush every day and watch behind her ears, under her elbows and her hind end for matts as that's where they tend to be.  Also make sure she dries out well after baths and playing in the water and take off her collar so the neck can dry out because it can cause hotspots as it did with Kali.
Erin and the critters
Kali ~ the newf
Lacey ~ the aussie 
Gabby ~ Holsteiner mare
Fire ~ Appendix Quarter Horse/Belgian gelding
Lilah and Hannah ~ Kali's kitties

Offline CrazyLoveRosie

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
Re: Frequency of grooming
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2006, 09:12:51 am »
Great tips, thanks!