Author Topic: Didn't you know there is no such thing as a half-mask Saint? *Rant*  (Read 14271 times)

Lyn

Ok I know I'm letting this get to me way too much. But it is really starting to annoy me.  :-\

Everytime we take Lola out in public we are asked if she is a Saint mix along with many other questions. Which doesn't bother me since alot of people are not familar with the short haired Saints.. nevermind a half mask. I actually welcome 'intelligent' questions.

But what reallllly ticks me off is when I explain that she is a half-mask Saint and they 'inform' me that there is no such thing and that I got ripped off.(lol) ::) Ok um well.. your looking at one. ::) Usually I just say "Yeah whatever" and walk away. There is no point in trying to explain it to someone that thinks they know 'everything'.

Well the 'question' popped up 4 damn times today. Each time I just replied "She is a Saint Bernard" and all 4 times their response was.. "Are you sure she's not a mix?" SIGH.. So I said 'Actually I think she might be one of those new tri-coloured Newfs!!!!!!!!'. That shut them up. LOL

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
Re: Didn't you know there is no such thing as a half-mask Saint? *Rant*
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2006, 11:01:53 am »
It always amazes me when people correct me about the breed of my dog!  Our white Akita was a Husky, Samoyed, etc.  The Landseers are Dalmations (??!!), St.Bernard mixed with ??, Chester of course is an overgrown chocolate Lab!

I think you are right to walk away!  Lola is gorgeous no matter what and you didn't get ripped off....you stole her!!! :D :D :D :D

Offline Saint and Mal mom

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2006, 11:12:32 am »
I think half-masked Saints are THE cutest thing ever, whether these dumbies know they exist or not!  ::) And Zoey has been called a husky thousands of times, a shepherd mix, but Dolly is always just Beethoven.  :D
Marissa

Zoey- Alaskan Malamute, 4 years
Dolly, CGC- Saint Bernard, 4 years
Foster mom to Clarence- Basset Hound, 5 years

"To be loved by...any animal should fill us with awe-for we have not deserved it."

Gypsy Jazmine

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2006, 11:14:19 am »
What amazes me is that there were no long haired St.'s at all until the late part of the 18th/early part of the 19th centuries...Th ere were ONLY short haired St.'s until then...The Great Pyrenees, Newfs, bulldogs, Spaniels & Great Danes (& some other Mastiff breeds) were crossed with the smooth coated St. because the breed was in danger of extinction...I think it wasn't until the 1930's that the long haired St. was even recognized by the AKC so the smooth coated St.'s have been around FAR longer than the long haired ones...Tell that to the next naysayer!!!
B.t.w., My dogs are white Newfs, Chows, or, even once, yellow Labs????

edited to add this link on St. Bernard history:
http://www.barkbytes.com/history/stbern.htm
« Last Edit: September 09, 2006, 11:16:48 am by Gypsy Jazmine »

Lyn

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2006, 11:41:23 am »
LMAO, newflvr.. "I didn't get ripped off I stole her". :D I would use that although then they would probably call the cops on me. lol

Gypsy, I used to mentioned that Saints were originally short-haired. But everything I said just went in one ear and out the other. They think that they are all suppose to look like Beethoven. :-\ Meanwhile I've never seen 2 Saints that look exactly alike. They all have different markings, mask, head/muzzle shape or color.

I must admit though when I first saw Lola the half mask looked so odd to me. So I can see where these people are coming from. But to go so far as to say I was ripped off and that she's a mix blah blah blah.. I don't get the point. What kinda favor do they think they are doing me.. LOL

Offline Imani's Mom

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
    • My Chinchilla Page
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2006, 01:00:04 pm »
Are you sure it wasn't simply a case of running out of paint before they got her finished? LOL  She is one fine looking lady in my opinion.

Weedsport, NY

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2006, 01:41:25 pm »
I hear you.  Keiko gets mistaken for a white shepherd quite often.  Which is kind of funny b/c she's not white, she's cream/buff, has a curled tail, and one blue eye and one brown.  Gunther must be a weird looking greyhound b/c he's so skinny.  Great danes don't come in that color.

I think Lola is very pretty, and her half mask only makes her that much more special and unique.

Offline Softhug

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2006, 01:47:45 pm »
They would really be corn-fused by LMT's Saint, Adicus, with the wicked-cool freckles on his face (and NO mask) and the afro hairdo!   :-*

What a sweetie Lola is with her little white eyelashes and sweet, smushy face! :-*  She is a cutie!

Some people are just dumb.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2006, 01:49:06 pm by Softhug »
Jacquie-Undercover Princess
Tsu Ling-Chow Chow-RIP 5/08
Boudreaux-American Mastiff
Griffey-Pi55y, fat, yellow cat
Comrade-red/white Siberian Husky
"Lots of people talk to animals," said Pooh.
"Not that many listen though."
"That's the problem."

Offline Kermit

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2006, 01:53:10 pm »
Lola is gorgeous!!!! :-*

As for the "know-it-alls" out there... dang they sure know it all!!!  ::) I don't have any clue why someone would approach a total stranger with a dog and start acting like the authority on the breed. I would never approach someone and try to tell them about their own dog! It's incredibly rude!!!

And just in case you were wondering... Leeloo is a Dalmatian!!! :D ;)

Offline kathryn

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2006, 01:59:18 pm »
Just tell them that Lola only had time to steal half of batman's mask off before he got away.  Mine are only mistaken for German Shepherds because no one has really heard of Malinois so it's not far fetched.  The problem I have is when I tell people that Malinois are shy and to let my dogs approach them people still force themselves on my dogs.  I let my dogs move away from the people and will even block them with my body. 
Kaila - Belgian Malinois
Shiner - Malinois x Ridgeback
Toulouse, Cayenne, Raven - DSH

Due to recent budget cuts and the rising cost of electricity, gas and oil, as well as current market conditions, the Light at the End of the Tunnel has been turned off. We apologize for the inconvenience

Lyn

« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2006, 02:56:47 am »
The funny thing is there are not many Saints in my town, yet there are so many people here that think they know everything about them. I have asked quite a few of the 'know it all's' how many Saints they have actually met in person. Most of them admit that Lola is the first one. ::) Watching the Beethoven movies doesn't count. LOL

Alot of people mention that she has a very sweet soft expression. That must be what makes her seem so approachable. It's good in the sense that it's helping socialize her. But then we get to deal with the morons too. :-\

You should see the difference when we take Bubba into town. People get as far away as possible. No one stops to pet him or ask questions. I kinda like it. LOL

Kiahpyr

« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2006, 03:03:28 am »
Poor Lola!! She's beautiful with her half mask. When I tell people what Kiah is they say oh I have a friend who has a black one. I tell them that pyrs don't come in black and maybe it's a newf. They still argue with me. >:(

Some people are just stupid!

chaosndestruction

« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2006, 05:07:26 am »
SHe's gorgeous no matter what the nay sayers say!!!! Isn't funny how most of the "know it alls" don't really know much of anything?

Doghealer--OMG I can't believe how good Leeloo looks! I remember the pics from when you first got her!

Offline Saintgirl

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2006, 05:24:10 am »
I know what you mean about there not being many Saints around, we don't have many around here either. But you wouldn't know that by all of the people who talk like they know all about the breed. Lola is one beautiful girl, and her half mask doesn't make her look any less Saint like, it makes her look gorgeous!!! The main thing that we hear is he can't be a Saint if he doesn't have long hair, and no matter what you try to say to these people they are the ones that know the truth and we are the ones with the wool pulled down over our eyes!! Those Beethoven movies have led the know-it-alls of the world to think that all Saints look the same :-\.
Leah, Hutch, and Abbey

Offline aggghgmom

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2006, 05:24:30 am »
Harley is either a anorexic black lab or a black Irish Setter?  Then I say no he is a Flat Coated Retriever and people think I'm nuts...no such thing...Whats a Black Coated Retriever?  Are you sure he isn't a lab?

Lola you are the best looking...york ie I have ever seen!!

Truly, you are just gorgeous and don't let the uninformed tell you otherwise!!!

Randy & Harley