Author Topic: Pics Female Rescue, foot and scar on the chest  (Read 5190 times)

bigdogs@5501

Pics Female Rescue, foot and scar on the chest
« on: September 09, 2006, 01:34:32 pm »
Any one seen anything like this on the feet of thier Danes? Jake has something similiar, but not as pronounced. Could this be something that is exaggerated on her because she is so malnourished. Also this is the scar on her chest. I have no idea what this could have caused this. The shelter that I pulled them from doesnt even have a vet on staff. I do not even want to think of how they would have been euthanized.

Offline Kermit

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
Re: Pics Female Rescue, foot and scar on the chest
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2006, 01:42:26 pm »
Any one seen anything like this on the feet of thier Danes? Jake has something similiar, but not as pronounced. Could this be something that is exaggerated on her because she is so malnourished. Also this is the scar on her chest. I have no idea what this could have caused this. The shelter that I pulled them from doesnt even have a vet on staff. I do not even want to think of how they would have been euthanized.

Ummm.... I am not seeing any pictures... :-\

bigdogs@5501

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2006, 01:46:41 pm »
curse the dial up

Offline Kermit

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2006, 02:01:22 pm »
Oh lordy that scar IS awful! Poor baby!! :'( There's no telling what she has had to endure!!!

As for the knot on her foot, I have seen something similar on my old foster Dane, Sammy. Is it warm to the touch? On Sammy it was, and it turned out to be a sprain. He healed up just fine, he just took some anti-inflammatories.

Actually come to think of it I have seen a lick-granuloma that sorta looked like that, too. It was on Darwin, my first foster Dane, and it healed up no problem. :)

Offline kathryn

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2006, 02:03:46 pm »
The scar on the chest almost looks like an old incision scar.  The foot, I'm not sure.  I had a dalmation/lab cross that got a knot on her foot and it wound up being a ball of ingrown fur.  The vet said it happens sometimes from rubbing when they are laying down that the fur grows in and then forms a ball.  Maybe something like that.
Kaila - Belgian Malinois
Shiner - Malinois x Ridgeback
Toulouse, Cayenne, Raven - DSH

Due to recent budget cuts and the rising cost of electricity, gas and oil, as well as current market conditions, the Light at the End of the Tunnel has been turned off. We apologize for the inconvenience

Offline Saint and Mal mom

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2006, 02:09:12 pm »
That scar...it's too straight-edged to be from a bite or anything. Maybe an old surgery for something? Or else, got caught on something straight and sharp? Sorry, not trying to make anyone cringe or anything! But it does seem to have healed pretty well. I wouldn't worry about it too much. Sorry! I'm no help on the foot thing!
Marissa

Zoey- Alaskan Malamute, 4 years
Dolly, CGC- Saint Bernard, 4 years
Foster mom to Clarence- Basset Hound, 5 years

"To be loved by...any animal should fill us with awe-for we have not deserved it."

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2006, 02:12:32 pm »
I don't know about the foot, but the scar looks to me like an incision. And based on the size, location, and breed of dog, my best bet is that it is from a stomach tack (to prevent or correct bloat)
RIP former BPO

Offline kathryn

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2006, 02:16:57 pm »
Don't they generally do stomach tacks when they spay them?  I've never owned a dog that had a stomach tack so don't know about them.  Just thinking if they did it with a spay that it would be lower on her body. 
Kaila - Belgian Malinois
Shiner - Malinois x Ridgeback
Toulouse, Cayenne, Raven - DSH

Due to recent budget cuts and the rising cost of electricity, gas and oil, as well as current market conditions, the Light at the End of the Tunnel has been turned off. We apologize for the inconvenience

bigdogs@5501

« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2006, 02:27:05 pm »
Poor girl has not been spayed. She may even be pregnant now. And that is a whole other dilema for me. It was a bad situation where I retrieved them from. That particular city shelter was poorly run and even though the people working there really were nice- they didnt even have a vet on staff. I got a 10.00 rabies voucher that I had to pay for and a 40.00 pay/neuter voucher that I also had to pay for and they couldnt even tell me where to use the vouchers. I was hoping that Shelter Care would kick in with the free 30 day policy - but no, the city shelter really hasnt even looked into that yet.

Offline Kermit

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2006, 03:04:53 pm »
That really makes me want to become a veterinarian and move to your town and do low cost spaying and neutering. Dangit! How frustrating!!!!!!!
 :-[

Offline MSF

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2006, 04:53:25 pm »
Hey Bigdogs are you going to post pics of the male?

Offline Kermit

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2006, 05:32:01 pm »
Hey Bigdogs are you going to post pics of the male?
Pics of the male are in another thread...
http://www.bigpawsonly.com/index.php/topic,12578.msg157804.html#msg157804

he is very handsome!!!!

bigdogs@5501

« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2006, 12:40:59 am »
I am calling my vet tomorrow- Or I will just go by there and talk to her. I have a credit card and will just charge what I have to charge. HA. My daughter also works for a no kill shelter and she is going to talk to the vet there- and we will see if they will honor the voucher- if not I am going to get my reciepts and go and get my money back for that voucher that I had to purchase. That shelter is really messed up. You HAVE to purchase the 40.00 voucher for the neuter/spay and you HAVE to purchase the 10.00 rabies voucher. But they cant tell you of anyone who will take those vouchers. HA  - What a joke.

Offline Jason

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2006, 01:43:13 am »
That scar reminds me of Oreo's scar from Gastroplexy. Same location, but Oreo's was much longer. I would have guessed it was from a stomach tack, but you said she hasn't been spayed yet and I would doubt they would have tacked and not spayed. It does look like an incision scar though. If it is any consolation, my pup's scar healed up to the point that you can't see it anymore (4 years later). I was going to shot a picture of it, but it's not even visible.

Jason