Author Topic: We have an answer to the question of Chester's dad......  (Read 4230 times)

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
We have an answer to the question of Chester's dad......
« on: September 11, 2006, 11:17:22 am »
The breeder thinks he died of heat stroke.  He was playing with one of the other Newfs (78 degrees but humid) and hesitated coming in, which he never did.  When the breeder checked on him, he was gone  :'( :'( :'( :'(

It just doesn't seem like it was hot enough, but I really know nothing about heat stroke except we need to avoid it!!!

I'm so sad!!
« Last Edit: September 11, 2006, 11:19:14 am by newflvr »

Kirsti

Re: We have an answer to the question of Chester's dad......
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2006, 12:29:07 pm »
Thats so sad!!! Your right, it doesn't seem that hot.. it gets up to the 100's where I am..I never thought about heat stroke... (my baby's always in where its cooler)... anyone have any information on it? I personally would like to know more...
We all need to watch out for our furkids during the summer and anyother time its extreamly hot.

~K

Offline Jessdryden

• Supreme Drooler
  • My girls
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2006, 12:31:28 pm »
I'm so sorry to hear this.  It is so sad. :(

Offline kathryn

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2006, 01:33:47 pm »
If it was really sunny and he was running alot and in full coat and as an older dog then yes he could get heat stroke in 78 degree weather.  It really depends on what was happening with play and how sunny it was.  Even with a wind he could still develop heat stroke.  I'm so sorry that happened. 

Kat   
Kaila - Belgian Malinois
Shiner - Malinois x Ridgeback
Toulouse, Cayenne, Raven - DSH

Due to recent budget cuts and the rising cost of electricity, gas and oil, as well as current market conditions, the Light at the End of the Tunnel has been turned off. We apologize for the inconvenience

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2006, 01:43:26 pm »
If it was really sunny and he was running alot and in full coat and as an older dog then yes he could get heat stroke in 78 degree weather.  It really depends on what was happening with play and how sunny it was.  Even with a wind he could still develop heat stroke.  I'm so sorry that happened. 

Kat   

Apparently it was drizzling and only 78 degrees.  I think he was only about 4 years old...certainl y no older than 5 and, because he's a show dog, he's groomed constantly.  I would think he wouldn't have much under-coat at this time of year.  I'm going to have to learn more about this!!!

Offline kathryn

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2006, 01:48:13 pm »
Yeah, that doesn't sound like it would cause heat stroke then.  I know that around here even when it's cooler if the heat index is really high we still have to watch out for heat stroke but I wouldn't think that would be an issue with drizzle and he wasn't very old.   
Kaila - Belgian Malinois
Shiner - Malinois x Ridgeback
Toulouse, Cayenne, Raven - DSH

Due to recent budget cuts and the rising cost of electricity, gas and oil, as well as current market conditions, the Light at the End of the Tunnel has been turned off. We apologize for the inconvenience

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2006, 02:33:56 pm »
Maybe more a underlying problem with his heart? I know he didn't have SAS because he was tested for that before he was used as a stud.  Maybe that makes more sense?

Offline sc.trojans

• Big Paws-a-holic
  • Gracie and Skylar
    • View Profile
    • Natural K9
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2006, 04:29:55 pm »

I am so sorry to hear this - how trajic.  There are clear signs of heat stroke however so if your breeder saw these, there would be greater clarity.  I do know that 78 degrees, especially with high humidity, is plenty to kill a dog.  My Bernese Mtn. Dog doesn't step outside in 78 degrees and has no interest - we do our walks and free runs in 73 or less only. Since heat stroke is the body overheating, this can happen in a variety of situations and temps however.

Very sad....
SC Trojans
with Gracie and Skylar

Offline BarkleysMum

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
    • Our Picture Trail Albums
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2006, 12:28:51 am »
What a shame.....he was such a beautiful big guy!
Sandy
Newly owned by Anna Banana, kind of owned by Sheba
and always remembering Barkley - crossed the Bridge on May 19, 2006.

Nicole

« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2006, 01:08:19 am »
Awwww...Mari! That is sad and scary! It makes you really reconsider what is too hot for the dogs. I'm sorry!  :'(