Author Topic: nursing  (Read 7864 times)

Offline jules

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
nursing
« on: March 20, 2005, 10:14:48 am »
Was wandering if anyones pup acts like their nursing on a stuffed animal.Spotaki ss has been doing it since I brought him home at 6 weeks and hes 4 months old now.It seems to relax him.Heres a pic.

Offline wysiwygdoberman

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
    • Wysiwyg Dobermans
Re: nursing
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2005, 10:24:00 am »
I have known and had adults that would suck on things, usually their 'blankies'.  It is a soothing action and I guess sort of stress relieving so I never worried about it.  It does make for some gunky slobbery blankets laying around though.  The dogs I have had that did it had specific items/blankies/toys that they would suck on.   I had an old dog, Eric, that sucked his blankie all his life - it never bothered his teeth/bite and it seemed so pleasant for him, I just let him do it.
Nancy and Sid
Am/UDC/Int'l Ch Lancaster's Sassi Godiva, ROM, BH, CD, D-CD, ATT, STT, G-FFB (D-ZTP) E1A, CHIC, Sch/VPG A

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2005, 10:31:24 am »
Bear's best friend Kobe does it and has done since he came home. He'll even sleep with his mouth open on his baby. Bear however, doesn't nurse with his babies but he does love each and everyone of them to death!  :) Guess this is as close to your pic as we have...
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

Offline raaleppo

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
    • Raaleppo Saint Bernards
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2005, 04:45:03 pm »
Hi
I think you will find if the pup was only six weeks old when it came to you it was way to young to be away from it's Mum
Therefore  the toy gives him security
At four months of age it is the time to wean him as he will be in the transition stage between 4-6 months
If not you could end up with a very insecure adult
That is why we have a la here  pups are not to leave  the nest until at least 8 weeks of age
Ann Oppelaar